What's new

Spools, China, and Collection chamber alternatives

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would trust a DOT approved refrigerant tank over the homemade variety.. and there isn't much room for margins there unless you are bringing a full container load. Even then, there are markets that im familiar with that are more accessible and more profitable. Mature industries are hard to penetrate.

I've seen recovery tank pressure as high as 450psi, running dual TR-21's with no after cooler, so recommend staying with something capable of those pressures in case something goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong...............

You will never get there with a sanitary spool, not because the wrapper isn't thick enough, but because of the deflection an the ends, which bow the lid up off the gasket.

Even if you had special spun hemispherical heads made for lids, the clamping system isn't strong enough for those pressures.

Our 50# refrigerant recovery tank is rated at 350 PSI, so burst is probably around 1000 psi.

It would be easy to manufacture the tanks using a welded wrapper and spun heads, but with it comes the liability of manufacturing a pressure vessel, so much insurance premium would be added to the cost, as would ASTME certification.

You would also have to solution anneal them afterwards to retain the corrosion properties in the weld zone, or use a low carbon grade of a higher chromium grade of stainless, adding more cost.

We aren't happy with water accumulating in the carbon steel tanks, so are looking for an already made stainless tank, which might be drawn into service.

RHH

Better late than never. Here are the photos:

From top to bottom:
12" end caps SS304
12" pipe spools SS304
12" high pressure clamps SS304
Assorted goodies ;D

jT1D3UX.jpg

Swif2ZL.jpg

6jPKKYE.jpg

YqTiBpD.jpg

All the parts fit great and there are already a few of you on this forum up and running with parts from this batch.

I'm going to be putting together an updated build guide for terpenators so you guys can avoid some of the treachery of using the original MK2/MK3 parts list and updating them to reflect the developments of the last 3 years.

RHH

Hell yeah. That's what I like to hear!! Glad that worked out well for you, how was the ordering process?

From placing the order to receiving products was about 50 days. It was a pain haggling with them. Sometimes they quoted me prices higher than what I can buy parts for domestically. Really made me question what kind of markup I'm paying...but I'm hesitant to switch vendors because of fears of quality issues. Once you find someone that works for you it's better to keep working with them than to try to penny pinch a few bucks going elsewhere.

I know a few companies(Brewer's Hardware & Glacier) have had issues with getting parts that meet specifications but I haven't had those issues yet. Makes me really weary about trying someone new.

Shipping is a double edged sword. Ocean freight charges are really frustrating. The cost of transporting the products from Wenzhou to my local port was about 7% of the total shipping charge. That last 25 miles was 93% of the fees--which was mostly fixed cost for trucking fees, "warehouse fees", "forklift fees", etc. If I were to import a full 20ft container I think it would've only been double the price for 40x the amount of goods. Crazy, huh?

Oh, and here is a teaser photo. :woohoo:

T8nxgWp.jpg

I will probably wait until I can sell off some of these parts before I do another order.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Thought I would update you guys...my container left China yesterday. Negotiating it all was a bitch and a half but well worth it. In ~2 weeks I'll have 12" spools with high pressure 2-bolt clamps and 12" end caps. Enough to build more mk5's than I have fingers and toes. Plan is to build 3-5 extractors for me and sell the rest of the parts.

I still remember the first time I thought "I can buy an ounce of herb and sell 3/4's:biggrin:"

Next level shit here.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We received our prototypes as well, and they look good. Shipping damage was an issue, even shipping air express so I will negotiate for better packaging on our production orders.

We negotiated a reasonable price on lots of 10 and 100, but did push hard enough to bump the negotiations up one level in China. The real savings was in the manufactured parts, because of the cheap labor in there, the manufactured parts cost very little more than the parts they comprise.

Their manufacturing has worked out so well in fact, that I will redesign more of the parts to be perfect for the job, as opposed to made out of existing parts.

Here are pictures of them partially assembled. Still working on the evacuation and flooding plumbing and the Mk V actually requires a stand to operate, so the build is for fit and finish check, as well as to be able to pressure test them as a system:

Attachments

• Chinese Prototypes-1-1.jpg
    Chinese Prototypes-1-1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Better late than never. Here are the photos:

From top to bottom:
12" end caps SS304
12" pipe spools SS304
12" high pressure clamps SS304
Assorted goodies ;D

View Image
View Image
View Image
View Image

All the parts fit great and there are already a few of you on this forum up and running with parts from this batch.

I'm going to be putting together an updated build guide for terpenators so you guys can avoid some of the treachery of using the original MK2/MK3 parts list and updating them to reflect the developments of the last 3 years.

Good job! I note that you are using hinged clamps for the smaller connections, where we have used high pressure clamps at all locations. We use one hinged 4" clamp in concert with a blank end cap, as an aid to loading, but it isn't used under pressure.

The reason for that is that even though you can get a seal with a hinged clamp, not as reliably as the two piece clamp with two bolts and bronze nuts.

prune

Veteran
Lol, there's never any food in Graywolfs kitchen pictures, but Pavlov decrees that i drool anyway...

RHH

Looking good, GDub! I'm sure WolfWurx will kill it with your secret sauce powering it.

I checked and saw that 4" single hinge clamps are rated for roughly 200psi ( https://www.gvc.net/docs/Triclamp Pressure Ratings.pdf ) so I wasn't too concerned about them leaking. The trade-off for ease of use was worth it. The 2-bolt clamps are a bit more annoying to work with if you have a very tall column. I may try 2-bolt clamps in the future for 4" if I pick up any issues with the leak detector. Thanks for always looking out for our safety =D.

I agree that having the welding and machining done in China is super cheap and high quality. I pay $2 per endcap for welding and CNC machining. Literally 100x cheaper than what I pay domestically.

RHH

I would love to buy pre made end caps, if they ever become available.

Give me an email address to contact you at and I can probably figure something out for you if you don't mind waiting a few weeks(or paying more for expedited).

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GW why would you want to top down flood with the mkiv instead of bottom up?

It will flood from either direction, but the intent is to use the top flood as a flush.

We've found that we get slightly a higher yield if we flood from the bottom, but flush the columns from the top on the last cycle, after opening the lower dump valve. A nuance.

All of the extractions systems seem to work, just trying to make the Terpenators the clear choice of discriminating extractors.