What's new

Strain selection for outdoor 2012....

have you rocked cherry pie in the 200 gals before? if so what kinda yields did she produce and when does she finish? i'm wondering the same for the cookies... as well as how hardy it will be outside. my best guess is that the cookies will finish later than the pie.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
my biggest cherry pie in a 200 was 2.5 LBs but it was only my 2nd year growing outdoors...turned dark purple and we left it in the rain into the first few weeks of october...zero mold, real hardy plant..excellent bag appeal the LBs were almost all dark purple so they moved fast...

my friend in mendo who is a veteran grower got around 3lbs per 200 gal, and he religiously gets 5lbs with other strains...but then again he was selling his outdoor cherry pie for 2500 a LB in san francisco to the clubs...where as his other random strain outdoors were only getting 1500....so it evens out a bit..

im trying to dig up that outdoor cookie pic but my friend deleted his flickr...i posted pics somewhere in the GS cookies thread..

damn 25 sounds high for inside these days... hahah. i'll have to check for legit cuts of cherry pie. what else is on your plate for the year? have you ever thought about going with bigger bags... 600s maybe?

HorseMouth

2 Black Boxes for me this year. Both are in raised beds.

Blue Dreams, Super Silver Hazes.

GL to all. I'll run a thread for 'em.

Peace

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
yea 25 is more than lots of indoor goes for...but it was some of the best outdoors ive seen most folks could not tell the difference. swollen nugs with tons of flavor...we ran the same cut and his came out 2x better for sure...it was also better than most indoor cherry pie that some of the SF warehouse guys were running, CP was bred outdoors so she shines in mendo sun..

might be forced to do some big pots this year since the mendo plant counts got altered, so gotta get the most yield per pot...other than that, my other outdoor spot is gonna be lots and lots of smaller 50 gal pots..

mendo420

Veteran
the mendo plant counts got altered, so gotta get the most yield per pot...other than that, my other outdoor spot is gonna be lots and lots of smaller 50 gal pots..

What the F^@%$& are you smokn? Guess I need to get cookies.

You better check Section 9.31.040 Limitation on Number of Plants.

Their is no change in the # of plants you can run in Mendocino. Its been 25 for years.

Stop spreading roomers!!!! :bashhead::nono: :spank:

Roomers? lol .. Rumors

Oh yeah getting some sensi maple-leaf indica beans ordered .. Pop em, veg em, select females, take cuts and flower a few males for pollen to make more beans

Might get some Durban if the wife allows it ;) :laughing:

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
I'll be running the Gangster Purps in 15 gallon pots this year as space is an issue. Here in Butte county I think we're only allowed 6 mature flowering females (with restrictions) so I might go as high as 20 gallon containers to increase my medical yield.

G

guest8905

kgb- if you step it up to 100 gallons youll get such a bigger yield. Bitter roots = more buds

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
What the F^@%$& are you smokn? Guess I need to get cookies.

You better check Section 9.31.040 Limitation on Number of Plants.

Their is no change in the # of plants you can run in Mendocino. Its been 25 for years.

Stop spreading roomers!!!! :bashhead::nono: :spank:

it is the same in the regard that 25 is the safe plant count...but its different in that you go above 25 and the ziptie program no longer works...i guess mendo sheriff is still trying to implement the 99 ziptie programs....but after seeing northstone organics go down....i think it would be best to stay at 25, knew alot of buddies were pushing 99 per plot...if you were only growing 25 every year that it doesnt affect you but most gardens up there i saw were 50-99...a friend last year was doing 40-50 plants in 100 gal pots and getting 2-3 per plant...this year hes gonna have to do larger pots to maximize his yield off 25..

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2012/01/25/18705630.php

Federal Threats Change Local Marijuana Regulation
County approves rollback from 99 marijuana plants to 25.

The Mendocino County board of supervisors changed their ground breaking medical marijuana regulation, the 9.31 Ordinance, to thwart off threats from federal officials. The changes roll back the amount a medical marijuana grower can cultivate, from 99 marijuana plants per parcel, down to 25 and it eliminates the Sheriff’s Office from issuing permits to growers.

http://www.tokeofthetown.com/2012/01/mendocino_county_suspends_medical_marijuana_permit.php

the county's legal counsel advised Sheriff Allman to suspend the permits this year, pending the outcome of Pack vs Superior Court of Los Angeles. A state appellate court ruled that the permitting process in that case exceeded local government authority to regulate cannabis.

The case is pending before the California Supreme Court, which will decide by February 8 whether to hear it.

The Mendocino County district attorney is advising medical marijuana growers to tag their plants with sheriff-issued zip ties to lessen their chances of prosecution.

“Participation (in the zip-tie program) will continue to be one factor considered by the prosecuting attorney if allegations come before him of criminal wrongdoing,” Mendocino County District Attorney David Eyster said in a written statement issued Thursday afternoon.

Skeptics question whether it's a good idea to register pot-growing operations with the sheriff's office, given the recent federal crackdown on cooperatives, dispensaries and the people who rent to them.

“It seems to me growers wouldn't want to be on any record when they know that the justice department is so closely looking over the shoulder of Mendocino County,” said Mendocino County Supervisor Dan Hamburg, who also is a medicinal marijuana patient.

Eyster issued the statement to address confusion about local medical marijuana regulations that has arisen since the county ended its permitting process, which allowed up to 99 plants, said Mike Geniella, spokesman for the district attorney's office. The county abandoned the permits earlier this year after federal authorities threatened legal action. Marijuana growing remains illegal under federal law and the U.S. Department of Justice last year began cracking down on pot growing and selling operations, including ones approved by the county.

The county's ordinance now limits pot growing to 25 plants per parcel.

i heard about the end of the zip-tie program, but i didn't know about the reduction from 99 to 25. hopefully your county fights back, but i wouldn't hold my breath. if you are limited to 25 why not go all out and get some 1000gal bags and shoot for the moon? i imagine that many farmers in mendo will say fuck it and still rock 99.

What's the appeal of growing in such a large container(1000gal bag) rather than putting a plant in the ground?

Might as well got a much cheaper route .. Borrow an excavator, dig some quick 4x4 holes .. Fill those and call it a day .. In ground has no restrictions and trace minerals are easier for the plants to acquire rather than buying thousands if gallons of soil and hundreds of lvs of fertilizers

GG, i definitely see where you are coming from. i have seen some amazing plants grown in amended and non-amended native soil. i have also seen people lose several plants due to poor drainage and the presence of soilborne pathogens when they planted directly in native soil or directly filled holes with a custom soil blend. obviously there are also certain soils (e.g. red clay hardpans that have a lot of Al and FeIII) that just are not conducive to maximizing yield and quality. on the other hand, when experienced growers get their scheduling nailed down and treat their ladies right, 600+ gal grow bags will nearly always provide stupendous yields and superb quality. on the other hand, 300 to 500 yards of soil is a lot. at that point you either have to be willing to drop dumbass loot on preblended soil or get clever and find the cheapest high quality bulk components and go from there.

Bullfrog44

Veteran
Smart pots get a lot more air to the roots also. Your roots have three sides that are always hitting air. In the ground you only get the top of the plant. More air = more roots.

True that, bullfrog. Have you used airpots before? those allow for even more air diffusion. I have also head of folks submerging airlines at the bottom of their holes to inject air into the soil.

On another note, anyone ever rock "pair-of-dice"'s white berry outside? its pretty fast indoors and is fairly hardy, though can be susceptible to mold if you foliar later than a few weeks into bloom.

G

guest8905

i think if you stick to 25 your safe as suzy

Last edited:

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
from the air the general "word on the street" is that the cops check out plots with 50+ plants with more scrutiny....heard this from several sources in different counties, talked to a guy who has family working for DA so he sees that gets prosecuted....

the odds of a compliance check or raid increase the more plants you put out....i read about a bust in 2011 where the guy only had 130 outdoor plants...thats kind of close for comfort..

another grower out that way had almost 300 but he was smart and spaced them out into gardens of 90 each...seperated by hundreds of yards...if you got big acres that works nice.

ive done aerial flyovers of many counties in norcal and trust me ive seenn those big ones lol, but theres WAYY more smaller ones of 25 and a giant 100+ plot sticks out like a sore thumb.......those guys are going all out, props to them but for me gonna stick to the state limits it gives best chance of defense in court....last thing i want is federal charges of cultivation of 100+...people take it too easy out there sometimes thinkin 215 is some magical defense, regardless i still think mendo is a safe place to grow compared to other counties..its nice that sheriff allman backs his people and the local government has 215 patients..

V

Veg N Out

IMHO smart pots are a bad idea. Anything that restricts the root growth of the plant , ultimately restricts the plant. In mounds for the win! Every major commercial agriculture uses mounds...

Still goin to do The DOG, North 101, and Humboldt Snow...

odkin

Man you guys blow me away. Here in south Ont, Harper is mandating 6months for 6 or more plants. Consequently, it is going to be 5 or less outside this summer.

What I would give to be able to grow 25 ..... Let alone 99!

Latest posts

Latest posts