What's new

Squanto…old Afghan heirloom

Midbio

Hey all. Finally doing a good seedless run of an heirloom seed variety I have that we call Squanto. I’ve posted about it in a different thread but basically it’s an old IBL seed line that I got from an old grower I used to work for. His crew brought it in in the 70s and pumped it out commercially. It’s an Afghan landrace/heirloom that looks like what some would call a Sativa… thin leaves, tall branchy type growth. After doing a couple seed increases with it I feel confident that I have enough seeds so that it’s not in danger of being lost so for this run I’m finally doing a good seedless crop with her. Right now I’ve got 11 seedlings
18B95654-4484-46F7-AEAD-C2A2F9C9A719.jpeg

I figured I’d do a grow log so that y’all can check it out. Gonna veg them through March and flower through April and May. I’ve been growing Squanto for years and they only take 7 to 8 weeks to mature. It’s almost uniform in finished product, we’ve never had to make clones the buds always come out the same. It’s always real special smoke.

midwestkid

Veteran
cool man. i will be watching. i have a line that segregated into narrow leaf and broad leaf. i smoked the narrow leaf expecting a sativa high and it pinned me to the bed. pretty excited to be running a couple of those currently.
and quite curious to watch yours develop. thanks for sharing

Midbio

Looks interesting, I would be keen to see the final product if the line is as truly old as you say. Do you happen to know what generation it would be on by now f6, f7 or any info like that?
The guy I worked for would do a seed increase every 4 or 5 years just to keep them viable and he was doing that since the late 70's. I didn't start working for him till the early 2000's so by that time they had to have already been at an f6 at the very least. The seeds I originally got of Squanto were from a seed increase made in 2010. The weird thing about Squanto is that no matter the filial generation they are basically unchanged so we've never felt like we've lost anything to time with this strain.

Midbio

cool man. i will be watching. i have a line that segregated into narrow leaf and broad leaf. i smoked the narrow leaf expecting a sativa high and it pinned me to the bed. pretty excited to be running a couple of those currently.
and quite curious to watch yours develop. thanks for sharing
Yeah man yours sounds similar to mine, while growing you would swear its a tropical sativa but when you smoke it its classic Indica

midwestkid

Veteran
here she is. 3 identical females like this. then 2 males with substantially broader leafs. i was pretty surprised to see this expression. Even more surprised when i smoked it and prepared for blast off - then fell asleep on the launch pad.

these came out of a cross between an afgooey and bubba kush. so i thought maybe it was the "maui haze" or something hiding in the afgooey lineage. but once again very heavy.
Screenshot_20240229_095550_Gallery.jpg

Midbio

here she is. 3 identical females like this. then 2 males with substantially broader leafs. i was pretty surprised to see this expression. Even more surprised when i smoked it and prepared for blast off - then fell asleep on the launch pad.

these came out of a cross between an afgooey and bubba kush. so i thought maybe it was the "maui haze" or something hiding in the afgooey lineage. but once again very heavy.
View attachment 18967040
woh your right, with a plant that looks like that I would definitely be thinking that I was gonna get some sativa type effects. How long did it flower? and what were the smells on her?

midwestkid

Veteran
yes, it was a confusing experience. flowering time was maybe 10 weeks? it was a seed increase, so i was monitoring seed development not the buds.
im running some of the offspring now and they have segregated again with 2 broad leafers and 2 narrow. hope to learn more this go round.
(smells were confusing as well. thai aromas with
20240223_204647.jpg
20240223_204654.jpg
kind of like a hot apple cinamon thing? im still trying to figure out a good description.)

Midbio

yes, it was a confusing experience. flowering time was maybe 10 weeks? it was a seed increase, so i was monitoring seed development not the buds.
im running some of the offspring now and they have segregated again with 2 broad leafers and 2 narrow. hope to learn more this go round.
(smells were confusing as well. thai aromas with View attachment 18967069 View attachment 18967070 kind of like a hot apple cinamon thing? im still trying to figure out a good description.)
that sounds like an interesting strain man, definitely hold on to that one

Midbio

Today I transferred the seedlings all into 5 gal pots where they will remain for the remainder of the grow
67F80660-2933-4F88-AE6C-7A180AECD8A2.jpeg

I’m down from 11 to 10 plants now as one just seemed stunted and being outpaced by its siblings, I saved it aside and will put it outside in the spring. All the others are growing very strong and healthy. I’ll continue veging them in the 3x3 and for the flower cycle I will be putting them all into a large shed that is have renovated into a grow room where they will have unlimited space. Here’s a couple close up shots
56AFACBA-0B21-47D1-A17A-21D5F6E2A05A.jpeg

83685075-9EDC-438D-87FD-89D2EC75B1C0.jpeg

For the soil, I mixed up a few bags of coast of Maine garden soil with a few pots from last years growing cycle and added a little bit of worm casting, little more perlite and some kelp meal.
9E115C2E-BBC3-4ACF-A71A-4AE6087B0E4D.jpeg

Midbio

Cruising along, usually at this point in veg I would give my plants the usual fish fertilizer I always use but Squanto is super sensitive to nutes, she burns easily. I feed all my plants river water that I collect in buckets. I haven’t had it tested but I would assume there’s minerals and possibly nitrogen from fish and plant life as well but that’s just a guess. One of plants is showing a really strong stalk for this early in veg
18253FEB-D229-4DD6-9A2F-ED94EAFCEB3B.jpeg

And one of them is turning very dark green compared to the rest
5BD9774D-D38D-416A-ACB4-2439C01C1E09.jpeg

They’re all showing good vibrancy there a couple standout favorites but that always changes as we move to the next phase in growth
5787B4F6-FE77-4D1F-9AC6-5041517D4FA4.jpeg

459A9576-0274-4C9C-8AA8-DA8EF1C84E77.jpeg

Midbio

Out of the 10 plants it was an even 50/50 split with male and females. The 5 males have been discarded and out of the 5 females 1 of them I decided to put back into veg cycle and I will be putting her outdoors later in May and she will be a full term very very large outdoor plant. 1 of the females had stunted growth that it never recovered from so I culled it which leaves me with 3 nice healthy females which are now in week 3 of flower

57BD23DE-F328-4DF9-9FE5-BAB11531CD60.jpeg

EFC310FC-47C7-4D60-96CE-7EC67AFA0049.jpeg

As you can tell one of them is a little dwarf pheno which is rare in this seedline but I really like the end product on them so I kept her
892AD25E-0993-4838-96D2-934513010CCB.jpeg

Attachments

• F7499F84-4487-43CB-A618-4E59ADE2F458.jpeg
    F7499F84-4487-43CB-A618-4E59ADE2F458.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 19

Midbio

any smells yet?
No major smells yet, the stem rub has a nice cedar smell to it. The smell of the finished product is always really stable with squanto. Some people describe it differently but I like to describe it as a musky tea/ chamomile with a hint of citrus. The only other strain I’ve smelt that was similar to Squanto is the Afghaan 90 from RSC which I also grow a lot of

Old Uncle Ben

No major smells yet, the stem rub has a nice cedar smell to it. The smell of the finished product is always really stable with squanto. Some people describe it differently but I like to describe it as a musky tea/ chamomile with a hint of citrus. The only other strain I’ve smelt that was similar to Squanto is the Afghaan 90 from RSC which I also grow a lot of

Your faves look great. Keep 'em green!

Been playing with pure indicas a lot lately, love them. Did Deep Chunk, Monkey Balls and my fave Lapis Mtn. indica. You can smell someone walking away with a "lid" of Lapis a block away. Most nauseating, rank skunky, citrus smell of any weed I've grown for 40 years. Great ass kicking high too. For an afghan it's rather euphoric, smooth....not the couch lock like the hype you read so often. VERY potent.

Haven't smoked it yet but I've got an old Afghann 90 cross curing in the fridge. Is a cross with the old 90's Master Kush, see my link. Got some fine seeds from a back cross of that one. Crossed the male with a Kwik Seeds "Afghan Mix" female too. Pure indica, no mutts. https://www.icmag.com/threads/my-ga...ons-fire-away-im-here-to-help.18129483/page-9

Happy gardening

Last edited:

Midbio

Your faves look great. Keep 'em green!

Been playing with pure indicas a lot lately, love them. Did Deep Chunk, Monkey Balls and my fave Lapis Mtn. indica. You can smell someone walking away with a "lid" of Lapis a block away. Most nauseating, rank skunky, citrus smell of any weed I've grown for 40 years. Great ass kicking high too. For an afghan it's rather euphoric, smooth....not the couch lock like the hype you read so often. VERY potent.

Haven't smoked it yet but I've got an old Afghann 90 cross curing in the fridge. Is a cross with the old 90's Master Kush, see my link. Got some fine seeds from a back cross of that one. Crossed the male with a Kwik Seeds "Afghan Mix" female too. Pure indica, no mutts. https://www.icmag.com/threads/my-ga...ons-fire-away-im-here-to-help.18129483/page-9

Happy gardening
Thanks!

That Master Kush x Afghaan 90 must be killer, Afghaan 90 be itself is one of my holy grail smokes, I always keep a stash of it growing .

Ive been wanting to grow the Lapis Mtn Indica for a while, I may have to get on that

Old Uncle Ben

Thanks!

That Master Kush x Afghaan 90 must be killer, Afghaan 90 be itself is one of my holy grail smokes, I always keep a stash of it growing .

Ive been wanting to grow the Lapis Mtn Indica for a while, I may have to get on that

A friend gave me original seeds he got from Cannacopia on the Lapis. I had them in the fridge for years, thought I'd give them a go. Searched high and low, can't find it now. What's crazy is out of 11 seeds I germed all were male but 2. I had some BEAUTIFUL males. Can't believe I didn't harvest any pollen from them, like this Deep Chunk. They were solid in pollen dust.

Here's the Lapis before the flip.

Cannacopia Lapiz Mtn. indica#2.jpg

Deep Chunk male. You can forget any internode space, it was leaves on top of leaves like someone stepped on it and squished it! :)

Deep Chunk male Jan 17.jpg