What's new

Strain for fighting depression

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So do nothing and be depressed ? Take prozac and dont be depressed but be a zombie. ? Smoke pot and feel good ? Smoke some more instead of taking another prozac ?? what would you rather do ....nothing ?? or take the big drug companys bullshit and be their guineapig. Or smoke pot ?? hmmmmm ??Looks like a no brainer to alot of us. What would you reccomend?

bobbyp

That is very true my friend , I tried therapy, shrinks and self help groups they didn't work for me , if they work for you that's fine, Pot helped me get thru this period in my life but it is not the answer , at least not for me.. Medication works for me. but not all the time , pot helps me even out a bit.

The Budfather

BABBA HAVE YOU EVEN READ ANYTHING IVE POSTED im not saying sit around and do nothing im saying to take your life by the horns figure out whats wrong why are all these feeling whatsd making me sad, AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT........ not just get stoned and forget about then do the samething when that feeling comes around thats how the cycle works and once you get wrapped up in it its hard to get out. there is so much more to life than smoke, work come home smoke eat tv..........i f thats your life have fun its not gonna be mine.

IF I HAVE TO BOLD EVERYTHING FOR YOU TO READ IT I HOPE THIS WORKS
PAINT, WORKOUT, READ, GO OUTSIDE TO A PARK, FIND ACTIVITY, MEET SOMEONE, MAKE A CONNECTION, LEARN SOMETHING, PLAY MUSIC
THERE IS SO MUCH MORE TO LIFE THEN SMOKING A BOWL AND FORGETTING ABOUT THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AND IF YOU WANT YOU CAN SMOKE WHILE DOING THOSE THINGS

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
how bout you just quit yelling ..... did my post direct soemthing at you by saying budfather ?? this post was to everyone. I may have you on ignore because your mind is so closed. either way you dont need the bold we can all see your closed mind from here.

J

Jam Master Jaco

Babbabud said:
So do nothing and be depressed ? Take prozac and dont be depressed but be a zombie. ? Smoke pot and feel good ? Smoke some more instead of taking another prozac ?? what would you rather do ....nothing ?? or take the big drug companys bullshit and be their guineapig. Or smoke pot ?? hmmmmm ??Looks like a no brainer to alot of us. What would you reccomend?

Yes you can smoke pot and feel good....but then once you start coming down off that high you'll need to smoke again...and keep smoking to keep feeling good. But then what happens if you can't get weed? uh oh, depressed again. Depression is a chemical inbalance in the brain that weed can help level out. Ok awesome. But there is a reason for that chemical imbalance that is still not being addressed.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so your saying to just stay depressed because one day you may not be able to get mj ?? I dont understand your argument. Walk around depressed or smoke when you can and get relief ?? or take some wierd drug you truly no nothing about ?? I dont understand your argument ???

Devilock

babbabud, sounds like some scientologist are on this site lol. Blueberry is a great strain for a mood enhancer. Peace and *bong* :friends:

J

Jam Master Jaco

Eaglesvision, you seem pissed off that we questioned people's habits. You really want me to break down and say "yes..hahhaha....i put their panties in a bunch" but I'm not doing this for the attention. If I felt the need to gain a bunch of random ass internet people's attention I would sit down and ask myself why I wanted to do that. So let me do just that, "Why jam master, do you feel the need to disagree that depression cannot not be helped with weed". Well I feel the need to disagree since it does not work for me, and does not work for any of my friends. Their depression is caused by a lack of motivation to get a steady job so that they can support themselves. But the way they see it they are depressed because they don't smoke enough weed. That is my experience with it, it does not work. You can be depressed and keep smoking, and even enjoy the smoke, but as soon as you are sober Mr. Depression comes back full force. So now I sit on my butt in front of my computer and question how it would work for anyone else if it didn't work for the people I know in real life? Because I really think that it is NOT working for them, they just THINK it does once they get high. But then they get sober and get depressed.

But, if you want to rely on weed the rest of your life to keep you from depression or whatever. Sweet, have at it! But to deny the fact that you are only masking the problem and not solving it is just dumb. In my opinion.

genkisan

Cannabrex Formulator
Veteran
These two have been trying to preach their daily use = pot addiction and depression on a number of threads now.....

Let's all just ignore them and their closeminded, ignorant pomposity and arrogance, and mebbe they'll go away.

YOU may have had adverse reactions to using it daily, Budfather.......many of us have the opposite effect.

flogger350x450.jpg

Last edited:

genkisan

Cannabrex Formulator
Veteran
Casey Jones said:
Marijuana can be a wonderful Anti-Depressant!!

Trainwreck works wonders!!!!

I could write pages explaining why I think you are an idiot!!!

...But I'd be wasting my time :wallbash: :asskick:

lol!!

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

J

Jam Master Jaco

bobbyp said:
I think we should respect each others opinions and agree to disagree.

I agree. We could obviously dance in circles forever about this one. Screw it.

To whoever started this thread: Bubbakush gets me quite baked. maybe that would be good for your depression... :confused:

I

indicalover

Kind of funny how the folks with the depression are the most pissed off. Taking someone elses perspective and actually listening may actually be beneficial.

Dan42nepa

my wife was bipolar and i lived with her for 20 years until she passed away last april. Its a horrible disease, I have witnessed first hand the mood swings, paranoia, panic attacks and compulsive behavior. There was no cure for it only temporary relief of symptoms for a short period until the meds needed to be tweaked again. I dont think MJ would have helped her and probably would have made her worse. Things like seasonal non chemical imbalance based depression it may be ok for.

przcvctm

Jam Master Jaco said:
You can be depressed and keep smoking, and even enjoy the smoke, but as soon as you are sober Mr. Depression comes back full force.

I'd like to take a crack at why I think this is such a contentious issue wherever it's discussed; pick a medical MJ site, any site, and it's the same tired "I'm right, you're wrong" discussion.

As I see it, there are three broad subsets of pot smokers involved in the arguement. #1- Those who wouldn't know what real depression was if it bit them in the ass. #2-Those who suffer from depression and who receive no real theraputic benefit from cannabis but get relief from pharmacueticals. #3-Those, myself included, who are depressed, who have tried the pharmacueticals and got no relief, or in fact, had their symptoms exacerbated by traditional anti-depressants. Insert vowels into my user name and you'll get an idea what they did for me.

It would be stupid and presumptious on my part to forcefully suggest to the first two groups that medical cannabis works for everybody just because it works for me. Jam Master Jaco, to help you understand, it's not the "high" that brings me relief. I can vape before bed and wake up to happier, sunnier world. I can vape just a little at the beginning of a day and possess a creative, motivated mind. I once vaped too much to the point that I was in trouble for about three hours tripping my brains out. But, the depression didn't return for a couple of weeks. And to be clinically accurate, my psychiatric diagnosis is PTSD along with severe, chronic, refractory depression.

Why the heated debate? Did the original question at the beginning of the thread ever get answered? Maybe, when these threads arise in the future as they always will, it might be beneficial if the first two subsets remain silent on the issue. Because, really, if you fit into those first two catagories, what is it that you have to offer?

G

Jam Master - you can have physical depression after certain things. There is such a thing as adrenal fatigue syndrome, PTSD... things where your body actually just shuts down. This is what happened to me. It happened at a really young age, where I stressed myself out too much.

Totally messed with my life. I was a straight A student, top athlete, principal everyone liked me. Almost overnight I started ditching classes, grades dropped, stopped showering, pushed away family and friends, deep depression, etc etc etc. I was in 5th grade.

There are some things that are not just in the head I think. But when you have physical problems, its really easy to get depressed IN THE HEAD also... and that is the thing. If you have AIDS, or other bad problems, you can just start thinking really bad thoughts....

I think if you have depressive type symptoms, that are real and physical, a good thing to do is to smoke a few hits of a sativa throughout the day. It will give you the energy you need, and not "fuck you up". This worked for me. I felt pretty sober still, and my body was energized and able to move.

But to the original poster, I say there is nothing wrong with finding a sativa and puffing on it a bit. Thats what many laborers have done, including the Jamaicans, to keep going and working. Take a small hit or two off a joint is similar to drinking a cup of coffee or tea. Its just a stimulant effect...

Anyways, this is probably one of the most complicated topics.

I started this thread and I don't think I have depression in the clinical sense. Maybe denile is a symtom, I'm no expert. I quit smoking MJ for 6 months after more than 20 years of daily use. I quit alchohol too, although I was never a daily drinker. Just in case that was the cause. It didn't seem to help. My first crop is about to finish up and I have found joy in growing. I'm pretty new to growing so I was looking for some strain advise. I'm self employed and do work that is very creative, complex and satisfying. I think most of the street weed is mostly indica now. Every one wants that narcotic buzz. I enjoy the more uplifting buzz that I used to get 20 years ago when at work. I still enjoy the "couchlock" weed at night. I 've really learned alot here on IC mag even after being a smoker for more than 30 years. Will the sativa's be the answer for me? Looks like I'm going to have to grow some out and see. You don't go to the local weed salesman and say'I'll take some mexican, columbian and how"s the Thai today? The Kali Mist and Flo are on sale? Great". To them weed is weed and the more it screws up up the better and more expensive of course. After starting my grow I started to learn more here. The weed I'm growing probably isn't what I'm looking for. I was new and just picked a bunch of strains to start with. I've got bagseed (looks Indica to me), hashberry,NL,Lemon Stinky, and the freebies bubba Kush and DpxSK#1 going. Mandala #1 on the way. I thought that DPxSk#1 would be what I was looking for but out of 20 seeds only one sprouted(male). I'm about to finish up this grow and will be looking to try some more. I want the sativa type plants but I don't think they'll work inside the cabinet. I'm planning an outdoor grow but living about 45N lat. might be a problem also. I think the depression I'm suffering is due to all the stress in my life right now. I'm hoping a little herb will lift my spirits. Thanks again to all that have PM'd me and answered this thread.

G

20 years ago, before the indoor explosion, alot of the weed came from Mexico and South America. At least thats what I have read...so it was sativa...columbian red, mexican, etc.

Since indicas grow shorter, they are easier to grow indoors, so you get alot of indica dom plants.

Sativa is probably your answer, but there is more things you can do:

1) harvest your plants early. Depending on the exact strain, harvesting earlier can give you more of a stimulating buzz, instead of a narcotic couchlock. For instance, I harvested a aurora indica from Nirvana early...and it was really uppy.... if I had waited a few weeks it would have given me a couchlock buzz.

2) Use a vaporizer. Vaporizers seem to make any indica more of a sativa in effect. This way, you wouldn't have to worry so much about your strain. The vaporizers just kinda pull off the more stimulating chemicals out of the herb, and leave the more sedative behind.

I agree, most street dealers have no idea whats going on. I even talked to this one who supposedly new what he was talking about, but the more I asked him the more I realized he was fronting, and just pulling out names like indica and sativa because, well... because he wanted to sound more educated or something.

Thanks for the advice Indicad. That,s kind of what got me started. I had a friend gift me some of his outdoor grow this year. It was picked early and the buzz was exactly what I was looking for. Clean, clear, though provoking but still high. He got a little paranoid because of a fight with his old lady. So he choped it early. He had a grocery bag full of the stuff and asked me to hold it for him untill the heat was off. I did, and he gifted me a few generous handfulls. I don't know what strain it was, probably bagseed.

kiwi quad

i think the word depression is used too broadly these days,theres a big difference between havin a few bad or sad days and bein clinicly depressed,my cousin has been bi polar for 25yrs and when he's on a real low he wont leave the house or even have the radio or tv on and when he gets to the stage where he feels he cant get any worse he will relent and have a cone and he does feel a bit better for a couple of hours but even he admits it keeps him low for longer in the long run and when he's on a high mj has no real effect he can smoke and smoke to try and come down but it makes him worse therefore makin his low a lot worse as the longer he's elevated for the longer his low lasts,everybody's different but since he stopped drinking and only rarely smokes his episodes have been a lot fewer in the last few years and thats gotta be good,its only my opinion and im no med expert but i dont think anyone on anti-depressants should smoke to much,just cos its natural doesnt mean it cant be harmful,i'm sure a lot disagree but i just wanted to share my opinion,dont get me wrong i love mj and smoke everyday and it does wonders for my spasm i used to be on enough valium to put a horse to sleep but havnt had any for years,its just a pity its not legal for med users here,ijust read what i wrote and ive just been rambling on so thats it,remember you can still respect someones opinion without agreeing with it,peace out

Latest posts

Latest posts