What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Station Z- Rogue Vally 2016

Obsidian

Veteran
I setup my old keyan top bar beehive, I have a feral hive in my barn.
I set up the hive next to the feral hive entrance with lemon grass oil as a attractant.
I know the feral hive will split, crossed fingers, hoping the scouts find the old KTBH
and move in, would be so much easier than buying a nuc box.
The goal is 5 hives in the next 3yrs.

you know...All growers, gardeners, and urban dwellers should have a hive in their yard.

These last few weeks, I've been sitting 10minutes or more with the feral hive so they
get used to me. I love watching Bees it's a form of Enlightenment being a
Guardian of the World's most precious resource.

It's a race to survive, if the bees die out, we as humans will only have 4-5yrs to live after that.

Peace

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
These last few weeks, I've been sitting 10minutes or more with the feral hive so they
get used to me. I love watching Bees it's a form of Enlightenment being a
Guardian of the World's most precious resource.

It's a race to survive, if the bees die out, we as humans will only have 4-5yrs to live after that.

Peace

...furiously scribles.." add bee's and beehive to farm list" GREAT information, love the thread...!:tiphat:

Obsidian

Veteran
it's still a little wet for me to do any work in the new yard. I go out when I can, rain or shine trying to get things going.
I'm ripping all the hedges out around the house foundation and driveway replacing everything with berry bushes.
The section next to my shipping dept was planted with canby raspberry cane yeaterday, and in the little 10'x4' section I planted 2 3yr old goji bushes.

I want a Goji hedge out in front, and the circular driveway is where I'm planting blueberry bushes, in a trellis hedge style.

Nothing but edible landscaping. I've been yanking every non productive plant there is here.
I'm staring at this beautiful huge Magnolia, I like it, but it's coming down to replaced with a Loquat. I would rather have this which flowers the same as a Magnolia, but produces a awesome tasty fruit in high demand by speciality markets. I'll have 3-4 Loquats around the property. Everything edible...

last but not least 7 seeds have sprouted in the last 48hrs the DeathStar/SD IBL, SSK, SB, and the Tan

jbarsk8

I love the edible plant idea. Id love a bunch myself from fruits to veggies to nut trees. How did you properly educate yourself to the point of having a confident working knowledge with all of these species? I feel i have a grasp on cannabis but pretty much know absolutely nothing about any other plants.

Obsidian

Veteran
well, just caught a swarm of bee's today my colony in the barn split while I was chilling with them at lunch. Walked in the middle of the swarm over to the bush about 60 feet away south, it's here i pointed to my 7r old that the Queen would land with her workers.
I was spot on target, they landed and over and hour they all were clustered deep in the bush.
quite exciting to capture a swarm with no bee clothing...
thinking the hive will split soon again, many many drones in and out...

full story soon with pics

can't go wrong with the Universe providing one with bees...

Obsidian

Veteran
picture.php

Obsidian

Veteran
redaction. I have no real knowledge. I'm going to experiment more this summer with a hive in the grow area.

curious to see if they collect the resin, they could use it for Propolis,

Last edited:
Ooo old farm with cattle that used to graze on it... Sounds like some highly fertile soil :p Maybe one day get some soil samples sent in from a few locations in the area which they used to graze.. 40 years of cow shit must have helped :D Hell if anything you might be able to dig some up and use that as your medium.

Obsidian

Veteran
veggie plants last summer went ballistic. soil test sent in the other day it all finally dried out.
I'm guessing a little bit of amending.

Here's Queen Arianna(my 7yr old boy named her)and he sister's drawing comb. looks real nice. another frame has comb, and the bees are bringing in pollen.
In a month I'll move them to a super and stack three on top for honey production.
I'm guessing I'll get 5 more swarms out of the barn this year maybe 6. just need to keep a close eye on things, i'm pretty sure these are the Carniolan species by their markings

awesome little girls

picture.php

veggie plants last summer went ballistic. soil test sent in the other day it all finally dried out.
I'm guessing a little bit of amending.

Here's Queen Arianna(my 7yr old boy named her)and he sister's drawing comb. looks real nice. another frame has comb, and the bees are bringing in pollen.
In a month I'll move them to a super and stack three on top for honey production.
I'm guessing I'll get 5 more swarms out of the barn this year maybe 6. just need to keep a close eye on things, i'm pretty sure these are the Carniolan species by their markings

awesome little girls

View Image
Definitely hold onto that farm, if you ever get approval to do a big field of canna, you'd have a pretty easy time, and it'd be realitivly cheap too.

Obsidian

Veteran
no interest in commercial or large grows.
as it is 16 trees is enough to take care of on my own.
I'm done and tired of 100+ plant grows and 20hr days
worrying about cops etc, were legal and that's fine for me, I have my resources.

We're transforming this place into a edible medicinal forest organic mini farm with a road side stand to sell excess.
now if I could only get my wife out on the rototiller...

KFMedicineMan

The Swarm Situation...would you run and hide or collect?
Pure Gold!

View Image

tuned in for your season, propz! im on other side of cascades as you....

there were swarms at my moms ranch in 09 that we captured and hived. One of the swarms was about 12 feet up in a tree, we parked a polaris ranger underneath and stood on the plastic roof. My moms bf clipped the branch while i held the branch with one arm and the basket under the swarm with the other hand. the jostle of the branch being clipped made half the swarm drop on my face. My mom snapped a picture just as this was happening. It ended with me running through a field though not to many stings... :biggrin: but we did get most of the swarm...

Obsidian

Veteran
I found the Queen, she's big dark black and shiny. The bees are a mix of colours.
I went to take her pic and she dove into a hole in the comb. The comb comes off easy,
I broke apart the comb where it attached to the 2 frames, everyone came running to clean up the spill.
I figure this will work just right, with this one comb shaped perfect for my tb. I think the transfer will go good.
It's been exactly 7 days since I captured the swarm.

my 7yr old son is taking the pics

picture.php

picture.php

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no interest in commercial or large grows.
as it is 16 trees is enough to take care of on my own.
I'm done and tired of 100+ plant grows and 20hr days
worrying about cops etc, were legal and that's fine for me, I have my resources.

We're transforming this place into a edible medicinal forest organic mini farm with a road side stand to sell excess.
now if I could only get my wife out on the rototiller...

..........now THAT's a plan.......good luck...:tiphat:

Obsidian

Veteran
Here's Queen Arianna surrounded by her attendants
She's shy, she runs and hides and then peeks out of the hole in the comb,
turns around goes back and hides again.
She's laying eggs, they are all over the comb tiny little larvae right now.
These bees are very gentle, not very aggressive, a bit defensive without smoke.

picture.php