What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stem nematodes

King cola CO

Can anyone verify that these are stem nematodes I am so lost? Please help any information or input would be very helpful.. Pictures are stems sliced in half black spots are mostly found in top of plant or in top bud sites

IMG_0143.jpg
IMG_0144.jpg
IMG_0145.jpg

Wolfshadoe

Are you saying these black spots are inside the stem fresh AS cut from plant? That's really magnified,..Maybe just a lil more info??

These guys will step right up and help you out..Hear what they have to SAY..
Good luck..<ws>

tleaf jr.

Came up off 75w
Veteran
looks like contaminate from the utensil used for cutting or a genetic morphing in pigment. Any negative symptoms from you plants?

King cola CO

Problem mostly consists in veg room. Plants do not respond well to low temperatures and high humidity 60f and 72humidity. Plants respond better to high temp low humidity 87f and 30 humidity. The infection resembles broad/cyclamen/russet mites damage.

IMG_0059.jpg
IMG_0057.jpg

I am 100 percent sure that it is not broad/cyclamen/russet mites. I have been scoping plants all over for weeks at 400x to 1000x magnification and no mites or eggs. The only issues I am finding are inside the stem. I recently went systemic on that ass and finally seems like I am winning this battle. I used azasol/spinosad/mallet as a root drench. Prior to the systemic treatments black spots were brown and insides of the stems were degrading. Also infection was throughout all stems bottom to top of plant. Here are some pictures of stems sliced open and at 400x magnification prior to systemic treatment.
IMG_0163.jpg
IMG_0164.jpg
IMG_0165.jpg
IMG_0166.jpg
IMG_0162.jpg

After systemic treatment plants are coming back slowly and stems look really nice and green inside but brown spots are now black. The infection is now only visible at the very tops of the plants inside the stems. Here are some pictures after systemic treatment of inside the stem at the top of the plants at 400x magnification.
IMG_0167.jpg
IMG_0168.jpg
IMG_0169.jpg

Here is the only information that I can find and the only reason why I came to the conclusion that The infection I have is stem nematodes. It is the only thing that resembles my infection. Because I still can't find this bug. Thanks for you time and help. Hopefully this doesn't happen to anyone else cause it has been a nightmare.
youtube stem nematodes or Check link below.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hfJfMgmIiTs

King cola CO

Thanks tleaf jr. I just posted everything I got on it . I am positive that utensils razor blades and scalpel are brand new for each cut.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Stem Nematodes are at the base of the stem at the soil line.... the stem right above the ground... thats where u want to look... and you need more magnification... they should like look like worms wiggling

King cola CO

Thanks storm I have read all your posts on bm and I agree kontos and forbid for the win. I have not been able to win this battle till I went to systemic azasol/spinosad/mallet. I start at 100x magnification and go to 1000x magnification the pictures I am putting up are around 400x magnification. I can not find any broad/cyclamen/russet adults or eggs. I have fought and lost and won some battles against BM. But I usually see them around 100x magnification. I see no eggs or adults only thing I am getting is black spots inside stem which I never had with cyclamen or broad mites. the black spots were brown from base of stem to very top part of plants inside the stem. Once I went systematically the only thing I can find is the black spots on inside of stem at very top of plant. I am seeing larger black spots on inside of stem larger then what the broad mite or cyclamen mite could be. So this is why I am confused because last spot I had had bm and no black spots inside stem. Thanks for your time and help I value your knowledge a whole bunch.

King cola CO

I am not at my computer right now I will go out to shop later today or tomorrow to get you pictures. What magnification do you want? And what samples do you want to see? inside stem? Outside stem? Bud cluster? Also do you have any pictures of black or brown spots inside stem? Thanks

King cola CO

I am not at my computer right now I don't have pictures on cell phone. I will go out to the shop later today or tomorrow to get you pictures. What magnification do you want? What samples do you want? Inside stem? Outside stem? Bud cluster? Also do you have pictures of black or brown spots inside stem from your previous battles? Thanks for your help

King cola CO

Here is some more information that stem nematodes actually attack upper stem and foliage. It also has same look if you have a infection from broad/cyclamen/russet mites. Read highlighted area of pictures. Also broad/cyclamen/russet mites just don't choose to only poop inside stem and not on the outside of stem otherwise that is some new super duper smart mite

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg
IMG_0174.jpg

King cola CO

Thanks kalopatchkid I posted a link with that same video a couple of threads back. I have tried really hard to get a picture or video of them. I have gone down to 1000x magnification and i still can't pick them up. I am finally on a winning battle with these little mofos. Azasol/spinosad/mallet did the trick took about a month to get them gone at constant systemic root drenchings. Sprays won't do crap for these things. And trying to diagnose the issue was really confusing damage looks like broad/cyclamen/russet just happened by accident to open inside of stem to look. I have tried multiple times to get in touch with that you tuber that posted that video no luck. I am trying to document everything I can but only thing I can't get is pictures of nematodes inside stem

kalopatchkid

Veteran
You might have to play around with your light source to get it to illuminate the nematodes properly...from that video it looks like they are quite transparent.
Have you tried staining the stem samples and see if that makes anything visible?

King cola CO

You might have to play around with your light source to get it to illuminate the nematodes properly...from that video it looks like they are quite transparent.
Have you tried staining the stem samples and see if that makes anything visible?

Thanks that's a good idea I have multiple white leds on microscope but it isn't picking nematodes up. I think I might change color of leds or stain the stem with food coloring to get pictures. Thanks for the idea

King cola CO

This looks like cell death to me but heck what do i know

GrowDoc

I truly believe it is stem nematodes and not cell death. Cell death would be all over vs in random spots. Also cell death would change colors of spots inside stem once I started using systemic. If you have seen any pictures of this I would love to see them