What's new

STOP USING JAMAICAN BAT GUANO

I wish...that little guy flew into the house through an open door a couple weeks ago. He had to be captured with a butterfly net and put back outside. If only I knew where he pooped...

N

ngen

So, i've been thinking this over for the past couple months and decided to share it since we're all hopping off the imported guano train.

Bat houses? a family member of mine way out in the country has had a house for 4 or 5 years and that thing is jammed, it's not that large, and i know i could construct much larger models.

What about having bats shit in and around those, then collecting it all a couple times a year, and throwing it down into a clear case in a greenhouse or something where it gets alotta sunshine, do that for several months then just toss it in with the compost mix?

First problem with it i see is: tropical bats and north american bats (40 lat), surely have a bit different of diets, maybe our bats have less nutes in their feces.

ngen - that does sound like a good plan / solution.

Besides collecting (homemade) guano - they would help with bug control around the house.

Death to all mosquitoes..

Only negative would be (that I can see) is having no idea of the NPK potency ?

I would just load up the worm bin & let nature take its course.

midgethorse

Im more worried about what Obama is going to do about the bp spill.
Interesting thing I saw the other day.,
In the past 20 years Bp has given a total of 3 million dollars to political canidates.
Democrat and Republican.
Obama accounts for like 2 million of that
Then this oil disaster happens.
Bat shit is the last thing on my mind, the article posted above pointed out that the sea birds population has increased in peru.Cant say about bats in jamaica though. But its like the polar bears, numbers increase, but people freak out. No disrespect. Im not too familiar with the process. But how does taking bat shit from caves ruin the enviorment?
Midget Horse

Last edited:
N

ngen

I would just load up the worm bin & let nature take its course.

One way to figure out NPK, would be to let it break down all by itself, maybe introduce some BIM, humic/fulvic, feed some tea. Decompose thoroughly and then send it into one of the state agencies that test garden soil? Or home testing kits.

The mosquito control would also be awesome!
But yeah, after figuring that out, i'd rather just toss it in with the worms.

Horse, BP has given millions and millions more to candidates-don't trust corporate news-that's a low ball if i've ever heard one. In fact, since we (and this is our collective responsibility as a oil consuming culture), fucked up the gulf so much it's important we don't keep adversely effecting it. What we did as a culture has to be remedied, and their is no point in us destroying other parts of that ecosystem because in comparison it looks obsolete.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran

You can use a EC meter to gage the relative push of available nutrients when brewing tea from organic materials... :D

Just read the food count (ie. 1.6 EC) as being slightly higher (i.e 1.8 EC) than the reading displayed to allow for the breakdown of organic matter,, later,, within the growing medium.

Some organic compounds,, including guano, can take many years to fully decompose.

Hope this helps

quadracer

Im more worried about what Obama is going to do about the bp spill.
Interesting thing I saw the other day.,
In the past 20 years Bp has given a total of 3 million dollars to political canidates.
Democrat and Republican.
Obama accounts for like 2 million of that

Incorrect. See opensecrets.org for a more in depth analysis of BP's contributions to candidates.

Here's the breakdown Dem: $1,799,107 Rep: $4,404,129. Also see this for some additional distinctions.

NUG-JUG

I found an article about an attempt by the St. Louis Zoo to make harvesting seabird guano more sustainable. People harvest so much shit that the Humboldt Penguin can't nest, since that's what they use. Just another example of a chain reaction of problems caused by greed.

Zoo Helps Save Peru's Humboldts..

'The threatened Humboldt penguin likes to lay its eggs in seabird droppings, or guano, that once rose mountain-high on the arid coast of Peru. The nitrogen-rich guano reserves, mined as a fertilizer since the time of the Incas, have been whittled to a few feet deep. In some places, the guano has been scraped right down to the rock....'

http://www.stlzoo.org/wildcareinstitute/zoohelpssaveperushumboldts.htm

You can use a EC meter to gage the relative push of available nutrients when brewing tea from organic materials... :D

Just read the food count (ie. 1.6 EC) as being slightly higher (i.e 1.8 EC) than the reading displayed to allow for the breakdown of organic matter,, later,, within the growing medium.

Some organic compounds,, including guano, can take many years to fully decompose.

Hope this helps

Destructive governments, corruption, down with the nWo.. :ying:

Before they control & or take down the Internet we need to learn as much about self sustainability as possible.

Thats my feelings on that.

On a softer topic - Im nutty with my blue-lab ec wand - guano in a tea seems to make no change in EC level unlike other organic additions.

I know what your saying bro, surprised more people dont try to dial in there grow with the ec levels ?

Currently keeping my runoff right around under 2.0 EC seems to be the sweet spot of a med large indoor plant with my methods.

Sorry to throw this thread into another direction.

blwd67

If this is the case with Jamaican I would venture to say it is probably the case with other 2nd and 3rd world countries harvesting guana. Never have and never will use it either for hemp or my regular garden.

buddah

Life is one big grow........
Veteran
I does not mather if the bad guano comes from Jamica or another part of the world.....bad guana is allways not eco/-friendly...even most seabird guano isn't it,

here2learn

:snap out of it:
There's plenty of people here who want to be a Rasta or associated with Bob Marley .... those are the people who would most ask you to stop[/quote]

I have two groups of barn swallows that are on their second round of nesting this summer, they poop directly into piles of compost below their nest. And boy do they poop tons. I have wanted to do a bat house for some time but haven't got around to it. I know not everyone has the luxury of living in the country but it does have many advantages if you are willing to give up stuff like being able to shop at somewhere other than walmart.

blwd67

^ thats a great idea, I never even thought of it. I have a bat tent that I should get around to setting up, I wonder if the guano from domestic bats is as benificial, though? If so I will definitely set it up over a compost bed or even just a basin.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
I haven't read through this whole thread .. But yes please stop using all bat quano as it's really dangerous to humans when dry and it gets in your lungs !!! It holds many pathogens that are not fit for humans ..The more you know the less you will want to use this lol lol.. I suggest you educate yourself when it comes to animal feces as it's not the way to go. Stay with worm shit .. Even coco if not stored properly , perlite Diatomaceous Earth ,is dangerous wear a mask.. most things that turn to dust should not be inhaled lol lol.. peace out Headband707

Burt

Veteran
keep the guano wrapped in plastic and a box-the measuring cup does the work and i don't breathe any of it in
if your worried about the health effects, you can always buy HPK-a liquified organic bloom booster-works superbly

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
Don't do anything to preserve the bird's foodsource & guano supply!

Nope, just let their shit pile up lol

How green of you all :D