~Star~Crash~ All & Everything

Sub24ox7

IMG_4177.jpeg
IMG_4176.jpeg

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah get sucked in by those big, pretty berries that have no flavor, like grocery store tomatoes, all looks and no flavor. That seems to be the model of commercialization, it's all about the looks

In the winter, I only buy the small ones. Cherry tomatoes or those slightly bigger ones that come in packages. They usually have decent taste. Any bulk ones are crap - even the fancy ones on the vine. Tomatoes are MY vegetable. ;) One of the few that aren't green and that don't smell like week-old socks when you cook them.

you reckon the time will come when all power lines/phone lines will be buried to protect them from wind/weather/tree limbs ? it sure won't hurt photography any...i'm sure that the states that harvest pine trees for poles will be pissed though.
Wow, it looks like a deep blue sky out there. I’ll be spending plenty of time under it.

oldmaninbc

In the winter, I only buy the small ones. Cherry tomatoes or those slightly bigger ones that come in packages. They usually have decent taste. Any bulk ones are crap - even the fancy ones on the vine. Tomatoes are MY vegetable. ;) One of the few that aren't green and that don't smell like week-old socks when you cook them.
Now that I think about what your saying, I have to agree with you. Winter Cherry tomatoes tend to be better texture and flavor over regular tomatoes, which I find very similar to chewing a piece of lightly flavored cardboard.

I froze some cherry tomatoes last fall and I put them in pasta dishes, I put some grapeseed oil and herbs on them baked them for a bit and they are a good addition to pasta meals.

How are you feeling these days?

oldmaninbc

I am fine - other than the usual old guy stuff. It is my better half that is going through the ordeal and she is over halfway done this round. I have to keep beating her with my optimism stick. :cool:
Old guy stuff...that never ends till it does. My friend says "you have to be tough to grow old"
You sound like a caring husband, my heart goes out to you.
I have always had a difficult time expressing my thoughts in some situations. I was at my wife's side when she was at death's door, I was overwhelmed and afraid. Fortunately in the last hours she made a complete turn around.
Think I'll go buy a cherry tomato seedling soon.

oldmaninbc

Cher
read a neat article about pickling green cherry tomatoes and using them like olives in martinis etc. i don't drink martinis, it just looked like a good use if one had too many. i had a vine last year that produced more than my wife would/could eat.
Cherry tomatoes can be extremely productive. I had one in a 25gal ctn last summer and had to anchor it down so it wouldn't blow over in the wind.

For those who drink I can see where a green cherry tomato would be good in a Martini, James Bond would know.:)

Drumskinz

Yeah get sucked in by those big, pretty berries that have no flavor, like grocery store tomatoes, all looks and no flavor. That seems to be the model of commercialization, it's all about the looks
For most produce to travel around the our country they are picked early then hydro cooled and then put in temp controlled refrigeration trucks to be doled out to stores…then when it arrives in stores most of the time produce is rock hard and not much shelf life and they can never fully ripen before they go bad…It was always a breath of fresh air when grocery stores would get in the local homegrown stuff…didn’ last long though here in NYS

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For most produce to travel around the our country they are picked early then hydro cooled and then put in temp controlled refrigeration trucks to be doled out to stores…then when it arrives in stores most of the time produce is rock hard and not much shelf life and they can never fully ripen before they go bad…It was always a breath of fresh air when grocery stores would get in the local homegrown stuff…didn’ last long though here in NYS
From now on, I don’t wanna be hoodwinked by my fruit and vegetables. We’ll see how long it lasts.