What's new

Startup in Colorado?

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
So, hypothetically if I moved to CO. I would just need to grow fast flowering bud with a lot of red hairs (Red Haired Skunk comes to mind) or purple in color to be successful.

If you were still allowed to vend to centers and you had "kushy" purples, chems, diesels.. Then yeah regardless of quality you'd be set.

Now however as a private caregiver it's basically price wars and only true top shelf herb gets sold locally at a reasonable price for the grower. And even then it only gets sold if you have the right "cannasseur" type patients/customers. otherwise it's bottom dollar for packs of whatever homeboy is growing in his infested basement and basically giving it away to cover his new rent payment and to pay off all his gear and survive out here after moving here from kansebrasca about 9months ago to strike it rich.

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
I'm not sure what the restrictions are post hb1284 or whatever number it was but last year was briefly involved with a well known seed company doing just that. My experience was that they didn't sell as well as I thought they would. Most growers and shop owners typical response was "I'd rather just find a good clone than "waste" time going through seeds". I said it was briefly and a big reason for that was that I really didn't believe in the product I was promoting. Some shops couldn't keep them on the shelves though.

Recently I know that rare dankness seeds have been flying off the shelves though, so I think it's just appealing to the right market.

Another good buddy is about ready to crush the seed game out here, others would be more knowledgeable in the costs of setting something like that up.

Sorry rambling and not making much sense

Last edited:

Space Case

Veteran
Centennial Seeds, THSeeds, and Rare Dankness can't keep seeds in stock...so something must be happening....people are getting fed up with PM infested dispensary clones, so in that respect, seeds are worth the gamble and "wasted" time.

As far as vending as a private caregiver and/or patient growing product....its all grey market at the moment...can't sell to dispensaries. Dispensaries have flooded the market with cheap crap and brought down the wholesale price, but that is a different market than the grey market. Dispensary weed is all crap anyway, so its bottomed out a bit...but good quality indoor from smaller growers is starting to get a resurgence to almost the good prices it was at over a year ago, at least with the folks I know! But it has to be top quality, not infested, not moldy, not light burned, not unflushed or overnuted, not larfy....if you aren't already coming on point with your grow skills, no reason to move out here...we got enough moldy larf going around the state....

demasoni

Clarification please some of this has me confused and thinking the CO bud market is worse than I thought and I want to make sure its just shitty from the perspective of someone looking to setup dispensary.
Hack, SelfHemployed, big herb tree, Spacecase are you guys speaking specifically to new persons wanting to open a dispensary?
Do the locals only accept impeccably grown clone only elites or do they like perfectly grown strong/medical classics as well?
For example is the average smoker or patient buying from a caregiver going to turn down perfectly done sour diesel, sensi star,DJ blueberry, bog gear, shantibaba etc as common as they are?
It sounds like those would be welcome if all the markets are flooded with compressed PM infested trash.
What about coming to CO with a genuine outdoorsman interest in the state anyways, starting off as just a patient and my personal grow, then stepping up as a caregiver once settled in (AND can bring perfectly grown bud, zero compromise in quality, connoisseur level quality)?
It sounds like theres a high demand yet lack of lovingly grown high quality strains, but then there isnt, but then there is, back and forth im so confused ?
I'm in the east and the blkmarket is flooded with the genetically watered down poorly grown shit sporting superficial "red hairs" or "purpy" as you describe .pumped out by all the "business only" minded fools and homeboys with pm infested basements. Hope you guys can clear up my confusion.

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Clarification please some of this has me confused and thinking the CO bud market is worse than I thought and I want to make sure its just shitty from the perspective of someone looking to setup dispensary.
Hack, SelfHemployed, big herb tree, Spacecase are you guys speaking specifically to new persons wanting to open a dispensary?
Do the locals only accept impeccably grown clone only elites or do they like perfectly grown strong/medical classics as well?
For example is the average smoker or patient buying from a caregiver going to turn down perfectly done sour diesel, sensi star,DJ blueberry, bog gear, shantibaba etc as common as they are?
It sounds like those would be welcome if all the markets are flooded with compressed PM infested trash.
What about coming to CO with a genuine outdoorsman interest in the state anyways, starting off as just a patient and my personal grow, then stepping up as a caregiver once settled in (AND can bring perfectly grown bud, zero compromise in quality, connoisseur level quality)?
It sounds like theres a high demand yet lack of lovingly grown high quality strains, but then there isnt, but then there is, back and forth im so confused ?
I'm in the east and the blkmarket is flooded with the genetically watered down poorly grown shit sporting superficial "red hairs" or "purpy" as you describe .pumped out by all the "business only" minded fools and homeboys with pm infested basements. Hope you guys can clear up my confusion.
If you have a day job you'll be fine. Don't expect to make a living off of herb in Co. That ship sailed a long time ago. There is a moratorium on new Dispensaries but you can buy one up for ~500k
As far as strains go this ain't cali, people typically aren't buying a brand name, they just want quality. But there plenty of cat's here putting out quality.

So, hypothetically if I moved to CO. I would just need to grow fast flowering bud with a lot of red hairs (Red Haired Skunk comes to mind) or purple in color to be successful.
Exactly! Easy as that.

Space Case

Veteran
Startup in Colorado?

You can still make a living as a dispensary employee, $10 per hour getting exposure to things like Floramite and Eagle20EW. I've met so many dispensary growers that talk about this being their "passion" and making this their "livelihood" or "career". But yea, thats over with....its more like "sell your soul" or "join the darkside" at this point!

I just want to know how all you people just assume that you'll roll up in the middle of the Western Rockies, not knowing a soul, and just meet people to unload elbows to on a whim. You have better social skills and trust than me apparently.

I've been in Colorado in and out for a good bit and I don't know a single person like that.

I wish we could still vend to dispensaries soooo baddddd...

I've just been wanting to move to a place that is a lot cooler about growing herb than where I'm at. It would be nice to meet a woman that didn't tell me to stop growing if I want to have a serious relationship. At the moment I am not growing , and I'm reaching a threshold to move again. Now others in this thread have said that well grown sativas aren't getting their due in Co. since people are looking for red hairs (which I know have no psychoactive properties) or purple in color (which is also just for looks). Apparently with the new change in laws the dispensaries have been reduced to producing mass production schwag.

well herein lies the problem homie

well herein lies the problem homie

It would be nice to meet a woman that didn't tell me to stop growing if I want to have a serious relationship.

well maybe you dont want a serious relationship, maybe you wanna bang some hoes

maybe you dont feel like being nagged all the time and wanna grow some dope so what ?!?

to hell with haters...my peace to the homies !!

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
I've just been wanting to move to a place that is a lot cooler about growing herb than where I'm at. It would be nice to meet a woman that didn't tell me to stop growing if I want to have a serious relationship. At the moment I am not growing , and I'm reaching a threshold to move again. Now others in this thread have said that well grown sativas aren't getting their due in Co. since people are looking for red hairs (which I know have no psychoactive properties) or purple in color (which is also just for looks). Apparently with the new change in laws the dispensaries have been reduced to producing mass production schwag.

This is pretty accurate. My advice is this.. If you're going to move here, make sure that the growing herb opportunity is only one of multiple reasons to come here. The gold rush is over but you can still enjoy imo one of the best states in the country. The mountains are unreal here mang. Colorado is a good spot to be and the looser rules for growing ganj are a nice plus.

Or.. if your only coming for the weed game I'd reconsider for the reasons posted in this thread.

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
Patients really enjoyed our shop because even though we put out alot of amazing clone only strains they have heard of through high times and other mj mags, we also produced alot of amazing strains that were high quality and high yielding. However, the one thing that set us apart is that we priced our strains based on yield, rather than quality. So alot of the time we had AMAZING strains at $7-12 / gram while everyone else was nearly 2x-3x that price, one thing that suprised me were alot of people were cautious about buying these strains thinking that if it was so much cheaper than other shops, it must not be as good. However, as any of you may know that have met me, that I liked to give away samples and let people try before they buy (prior to the no consuming law) and once people tried them, they were amazed how good they were so cheap.

So in my opinion, patients in CO are more interested in quality than names, and I noticed alot of people seemed to want sativas over indicas.

SoCoMMJ

We came to find out people we thought were patients were shop owners or other shop employees coming and picking up ounces of our top shelf so they could have quality at their store!!! hahahaha

If they would just fess up we wouldn't have to charge them sales tax. Guess it saves on our 70/30 :)

D

draco

the law here (co) allows cities and towns to ban dispensaries at ANY time.

can't say i'm crying for them, but many have had the rug pulled, and lost big...

come to colorado anyway! the weather is exciting...

Colorado ain't where its at man. I was just there about a month ago.

Do you want your grow televised and fed into the state police headquarters??

Its almost as bad as Montana has become. The fight has just begun in CO.

You are much safer in Cali.

Peace
Rocky

On second thought if 7-12 dollars a gram is a "deal" I'm movin there tomorrow. hehehe

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
On second thought if 7-12 dollars a gram is a "deal" I'm movin there tomorrow. hehehe

When we first opened in denver all the shops around us were charging 20-25 / gram and 60 an 8th for cali outdoor.

so yah at that point 7-12$ grams were serious deals for finely cultivated CO indoor

Burt

Veteran
Life is full of POTential!
If you can grow buds as good as the mentors on this site-you will
be good to go-i promise you
keep it simple and organic-its unbelieveable the crap thats being put into this plant to plump it up-organics in cocoa is too easy
I dream of CO for the lifestyle but until then, I've got friends driving 600 miles to my pad after comparing it to the shit coming out of cali-keep it greasy!

D

draco

the industry is so new the shakeout could take a while... i was in a store the other day and all the buds looked the same. and that was a very small, airy bud... wierd.

i don't see how that could inspire business except that there are just too many customers... and they can still get over on the inexperienced.

the names of some of the better potshops are getting well known and worth driving what... five more minutes? to buy the fire?

personally i don't give a rip. i haven't been out of fire for a while now.

:dance013:

G

Guest 150314

well maybe you dont want a serious relationship, maybe you wanna bang some hoes

maybe you dont feel like being nagged all the time and wanna grow some dope so what ?!?

to hell with haters...my peace to the homies !!

your the man, i seriously crack up every time i read your posts. telling it like it is!