What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stacked Kush under a Solar Flare 220

MacksKid

Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly! I appreciate your input.
Understood. But for me it's the opposite... I feel safe here because I'm a small, anonymous fish in a huge pond. ;)
Do you mean you're on a VPN or that there just so many huge grows out there that you're not concerned? I was curious how many people posting here reside where it's frowned upon vs okay.

First of all, yes, you can do a grow entirely under MH lighting. There are entire threads dedicated to this very subject on just about every grow forum. The general consensus, which corroborates my own experience, is that it leads to smaller yields than HPS, but more trichome production. That being said, 175w is a bit underpowered for that sized space, but 400w is borderline too much, so the decision hinges on the ability to deal with the heat. Based on the fact that you don't have an air-cooled hood, I would choose the 175 if I were you. The only way I was able to do a 400 in my 2x2 tent is because I used a cool tube. And even then it was tough keeping things cool in there. So without an air-cooled hood, there's no question about it... I recommend the 175.

Yeah, like I said above, heat would absolutely be an issue, even trying to do the duct thing you described. It has more to do with the radiant heat coming from the bulb than it does the build-up of heat from the wattage. Those HID bulbs up above the 250w level really throw some heat from the bulbs, regardless of how much air is moving through the tent, and that glass really helps to keep the radiant heat away from the plants.

I'll definitely take a look at some of those MH posts as it's more than likely a safe call. And I hear what you're saying about the glass housing, as my next thought was to cut a hole in my hood and plum the ducting right up to the light.

I'm sure I talked about my watering setup in previous threads but I can't remember off the top of my head. I would say just look through all my journals until you see what you're looking for. You can do a thread title search with the word "hush" and find all of my journals. I always make it a point to put my name in the thread titles for this very reason. It's how I find my own threads when I'm searching for them.

Basically though, I can briefly sum it up by saying all I do is use a pump and some irrigation tubing, connected to a digital timer. If you have more specific questions about this that I'm not answering then fire away.

:tiphat:

Thanks again for your input. Without saying too much, the long and the short of it was when I was much younger I was my fathers trimmer and unfortunately I didn't get to learn enough before he stopped all together. The lights were his and I'm giving it a go on my own. I'm sure it'll be an interesting experience. Thanks again.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I do use a VPN, now that you mention it... But that wasn't what I was referring to, actually. I meant that I'm just one small gardener growing for personal medicine in a sea of 10+ kilowatt commercial farmers growing for profit. Even without a VPN there's not much of an overwhelming risk posting about my small-timey ways. But yeah, being that I'm still breaking the law I don't communicate privately with people about this subject. I would absolutely love to move to a medical state if I could, but I have to live where my job takes me.

Honestly if I were you I would buy a proper air-cooled reflector. They're like $80 or so online, including shipping. There's nothing shady about buying a reflector. They are used over large, open-top reef aquariums, as well as regular old indoor gardens, and they don't raise any flags... as long as you don't order from a place called "grow your own marijuana dot com" or some shit like that anyway. But yeah, I would buy an air cooled reflector and then use the 400w HPS instead of the 175. If you don't have the money to buy a new reflector, sell one of those lights on craigslist or something.

MacksKid

I do use a VPN, now that you mention it... But that wasn't what I was referring to, actually. I meant that I'm just one small gardener growing for personal medicine in a sea of 10+ kilowatt commercial farmers growing for profit. Even without a VPN there's not much of an overwhelming risk posting about my small-timey ways. But yeah, being that I'm still breaking the law I don't communicate privately with people about this subject. I would absolutely love to move to a medical state if I could, but I have to live where my job takes me.

Honestly if I were you I would buy a proper air-cooled reflector. They're like $80 or so online, including shipping. There's nothing shady about buying a reflector. They are used over large, open-top reef aquariums, as well as regular old indoor gardens, and they don't raise any flags... as long as you don't order from a place called "grow your own marijuana dot com" or some shit like that anyway. But yeah, I would buy an air cooled reflector and then use the 400w HPS instead of the 175. If you don't have the money to buy a new reflector, sell one of those lights on craigslist or something.

Gotcha, well i certainly appreciate the reassurance and I hope that someday your job will take you to a medical state or where ever you reside will go med/rec.

Just to make sure I'm not looking at the wrong product, is this what you're suggesting? Do I Pull the socket from my old hood or just use my bulb and old ballast with this hood? I found the one pictured from Ebay for $65 but would gladly get something better quality if you had any suggestions.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqNHJCEFHoTPmyECBR-BH8Kyeg~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqNHJCEFHoTPmyECBR-BH8Kyeg~~60_57.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 11
hey hush looking very nice!is it the same pheno of stacked kush you had in your other thread?
i love stacked kush ive grown her a bunch.this one you have in here looks oh so familiar.very nice girls!

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Gotcha, well i certainly appreciate the reassurance and I hope that someday your job will take you to a medical state or where ever you reside will go med/rec.

Just to make sure I'm not looking at the wrong product, is this what you're suggesting? Do I Pull the socket from my old hood or just use my bulb and old ballast with this hood? I found the one pictured from Ebay for $65 but would gladly get something better quality if you had any suggestions.

Yep, something that looks like that would be fine. They all seem to be the same to me. And it should come with the socket already installed. But that reminds me, you do want to make sure your ballast uses the standard cordset. If it doesn't, you'll need an adapter.

Thank you for the kind words.

hey hush looking very nice!is it the same pheno of stacked kush you had in your other thread?
i love stacked kush ive grown her a bunch.this one you have in here looks oh so familiar.very nice girls!

Yep it's the same one. I love this one too! The smell is so unique... like kushy chemmy smell with lemon mixed in, and a peppery spicy overtone. :D

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Seriously? What do you want me to say that wasn't already spelled out in my journal? Or if you're just being funny, then haha. (Ask more specific questions than that, lol)