What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strain for Breeding - What is a safe bet?

Lebanizer

Hey guys,
i do breeding my self and i do love it.. i just love this plant.

I do plan already the next run (creating an F4).
But i do search for some informations.. and i do hope that iam right here?

Do u guys know which strain is a safe bet to buy and breed?
Maybe do a F2 - F8 what ever or just get the best male/female and put it on my F3 SVH.

Is there any IBL's that i could buy? I know that Khalifa Genetics is a really good breeder. I do have his Afghan Lemon on my list..
Important for me is the sexually stability.. so no herms.. I hope i can get help here or a discussion :)
Try mandala seeds. they have lots of good stuff.

Ttutorial

420club
winner@420giveaway
I would love to get the OG KUSH F5 from humboldt seed company..
BUT SADLY they just have fems.. I believe they got regs.. but not available anymore.
They were so stable and all were homogeneous.

Back to Ace Seeds.
I got that on my List:
Bangi Haze
Bangi Haze x Panama
Panama
Maaaybe MALAWI?

Dont know, i dont wanna go over 10 weeks of flower.

PCK x Bubba Kush
Violeta
PCK

What would u choose? To do crosses? And what would u think would be a awesome partner in terms of terps?
I do think the PCK x Bubba Kush x to gas or fruity (real fruity) would be awesome.

PS: i can get just seeds from europe, so archive seeds is not avaible for me for example.

And btw, i really dont know if its okay to put fem seeds with reg seeds?
I did some from Khalifa because it just exist in fem but.. i dont know? I think i would take reg x reg over fem x reg all day, everyday :D

Last edited:
I think its probably helpful to have a goal in mind for what you want to produce.

I'm doing some work with sour d, just trying to preserve the strain but i also have started some blueberry muffin with the goal in mind of improving the potency whilst keeping the incredible flavour.
I agree with having a goal. I’m new to making seeds. Last season I thought I was being super careful with pollination; pollened with a paintbbrush on a few selected flowers, and ended up pollinating all my outdoor plants. Still good smoke, but full of seeds. In my inexperienced state of mind, I harvested too early for the seeds to mature, but again still good smoke. This season I’m going for another approach. Outdoor grow with all females in one location, a selected male & female ( OG Kush & Skunk) mad doggin‘ it in another spot 45 miles away.
My goal is to make a lot of seeds for the upcoming political shit show. Am I crazy?

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
It's great to see people reaching out for help and for members of this great family to pitch in and help. Personally I believe I have had Ace genetics in my rotation in one form or another for the last 15 years now.

This season I will have the Thai Chi in for the 2024 season, I'm looking forward to seeing her in my greenhouse. Don't just rely on great genetics, look at every decision that you make and ask what would be the best possible choice? How close can I get to that goal?

Try to find one way to improve your growing environmental conditions every grow.
Peace farmerlion

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree with having a goal. I’m new to making seeds. Last season I thought I was being super careful with pollination; pollened with a paintbbrush on a few selected flowers, and ended up pollinating all my outdoor plants. Still good smoke, but full of seeds. In my inexperienced state of mind, I harvested too early for the seeds to mature, but again still good smoke. This season I’m going for another approach. Outdoor grow with all females in one location, a selected male & female ( OG Kush & Skunk) mad doggin‘ it in another spot 45 miles away.
My goal is to make a lot of seeds for the upcoming political shit show. Am I crazy?
Thats a shame, nothing worse than seeded with immature unviable seed, you wanna be able to see the calyx split open and a ripe seed popping out.
Its the selection that is the difficult part, i generally like to select a female keeper or two, make some clones and pollinate those with a couple of selected males. Usually I would not pollinate the whole plant unless i wanted thousands of seeds. Most of the time i like to make just 20 - 50 in a single bud.

Lebanizer

If the seeds are well formed and white/greenish, I suggest you give them a try, they can surprise you. If the seeds are malformed and kind of shriveled then yeah just toss them.

Ttutorial

420club
winner@420giveaway
When to harvest?
If u pollinate day 25-30.. On day 70 to 77?

Even lollipopp the shit out of the plants, maybe 40-50 % so all will be ready at once?

Ttutorial

420club
winner@420giveaway
What can i get out of:
2x 3.9 gallons
1x 3 gallon
3x 3 gallon plants? 30.000 seeds? I think i was a little bit.... i dont know got my 5 minits or so xD

Nannymouse

If looking for actual haze, the Bangi...i think that i read that there is actually very little haze in there, but people seem delighted with it. Have not tried it, personally. Haze seems to be one of those words that is also 'slang' for 'sativa'.

CharlesU Farley

After you've chosen the seed varieties that you like, have grown them several times and know how to spot the occasional "special " pistillate and staminate plants, you can start doing this:

1000005272.jpg

Ttutorial

420club
winner@420giveaway
After you've chosen the seed varieties that you like, have grown them several times and know how to spot the occasional "special " pistillate and staminate plants, you can start doing this:

View attachment 18970617
Thank you!
So, i do crossing now my F3 from 2 F2's.

That was Shanti is saying is cross the F2,F3,F4's all with the F1 Male?
But i wanted to do Generation for Generation with the seeds ive get, is that not a thing or what?

Do my F3's
Search for best male and 2 females..
Get my F4
And so on till iam F7-F9 (IBL). But not with the same father... And shanti is doing it with the same male (F1 or F2) everytime?

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
What is the goal going to f7? What traits are you trying to fix? Is a male and two females enough to stabilize a strain? It seems the plants would suffer inbreeding depression by that time.

CharlesU Farley

But i wanted to do Generation for Generation with the seeds ive get, is that not a thing or what?

Do my F3's
Search for best male and 2 females..
Get my F4
And so on till iam F7-F9 (IBL). But not with the same father... And shanti is doing it with the same male (F1 or F2) everytime?
From the Experimentation section of my website:

"At the beginning, I decided to have two seperate variations of seeds. One would be straight matings of F1 to F1, F2 to F2, etc, a complete, inline bred seed. The other variation would be back-crossed, side-crossed, and forward-crossed more than a West Virginia hillbilly.

For the entire F2 generation, I used ideas I learned from Vic High on the BCGA forum and selected accordingly. There really wasn't a whole lot to it, as the plants were just so uniformly, consistantly good. There wasn't much variation at all, so I selected the most vigourous and dominant males to match up with best rooted females. F3 was just as stable, so that's when I started back-crossing.

Then 9/11 happened...

I decided to let the plants show me how they wanted to grow."

And that's what I've done since then.

From my experience out to F11, back crossing/side crossing is the way to go, mixing multiple generations, not just sequential ones. A strict, inbred, IBL line just kind of goes to hell after F7-F8, at least for me.

CharlesU Farley

What is the goal going to f7? What traits are you trying to fix? Is a male and two females enough to stabilize a strain? It seems the plants would suffer inbreeding depression by that time.
IBL depression is a definite thing. Mike from Peak BC Seeds introduced a alternate Northern Lights into his breeding for this very reason. I have decided to concentrate on the Type II/Indica portion of NL, that I reverse engineered from Sensi''s NL, to avoid IBL depression.

Ttutorial

420club
winner@420giveaway
Hi!
Im more then happy to answer that.
Im a guy, i cannot go and do something with like 50%, u know what i mean? Im full in, 100% or nothing.
Otherwise i cannot function, and i do know otherwise i would fuck up everything ( i dont think its a pro to my character but it is what it is).

I just use this F2 (2 males and 2 females, just 1 male the other male: his pollen in the freezer for further BX1) do create some seeds, then i will go full selection, so it doesnt has to be inbreed depression, right?

I use then the F3 generation, but i do search the 2 best plants from it, make a clone and BX1 it with SVH#1 and SVH# 2 male. Because these are special.
I do hope each generation to do the BX is a smart idea? Just in case? I mean its taking 1 clone and get him full with the pollen of the older generation - In my Head it is why not, right?

But i do then work on the F4 line, with 2 F3's.
NOT THE OLDER GENERATION what u meant.
Untill i reach IBL-Status. I do think thats F7-F9?
With 2 of these Strains ill doing my F1-Hybrid cross with GOALS.
I got a zkittlez pheno there - so no beatiful nugs :/

On this particular plant i want:
a good moderate yield (L-XL)
Easy to Grow (Counter the Zkittlez genetic)
NO HERMIES/ Sexual Stable!
and the best in slot smoke / smell / taste (Fruity with maybe some gas - we will see)

On that i do make a cross - to get a genetic with XXXXXL Yield (with a other genetic) - to get XXL Fruits and Fruitiness.
Thats all what i do will search for.

Then i got like 1 male for Orange
1 for pure gas.

Like get 3 super Males and pollinate the shit out of the tent with good girls :D