What's new

STOP USING JAMAICAN BAT GUANO

V

vonforne

Last time i accidently cut myself, my blood came out black-red and gold.

lol

I did not read it completely. I have to smoke less of the SSH before posting.

Nice link. Thanks.

V

TLoft13

lol

I did not read it completely. I have to smoke less of the SSH before posting.

Nice link. Thanks.

V
Nah man, i edited the parts of my post adressed to you in while you posted #238.
SSH, eh? Where EXACTLY do you live again? Might wanna visit you...
images

;)
Haven't smoked for 6 or 7 weeks, but now, with my Big Devils nearing completion, it's becoming kind of a drag.
Counting the days....

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, VG posted up a brand and a link to sustainable, CO friendly guano.....Caveman brand.

If they harvest it the same then there should be minimal impact on the eco system and the bats.

We just need to hope that the ones harvesting it are treated and paid fairly.

V

yeah afaik they buy it directly from the tribe that owns the piece of jungle that the caves are in, no fatcat middlemen ;). sounds like there are many smaller caves that get full of guano and are then harvested in rotation over the years. theyve been doing it for decades and the bats are still there. i guess its almost like farming bats lol because if the caves all filled up the bats might leave!. i think caveman supplied them with proper masks etc to use instead of the cloths they always used before :D
guano has been used since inca times so there must be plenty of ways of harvesting it sustainably. as a consumer you have the choice of what you buy and if no-one wants 'bad' guano then they will stop exploiting it. if demand for 'good' guano soars then... you know what im saying.
a quick search found this product in america that looks ok, im sure there are many more.
http://www.thegoodyard.com/GardenVille-Bat-Guano-1141-1.5-lb./A/B0031SD596.htm

having said all that i totally agree that there are plenty of other ways to grow great organic weed. compost is great if you can get your hands on the good stuff but my backyard compost isnt good enough for mj and i like to have stuff with consistent nutrition as i like to tweak my mixes for each strain and get them dialled in.

just starting to experiment with concentrated comfrey juice too. Jay is the man when it comes to that kind of thing ;)

VG

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for answering Tim.

The Tea when applied was:

2.5gal spring water
3/4cup homemade worm castings
1teasp Alfalfa Meal
1teasp Fish Hydrolysate
1teasp Kelp Extract

Brewed for 20hrs and I have enough oxygen/bubbling according to your recommendation in another thread, but just using three aquarium pumps.

The last time I applied this about a month ago they were actually worse than usual the next visit. I assume because they normally get 4.5gal of fish mix(1/8cup per gal) and this time they got only 2.5gal of fish and 2.5gal of tea. They really want the fish or they're not happy..

The Soil they are in I bought from a local landscaping supply place in bulk and then mixed, approx 40% "Gromax" potting soil, 40% Mushroom Compost, 20% Perlite.

Thanks again I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

Hmmmm. Sorry to hear that. Your tea sounds fine. I do not know Gromax but assume it is a peat based potting soil. One problem could be the mushroom compost. Mushroom growers usually treat this with steam or formaldihide to kill any residual mushroom spores. Naturally this kills all the goodness and if they used formaldihide it is not good for your plants. I always let it sit outside for 6 months to a year before using. It could also be that it is not thoroughly composted. Were there chunks of wood in the compost?

If I were you I would mix up a thickish slurry of your homemade castings and pour it on as a topdressing, then alternate with fish hydrolysate and compost tea every time you water. It sounds like something is either locking up the N [e.g. there is uncomposted material in your rhyzoshpere] or there may be residual toxins [less likely but...]

cannaboy

Bollocks to friendly guano till we have friendly lax cannabis laws world wide..

I'm on the CUBAN guano

And I don't see a problem with it,,,

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mein Deutsch ist nicht zu gut aber ich spreche ganz gut. ich muss mehr Deutsch schreiben!!!

I am glad that some of the Germans are becoming more active in the forums. Here in Germany we are lacking in organic sources. We have only 2 P guano sources.....GuanoKalong and Plagron. We can get N guano at several BauMarkts.

I am working on putting together some products and making a web site but that is in the future.

Are you German or Swiss? I am an American......obviously but I live in Germany with my German wife. And I like it here.

I do use guano but am getting away from it. It is just a matter of time to organize things........compost, EWC, propagating the correct plants......Nettles, Comfrey, etc. to illuminate the need for guanos.

Ich freue mich, Sie kennenzulernen

V

Stop Klatsch und an die arbeit!

Ich liebte die deutschen Frauen und Bier , wenn ich dort war.

NUG-JUG

that is sick.....like hanging two cats on the cloths line with their tails tied together. Or cutting the chickens head off just to see it run around with no head.

lol

LOL hahaha I meant smoke a bowl, and watch the bats fly, not burn the bat Vonforne! LOL

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
I just installed a bat house in my backyard, any opinions on trying to harvest that guano? Would it be worth setting up a catch? I know we approached the subject earlier but I don't remember any definitive answer.

Maybe if they went south for the winter, you could take it down and clean it, but I doubt a single bat house will produce much guano (maybe if it was a bat condo)..

You need to be really careful with bat guano though, lots of nasties live there.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ that totally rocks!

if collecting your own guano, as well as all the safety stuff, its worth noting that bat guano is also processed by insects (very much like worms will process plant waste etc) so you will want to let it sit for a while. and if the bats aren't migratory you would want the sh1t to fall through a grate or something so you can harvest it without disturbing the bats or their little ones (i think they're called pups)

VG

V

vonforne

That guy should have the Batman signal on that roof!!!

I could just see me building one in my back yard here in Germany........lol

Mein Fledermaus Haus!!!!

My neighbors would freak! scheiß Ami!!

V

dethmetul

Hmmmm. Sorry to hear that. Your tea sounds fine. I do not know Gromax but assume it is a peat based potting soil. One problem could be the mushroom compost. Mushroom growers usually treat this with steam or formaldihide to kill any residual mushroom spores. Naturally this kills all the goodness and if they used formaldihide it is not good for your plants. I always let it sit outside for 6 months to a year before using. It could also be that it is not thoroughly composted. Were there chunks of wood in the compost?

If I were you I would mix up a thickish slurry of your homemade castings and pour it on as a topdressing, then alternate with fish hydrolysate and compost tea every time you water. It sounds like something is either locking up the N [e.g. there is uncomposted material in your rhyzoshpere] or there may be residual toxins [less likely but...]

Damn mushroom compost. Ya there were some wood chunks and shit in it for sure. I will give what you suggested a try. Good to hear it is not me brewing or applying incorrectly at least I guess.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer man. Much appreciated.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, VG posted up a brand and a link to sustainable, CO friendly guano.....Caveman brand.

If they harvest it the same then there should be minimal impact on the eco system and the bats.

We just need to hope that the ones harvesting it are treated and paid fairly.

V

Hi vonforne :wave:

We've have used Caveman guano many times before,, and have made video link reference to it in this thread :D We always found Caveman weaker than and less beneficial to plant health than other leading brands. Caveman is sourced from the Philippines, not Jamaica. We were interested in brands of Jamaican guano - which are/nt ethically and ecologically sourced please :canabis:

Peace out
dL :joint:

Nb. Caveman guano is labeled 'Fair Trade'. Many critics have suggested that Fair Trade actually underpins local trade networks and exploits workers! We must not forget that Oxfam is an international "charity" with immense 'buying power', very few overheads, and the ability to cancel contracts just as quick as any transnational corporation.

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
Fair trade doesn't signify that they're working with Oxfam, but that the producers of (whatever) are actually seeing a fair amount of what their products are being sold for.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hiya doc. :)

whilst im sure the fairtrade system isnt perfect, i believe its the best we have atm.

my plants seem to do just great on cavemans ;)
picture.php

VG

hash head

Archipelago Bat Guano $10 for 10 lbs or cheaper for a 0-7-0 fossilized (powdered, odorless, N free) guano... that is not wrecking up jam rock or whatever like jamaican guano if thats true.. this is all from long ago compacted caves I guess, thats why its fossilized and has no more nitrogen left...

great for flower and super cheap..

Latest posts

Latest posts