What's new

Strain Hunters - Greenhouse Seeds Co.

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
yeah i agree with you sumdumguy, i mean at the end of the day no one here is 100% original even if they claim to be... even those who used landraces will most likely be using the work of 1000s of years of domestication by people in the areas they came from yet they pay no homage to them do they? the fact that people take other strains out their breed it up and sell them through their own company, while it may be fairly tactless if they don't ask permission etc, if they keep the name of the strain they're hardly being sneaky etc... it's there for everyone to see that they've just bred their own stock and sold it whether or not you think it's ok. if you don't like it, like me and anyone else you have the right to not buy their stuff.

and joe fresh LOL skinny hash making santa what a perfect analogy hahah did you see the house he said he lived in for so many years? it looked like a massive rock had come and crushed it! crazy life he must've had!

Spoken so eloquently DarwinsBullDog... Now I hope people reconsider who or what it is they are really hating on after reading your thoughtful post. Thousands upon thousands of years.

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
K guys searched high and low.. It is definitely not out. Just the trailer. I guess I'll keep waiting for this one. Also there are no links or info as to whether you can buy it so it's not even up for sale. Just not out yet.. Arghh... This shit is just like National Geographic. I love it!! You can be the most anti cannabis individual and still enjoy this show for the wealth of information on a plant that was around during the stone age..

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
i think we need to get a petition going in the greenhouse forum to get them to release it....i figure with enough ppl complaining it aint out yet, they might be forced to release it.....no?

gkn

Dude I think that WhiteWidow is their flagship strain.

White Widow is a work of Shantibaba, breeder of Mr. Nice Seeds. He said that GH's breeder has never seen the original parents of WW, wich are a Brazilian Manga Rosa and an Indian strain i don't remember now. So if that's their 'flagship strain' you get an idea of why some people don't like them...It's true most of what they sell is somebody else's work, but sadly that is true for most of the seed banks out there.

I think this 'Strain Hunters' dvd is nothing but a marketing move. Not one single strain of what they sell has been collected in this trips. Would like to see it if they do in the future but i seriously doubt it.

I'm not a hater and didn't say this with hate, just expressed my point of view so maybe you understand why many people don't like them.

saludos

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
cheers for the input gkn, i don't know too much about the history but have heard many things along the same lines, and you're right i haven't seen them release anything related to the stuff they've collected which is a little strange, you think you'd take full advantage of those incredible finds. just the idea of going out searching for cultivars was pretty cool, would have some epic adventures! haha but yeah screw the big money cats out there in this business and any others.

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
White Widow is a work of Shantibaba, breeder of Mr. Nice Seeds. He said that GH's breeder has never seen the original parents of WW, wich are a Brazilian Manga Rosa and an Indian strain i don't remember now. So if that's their 'flagship strain' you get an idea of why some people don't like them...It's true most of what they sell is somebody else's work, but sadly that is true for most of the seed banks out there.

I think this 'Strain Hunters' dvd is nothing but a marketing move. Not one single strain of what they sell has been collected in this trips. Would like to see it if they do in the future but i seriously doubt it.

I'm not a hater and didn't say this with hate, just expressed my point of view so maybe you understand why many people don't like them.

saludos

Thank you GKN,
I appreciate your input and can understand it now from your point of view.

And I really hop they produce that Malawi Gold. Shit looked sick.

bun1

The strain hunters India video is not out yet, but it is finished. It will be shown for the first time at the Treating Yourself Medical Marijuana & Hemp Show here in Toronto this Friday followed by a Q&A with Arjan & Franco.

I can't wait to see it this Friday :)

Why doesn't Arjan and Franco travel to Mexico and collect some Mexican Sativas like Highland Oaxacan Gold, Michucon Brown Spears, Guerriero Gold and such. These landraces are not carried by any seedbank I've found (Thanks in no small part to US/Mexican eradication programs)

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Lets be honest... this Strain Hunters bullshit is going to kill the cannabis diversity... they are just exploiting some of the last landrace reserves and providing the traditional cultivators with wack feminised and skunks, so no other could get the original landraces!

Thats not cannabis conservationism, thats just how to get more money than others! Fuck GHSCO.

g0vnaa

ICE Cream eater
Veteran
From where do you know they provide cultivators with Skuns.
Did you imagine that or you have some solid info.
Sound stupid and unreal..

ngakpa

Veteran
From where do you know they provide cultivators with Skunks.
Did you imagine that or you have some solid info.
Sound stupid and unreal..

in the Strain Hunters Malawi Arjan says that he wants to provide African growers with feminised seed --- just watch the video

fortunately the ganja culture in Africa and Asia has not become Americanised like Mexico and South America, where mafia provide seed and you end up with third rate American/Dutch "skunk" hybrids

this needs checking, but I think in his Indian article, Franco (is that his name? the Italian guy) also mentions giving seeds to people in India --- hopefully they should get annihilated by the monsoon rains in the Himalaya

g0vnaa

ICE Cream eater
Veteran
Well he said femed malawis.
I didn`t hear anything about giving them different varieties..

ngakpa

Veteran
did he specify that? I don't remember it

either way, thank god that African ganja farmers having to buy feminised seed from Holland every year is not a situation that is ever likely to happen

I have no problem with people genuinely improving many of the vars. grown in Africa, if they are in fact improving them --- take a pure ACE Malawi back to Malawi, sure ---- but the thought of the "improving" Malawi strains by feminising them... christ, as if African farmers don't have enough problems to deal with already

Plenty of mj pollen flying through the air that will cross pollenate any femmed seed that can actually survive outdoor conditions of Africa and India. Then within a couple of generations it will be bred out.

ngakpa

Veteran
Plenty of mj pollen flying through the air that will cross pollenate any femmed seed that can actually survive outdoor conditions of Africa and India. Then within a couple of generations it will be bred out.

that's not accurate

if the seeds of the feminised plants are not viable, and they don't get stressed and shed pollen, then it's fine, no damage has been done

but if the seeds can pop, or if the feminised plants get stressed and shed pollen, as they can do, then you have introduced new genetics into the environment

if you think that is not a big deal, then get informed

have a look at what has happened with other old heirloom crops and breeds --- it's not only species in rainforests which are vanishing, heirloom breeds of animals and plants are disappearing around the globe

for example: farm breeds in SE Asia have been lost forever by introducing Western breeds e.g. with local pig breeds in Vietnam --- they become hybridised, and the old breed is diluted out of existence, and only hybrids remain --- the hybrids underperform: they can't handle the conditions, they don't do well on the local diet, they produce inferior meat etc. etc. ... and there is no way to get the old breed back - once gone it is lost forvever

altering the genepool by introducing foreign genetics is a one way street - once you start doing it there is no going back

selective pressures of the local environment will continue to press for plants which do well under local conditions, but once the new genes are introduced, you will never again have the pure varieties --- which have adapted to those locations for millenia and are there in their pure state

like I say, get informed before everywhere ends up with cannabis breeds like Mexico or Colombia with their underperforming hybridised mafia genetic slop --- you have a responisibility not to fuck up genepools which have taken millenia to evolve

Baba Ku

Veteran
A population of indigenous cannabis is not going to hold the same traits and expressions today that it held yesterday. Mutation and other genetic mechanisms are constantly changing cannabis, with or without the help of man introducing another variety into the mix.
Even a population grown for preservation will drift in time. Nothing you can do to preserve what was, with growing populations.
And it is evident that cannabis is always changing -even an indigenous variety that is being cultivated by man is vastly more diverse than most any commercial seed, including poly-hybrids.

All we can really do is collect a snapshot in time of the plant in seed form. Once those seeds are not viable, or they are used as stock for a growing preservation, they are either gone forever or on the road to change.

Many tend to fall into the category of those who look at genetic preservation as something near holy. But, if the plant has a natural tendency to change, are we doing the right thing by even attempting to keeping it as it was?
Perhaps we are worrying more about the ego of man, rather than the holy aura of the plant.... (shrug)

We can already trace the roots of cannabis back to very narrow beginnings, and if we actually were to posses the genesis book of cannabis we would probably find that all are from a common pair.
So it makes sense that nature has spread and changed the genetic map of cannabis from the humble first beginning by beast, man, and elements. All natural things btw, and the actions of each of which are all completely natural. Including each and every move man makes.

Who are we to say that generations down the road there won't be talk amongst a similar group, singing the praises of the time long ago when a fabled olive skinned man brought gifts to the Dark Continent that ended up providing the start of the most beloved cannabis variety to ever grace the planet?

And as far as introducing fem seeds to the mix, there should be more concern about the introducing of regular seeds to an area, if the concern is the mixing of the genetic maps. By my math, there is a 50% increased chance of change when regular seeds are introduced than when feminized seeds are.
There is no genetic differences between the fem seeds and regular seeds, and the ones that have males will change a population faster than fems alone can.

jahgreenlabel

Veteran
that's not accurate

if the seeds of the feminised plants are not viable, and they don't get stressed and shed pollen, then it's fine, no damage has been done

but if the seeds can pop, or if the feminised plants get stressed and shed pollen, as they can do, then you have introduced new genetics into the environment

if you think that is not a big deal, then get informed

have a look at what has happened with other old heirloom crops and breeds --- it's not only species in rainforests which are vanishing, heirloom breeds of animals and plants are disappearing around the globe

for example: farm breeds in SE Asia have been lost forever by introducing Western breeds e.g. with local pig breeds in Vietnam --- they become hybridised, and the old breed is diluted out of existence, and only hybrids remain --- the hybrids underperform: they can't handle the conditions, they don't do well on the local diet, they produce inferior meat etc. etc. ... and there is no way to get the old breed back - once gone it is lost forvever

altering the genepool by introducing foreign genetics is a one way street - once you start doing it there is no going back

selective pressures of the local environment will continue to press for plants which do well under local conditions, but once the new genes are introduced, you will never again have the pure varieties --- which have adapted to those locations for millenia and are there in their pure state

like I say, get informed before everywhere ends up with cannabis breeds like Mexico or Colombia with their underperforming hybridised mafia genetic slop --- you have a responisibility not to fuck up genepools which have taken millenia to evolve

+ 10000