What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stacked Kush under a Solar Flare 220

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
In my case, it's when the clones have enough roots to be put under a grow light and start being fed.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Day 47:

oEukcdb.jpg

EtyhDmj.jpg

yhY4Vra.jpg

o4AaXXW.jpg

The bleaching got pretty bad. This light is serious business. I will keep the plants much shorter next time. There's even sunburn on a few leaves.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I've been very busy this weekend so I'm sorry I didn't take any pics, but I harvested this garden yesterday. It was day 55 and they were ready. Ready enough, anyway. I wouldn't say I cut them early... More like I didn't let them go as long as I usually do. But this is an early-finishing strain, and I needed the space, so I called it.

I need this space to germinate a bunch of F2 seeds for my next run in the 4x4 tent. I'll post pics of the harvest after I manicure.

What was the final yield? Maybe that light would be better on a light mover since it's so intense. maybe keep it in the tent while raising the light to get more scattering of those photons to prevent hot spots.

Maybe nutrients needs to be lower, almost looks like nutrient toxicity, too. Not sure, though. Just some thoughts.

Def curious about yield.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I don't know the yield yet. I don't weigh wet. It'll be a few days until dried. I think all I'm going to do next time is just keep plants short, that's all. I have plenty of vertical space, as long as I don't put a 3' tall vegetated plant in here anymore. I'll probably do a scrog, more than likely, and keep the light way up there.

And yes, nutrient needs to be lower in here next time. I got too lazy about measuring and allowed myself to estimate and eyeball things way more than I should have. No more of that! There was no nutrient toxicity, but there was evidence of some burnt leaf tips.

id put your "eyeballing" techniques up against most of the ocd techniques I have seen on icmag. The whole minimum effort thing carries "a lot of weight" in a busy life (pun intended)....

Would taking more time be worth the few extra grams in your situation?

...I'm guessing you got a nice yield of some top notch smoke without all the extra effort. Sounds like a win to me!

Also, I'm curious if the bleached product just gets tossed or is there still a little "love" left in it? I would think the active ingredients would have been "vaped" away???

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Oh there's plenty of love left in it. The light bleaching doesn't seem to affect the cannabinoids the way that overheating does. It was too many photons affecting the pigmentation... not too much heat vaporizing away the essential oils.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Okay the yield is in!

I ended up with 116 grams, or 4.1 ounces. That's not bad at all! Especially considering this was just one plant, and the tent was barely filled. Also, and this is a first ever for me, there was ZERO popcorn. No larf whatsoever! The nugs down at the bottom of the branches are just as tight, dense, and stinky as the top nugs.

So, while I still believe I can get a larger yield out of this tent with this light, I'm very pleased with this round. I just needed something to stick in here after I moved, and I had this plant ready to go, so I made do with what I had, and here we are now. :D

I'll take pictures of the buds later. I'm exhausted.

MacksKid

Hey Hush,

I've been reading all your previous/current grows and qwiso journal. All excellent reads! I have a few questions for you and was curious if there's anyway to get a hold of you off the posts so I don't clutter things up?

Thanks!

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Thank you. :tiphat:

Honestly, I don't communicate with too many people outside of icmag so really this is the best place. I know that since you are a new member here you can't private message, and that would be the ideal way to ask me questions, but if you want you can just ask questions in here, in this thread. I wouldn't normally volunteer a grow journal of mine for this purpose, but since this grow is over it really wouldn't bother me. Ask away. :)

MacksKid

Rad! Thanks for being so open to my questions, I'm sure they're going come off a bit newbish and the reason I asked about a way to talk outside of icmag is because I'm not super comfortable talking on such an open forum.

But anyway, I was gifted a bunch of older lights and ballasts. Currently I'm sitting on a 175 MH only, 400, 600, and 1000. Unfortunately I don't have the space to use all of them but I'm in the process of building a 2.5x2.5x5 tent and was curious about your thoughts on how I could use either the 175 or the 400. I noticed in one of your posts that you were using MH only for the entire grow? Based on your results do you think a 175 would suffice for the entire grow in a small space or is it worth it to go with the 400 so I can swap between MH and HPS? If I do go with the 400 I'm nervous about heat. I was looking at the iPower fan and was curious on your experince with it? My lights don't have an inline hood so my thought was putting the ducting near the hood with a fan blowing towards the light to cool it and help push the heat towards duct, even though the negative pressure I'm sure will pull strong, I figured anything helps. I was also curious if you could point me in the direction of a good read for your watering system? I was planning on going soil or self watering coco but what you've got going on looks really cool. Thanks ahead and I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Rad! Thanks for being so open to my questions, I'm sure they're going come off a bit newbish and the reason I asked about a way to talk outside of icmag is because I'm not super comfortable talking on such an open forum.

Understood. But for me it's the opposite... I feel safe here because I'm a small, anonymous fish in a huge pond. ;)

But anyway, I was gifted a bunch of older lights and ballasts. Currently I'm sitting on a 175 MH only, 400, 600, and 1000. Unfortunately I don't have the space to use all of them but I'm in the process of building a 2.5x2.5x5 tent and was curious about your thoughts on how I could use either the 175 or the 400. I noticed in one of your posts that you were using MH only for the entire grow? Based on your results do you think a 175 would suffice for the entire grow in a small space or is it worth it to go with the 400 so I can swap between MH and HPS?

First of all, yes, you can do a grow entirely under MH lighting. There are entire threads dedicated to this very subject on just about every grow forum. The general consensus, which corroborates my own experience, is that it leads to smaller yields than HPS, but more trichome production. That being said, 175w is a bit underpowered for that sized space, but 400w is borderline too much, so the decision hinges on the ability to deal with the heat. Based on the fact that you don't have an air-cooled hood, I would choose the 175 if I were you. The only way I was able to do a 400 in my 2x2 tent is because I used a cool tube. And even then it was tough keeping things cool in there. So without an air-cooled hood, there's no question about it... I recommend the 175.

If I do go with the 400 I'm nervous about heat. I was looking at the iPower fan and was curious on your experince with it? My lights don't have an inline hood so my thought was putting the ducting near the hood with a fan blowing towards the light to cool it and help push the heat towards duct, even though the negative pressure I'm sure will pull strong, I figured anything helps.

Yeah, like I said above, heat would absolutely be an issue, even trying to do the duct thing you described. It has more to do with the radiant heat coming from the bulb than it does the build-up of heat from the wattage. Those HID bulbs up above the 250w level really throw some heat from the bulbs, regardless of how much air is moving through the tent, and that glass really helps to keep the radiant heat away from the plants.

I was also curious if you could point me in the direction of a good read for your watering system? I was planning on going soil or self watering coco but what you've got going on looks really cool. Thanks ahead and I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I'm sure I talked about my watering setup in previous threads but I can't remember off the top of my head. I would say just look through all my journals until you see what you're looking for. You can do a thread title search with the word "hush" and find all of my journals. I always make it a point to put my name in the thread titles for this very reason. It's how I find my own threads when I'm searching for them.

Basically though, I can briefly sum it up by saying all I do is use a pump and some irrigation tubing, connected to a digital timer. If you have more specific questions about this that I'm not answering then fire away.

:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts