What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strain for Breeding - What is a safe bet?

Ttutorial

420club
winner@420giveaway
From the Experimentation section of my website:

"At the beginning, I decided to have two seperate variations of seeds. One would be straight matings of F1 to F1, F2 to F2, etc, a complete, inline bred seed. The other variation would be back-crossed, side-crossed, and forward-crossed more than a West Virginia hillbilly.

For the entire F2 generation, I used ideas I learned from Vic High on the BCGA forum and selected accordingly. There really wasn't a whole lot to it, as the plants were just so uniformly, consistantly good. There wasn't much variation at all, so I selected the most vigourous and dominant males to match up with best rooted females. F3 was just as stable, so that's when I started back-crossing.

Then 9/11 happened...

I decided to let the plants show me how they wanted to grow."

And that's what I've done since then.

From my experience out to F11, back crossing/side crossing is the way to go, mixing multiple generations, not just sequential ones. A strict, inbred, IBL line just kind of goes to hell after F7-F8, at least for me.
Amen brother, i want so bad the OG KUSH F5 from humboldt seed co as regular seeds, they were all the same. I loved that OG. So stable.

But what i forgot, i do search for a particular shape actually from the plants.
I do scrogging with few plants - i love it, its my style if u doing a other one its fine... everyone has his style.
But i do search for branching. Early on.

Can u explain side crossing ?
Would love to get tips from you, i do think i could learn a lot from you, and all of you guys, im to new to this thing.
Btw i dont think u should go past F8 without fresh genetic "blood". Of course u hit a wall some generations after.

CharlesU Farley

Amen brother, i want so bad the OG KUSH F5 from humboldt seed co as regular seeds, they were all the same. I loved that OG. So stable.

I do scrogging with few plants - i love it, its my style if u doing a other one its fine... everyone has his style.

Would love to get tips from you, i do think i could learn a lot from you, and all of you guys, im to new to this thing.
Btw i dont think u should go past F8 without fresh genetic "blood". Of course u hit a wall some generations after.
In addition to Shanti's info, this is where I learned almost all of what I know about developing cannabis via multi-generations:

Cubing

Closet Hacks

And you're most assuredly onto something when you are looking at the actual _shape_ of the plant, rather than just the glistening trichomes. Structure and survivability have been the essence of what I have been trying to accomplish, rather than frosty trichomes that smell good.

Ttutorial

420club
winner@420giveaway
In addition to Shanti's info, this is where I learned almost all of what I know about developing cannabis via multi-generations:

Cubing

Closet Hacks

And you're most assuredly onto something when you are looking at the actual _shape_ of the plant, rather than just the glistening trichomes. Structure and survivability have been the essence of what I have been trying to accomplish, rather than frosty trichomes that smell good.
I do have one more question to be honest. First of all, sorry to all of you for my bad english :D

So, my male does has some trichomes on it.. on flowering day 17, the headbanger has very little.
I did stressed the hell out of them so early on, i mean i over fertilized (very hard) and observed which one will come back - did took 2 weeks but.. it was worth. Actually i do think i do more work and stresstest then 80% of the so called "profi breeders" but im not sure tho.

Space is a limitation, so i did had over 150 plants in a 4x4 and 2x2 (1/4 gallon). So i had to very early on select the best ones. The space will get so fast over crowded, no chance.

And these 3 males are from over 120-150 seeds my selection. So i had no chance to select them like u said for trichomes etc. Just Survivability, vitality, health and growth overall + shape (structure) was my goal either.

I would love to share a picture of my male(s) and ask you guys, if u think they are breeding material?
Is that possible?
Im so new, these are my first males, so i cannot understand/Imagine how they will pass on the trait for bud formation, are they dense enough etc.

But, i do see that the SVH#1 male is dropping pollen already, when the others are not. Is that to early? Does that mean something?
Got one in 1 gallon, 2 gallon and the male whos dropping is in 3 gallon (Coco, Perlite, Wormcasting mix - 40% 30% 30%). Water is PH 7.8 (i do not correct it - never had a reason to everything is green).

Once again, so much thank you for responding, that helpes me a lot guys (every one of you, thank you!).
I do love this shit, it does help me even with my mental health. I love breeding.. :)

browntrout

Veteran
What is SVH?

I’d go with something that has very different growth traits but still something you enjoy from your mother input. I take it your looking for male stock.

Deep chunk breeds very true and often elevates the mom, plus it can easier to discern plants leaning to the mother or father based on growth in some hybrids. Cannacopia did very well with their seeds back when. It’s been proven to death I feel like.

BX work can be stable breeding, acclaimed/tested BX lines could be worth your while.

Some of the chem BX’s and Sour Diesel/BOG BX’s come to mind, but no personal experiences there.

CharlesU Farley

I do have one more question to be honest. First of all, sorry to all of you for my bad english :D

So, my male does has some trichomes on it.. on flowering day 17, the headbanger has very little.
I did stressed the hell out of them so early on, i mean i over fertilized (very hard) and observed which one will come back - did took 2 weeks but.. it was worth. Actually i do think i do more work and stresstest then 80% of the so called "profi breeders" but im not sure tho.

Space is a limitation, so i did had over 150 plants in a 4x4 and 2x2 (1/4 gallon). So i had to very early on select the best ones. The space will get so fast over crowded, no chance.

And these 3 males are from over 120-150 seeds my selection. So i had no chance to select them like u said for trichomes etc. Just Survivability, vitality, health and growth overall + shape (structure) was my goal either.

I would love to share a picture of my male(s) and ask you guys, if u think they are breeding material?
Is that possible?
Im so new, these are my first males, so i cannot understand/Imagine how they will pass on the trait for bud formation, are they dense enough etc.

But, i do see that the SVH#1 male is dropping pollen already, when the others are not. Is that to early? Does that mean something?
Got one in 1 gallon, 2 gallon and the male whos dropping is in 3 gallon (Coco, Perlite, Wormcasting mix - 40% 30% 30%). Water is PH 7.8 (i do not correct it - never had a reason to everything is green).

Once again, so much thank you for responding, that helpes me a lot guys (every one of you, thank you!).
I do love this shit, it does help me even with my mental health. I love breeding.. :)
I'm jacked up for time right now (very busy), so I bookmarked this page to remind me. I'll respond later.

Your communication skills are outstanding! Spanish is the only other language and I can only vaguely understand it. I wouldn't do near as good as you just did and explaining myself.

I was being a bit facetious and trying to be funny with the "side crossing" , it's an American thing that won't translate well.

The best advice I can give you is to lurk and learn, read as much as you possibly can and if you don't understand something, ask in a nice way if the person can explain it a little better.

Just go out and do it, experience is the best teacher.

Ttutorial

420club
winner@420giveaway
@CharlesU Farley Much love! Thank you, for ur kind words!

My SVH #2 girl hermied on me. It had funny growth on the nodes, so i did looked it up.. what can i say? I found so many of them, and every single one had bananas in them.. disgusting man.
But i stressed the shit out of them early on, so shit can happen, but WHY that plant? Now i just have 1 little clone from a other SVH plant.

So just 1 female, the clone is sooo small... now i just get like 50 seeds out of it (MY F3). Just 50-100 seeds to popp for my F4.. im so sad about that.. But lucky enough, the other ones are clean.

@Rhizoma Humboldt Seed Company?
I had there California Octane, XXL Yield but 1 pheno was like pure CBD. So not good!

There OG KUSH F5 was awesome! Every plant looked the same, from beginning (Veg day 1) till the harvest.

Awesome, but sadly they no longer produce REG seeds, so i would love to work with reg seeds, i do breed with some fem seeds, but im not sure how it does look with stability (Hermies) u guys know more?

I could get Asphalt OG - OG GAS from Humboldt in Reg.. thats the only one.

Ttutorial

420club
winner@420giveaway
Ah, if we would have flowering day 25 for the males, and they are in the same place, what would u do?
but 1 male out, spray him down with water and put him in the other tent, right?