What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spots and yellow between veins, calcium?

LostTribe

Premium user
Could there have been something funky growing in the humidifier, since it had been sitting awhile? Just a thought..
Nope, brand new and its a new design shouldnt need cleaning. Its actually badass. $100 off amazon and it fits a culligan bottle but i've got it sitting on egg carton over a huge rubbermaid.

I read a little of that paper ACE. I have one of the tiny coco ones that really looks like the Ca deficient one. I think its Ca from the description. Lets see if the lower RH will help. It was over 60% for over a week. Shoot I cut all the effected fans off the bad tiny one.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
RH 50-62%
73-82F

Hi there! Does this swing happen in temp and rh when your heat kicks on? Creating a warmer and drier environment as it heats up? I have almost no experience with heating a grow but im sure as temps go up the rh goes down. Which would give you a very high VPD, in that case if it were 82 degrees and 50% rh your VPD is at a truly stressful 1.87. In veg ideally you would sit around a low stress environment of .8-.9 in flower ideally around 1.1-1.2 most of the run, i push it a tad higher into the stressful range at the end of flower but thats for the last 2 weeks or 10ish days. And i still max out around 1.3-1.39. When we run ac it gets cooler and drier which is less stressful. Im curious when these temp and rh swings happen and how long it takes to happen. I have a feeling the answer is there.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Between 5.5 and 6
With some exceptions, the optimal pH range for hydroponically grown crops is generally between 5.5 and 6. Google

When the pH is above 6 the pH locks up iron and other nutrients.

LostTribe

Premium user
Hydro should remain at 5.8 pH and soil at 6.2 pH. That's all and is so simple.
Normally I'd agree but this morning all plants appear to have gotten a little jump overnight. I always get updrift in hydro. I normally re adjust to 5.5 or so when I see it get over 6.0.

I turned off the humidifier overnight. It really puts out major vapor and I needed a new one anyway but I have noticed it reads different than the 3 hygrometers in the room. RH was lower at the floor this morning slightly.

LostTribe

Premium user
RH 50-62%
73-82F

Hi there! Does this swing happen in temp and rh when your heat kicks on? Creating a warmer and drier environment as it heats up? I have almost no experience with heating a grow but im sure as temps go up the rh goes down. Which would give you a very high VPD, in that case if it were 82 degrees and 50% rh your VPD is at a truly stressful 1.87. In veg ideally you would sit around a low stress environment of .8-.9 in flower ideally around 1.1-1.2 most of the run, i push it a tad higher into the stressful range at the end of flower but thats for the last 2 weeks or 10ish days. And i still max out around 1.3-1.39. When we run ac it gets cooler and drier which is less stressful. Im curious when these temp and rh swings happen and how long it takes to happen. I have a feeling the answer is there.
Thats from dark to lights on. I had temp swings for a couple weeks due to weather. Hoping it will stop getting so warm out soon. Well not really but for the garden yes.

I've adjusted the humidifier down.

RH was 40% this morning with it off overnight. I will try to get it to 50% and keep it there. Room is usually 77F with lights on but I had the hps set to full bore when it got up to 83.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thats from dark to lights on. I had temp swings for a couple weeks due to weather. Hoping it will stop getting so warm out soon. Well not really but for the garden yes.

I've adjusted the humidifier down.

RH was 40% this morning with it off overnight. I will try to get it to 50% and keep it there. Room is usually 77F with lights on but I had the hps set to full bore when it got up to 83.
I really think you need your rh a lot higher, what would you say average temp and rh is with lights on?

LostTribe

Premium user
Its 79 right now. RH is 45-50.

I scoped the SD's and the spots are brown but not more than one here and there not close together. I do see leaf tips where the interveinal area has chlorosis/necrosis. Any way I normally run a lower RH but its a different setup and it was going slow so thought adding the humidifier would get it moving. I have occasionally had pm on some bases but nothing definitive from the scope. There appeared to be some clear droplets at 100x but its not like the fuzz on the clones. I start Silicone after cloning and it usually goes away. I've sprayed everything with micronized sulfur as a preventative. 1tsp/gal. They look better though after the humidifier off so I turned it down shooting for 50.

LostTribe

Premium user
I usually spray if i see anything that looks like it could pop up but normally use 1 part 70iso /4 parts water and a few drops of sals suds in a half gallon sprayer. Sals has tee tree oil in it and a few others maybe fir or pine. Eitherway, I havent used it in a couple weeks I don't believe. I dont use much its not like neem or something heavy more for surficant with a tiny added benefit. Can't remember where I got the recipe from but havent had issues with it. Certainly dont want to spray sulfur or burn it if you've been using or plan to use any major oil sprays.

LostTribe

Premium user
RH 50-62%
73-82F

Where did you come up with 1.87 for 82F and 50%RH? Thats 1.32kPa on my chart.

I was shooting for 77-78F and 60%RH, ~0.80 kPa.

Which chart are you using? I'm staring at the dimluxlight.com chart.

edit: I SEE THAT THE DIMLUX IS NOT THE SAME, MORE LIKE DIMWITS!!! Anyone have a trusty recommended VPD chart/calc?

Last edited:

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dr. Greenhouse makes an app. I use that, and ive compared charts and this app is legit some of them out there are trash. You need to either dramatically lower temp or dramatically increase rh for proper transpiration.

LostTribe

Premium user
What kPa is optimal for veg/bloom. I'll look.

Veg .8 to 1.1
Bloom 1.0 to 1.5

I think I may have found my biggest issue with this. I've struggled for quite a while, sure I only grow for the most part once a year other than a couple small ones for personal seeds here and there. I havent measured RH until recently and think that the last place must have had a pretty high humidity, I know it was cooler. I'm pretty much stuck with the temp and looks like lights on will be between 70 and 82F esp when I get both lights on 100%, currently at 60% on both. I left one end of the room open so I'll get it sealed up asap that way it will stay more constant and should maybe keep the temp up a bit more lights out.

LostTribe

Premium user
I have had constant issues going from clones to veg. It has to be this, i've switched around to all sorts of crap. I was also feeding way too low with coco but this is hydro and I'm more familiar with it. Appreciate everything and everybody have a good one!

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What kPa is optimal for veg/bloom. I'll look.

Veg .8 to 1.1
Bloom 1.0 to 1.5

I think I may have found my biggest issue with this. I've struggled for quite a while, sure I only grow for the most part once a year other than a couple small ones for personal seeds here and there. I havent measured RH until recently and think that the last place must have had a pretty high humidity, I know it was cooler. I'm pretty much stuck with the temp and looks like lights on will be between 70 and 82F esp when I get both lights on 100%, currently at 60% on both. I left one end of the room open so I'll get it sealed up asap that way it will stay more constant and should maybe keep the temp up a bit more lights out.
I would only push up to 1.4 in flower and in the last two weeks. In the beginning 2 weeks of flower keep it closer to .9, weeks 3-4 to 1.0-1.1, weeks 4-7 to 1.1-1.2 and then 8-9 or 10 if you go that long i try to swing between 1.2-1.4 tops. This gives you the sweet spot of yield and trich production ime. Best of luck!

LostTribe

Premium user
Update

Some are looking better. Most of the new growth is good. Trinity has most of the problems and the lower part of the plant is most affected. There is necrosis between veins on close to tips. Also shows some dots and yellowing between veins. SD's are both still showing spots. I treated with micronized sulfur as a preventative to PM but havent seen any under scope. RH is now at 62% and temp 76F. I am keeping the RH up and it seems to be helping. Thought much appreciated. They are growing just want them to go as good as they can.

JayP SD this has variegation so thats normal its the spots that are the issue
DSC08743.JPG

JayP SD
DSC08744.JPG

Trinity
DSC08746.JPG

DSC08748.JPG

SFV
DSC08745.JPG

Trinity
DSC08747.JPG

Trinity
DSC08749.JPG
DSC08750.JPG

Thanks LT

LostTribe

Premium user
I think I need to shoot for 5.5 and keep it to 5.9? More available K shit then Mg is reduced...Trinity def needs more Mg.

Sour D
SFV
Trinity having issues

Wedding Cake hybrid looks fine. Now that I got the vpd going better I gotta watch the ph. I'll flush with RO tomorrow but not seeing lockout.

LostTribe

Premium user
Probalby lockout.

I will do a full flush. Its been a while. When in doubt rolling dro flush n re fire it up.