What's new

Split from : The Complete guide to Sick Plants,pH, and Pest troubles!

well i added about 3.5L of tap water to make up for evap...at 80ppm and added 15ml of calmax to my ~34L res...so it is at about 1/2 strength...and now ppms are up to 515...should I add a tiny bit more of the iguana grow to biring it to 550? or wait and see how the plant reacts? ph is at about 6.2

Cheers

PS growth is taking off..no cam right now...but the brown tips on the leaves when they grow out a bit still remain...albeit it doesnt spread as fast though.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Wait a bit adding more....... the burnt tips will remain and will not heal up. You want to make sure it does not spread much, it may spread slightly more and stop all together if you fixed it.

When they look alot more perky and such you will know when to add more, when you do; add it in incretments and slowly, no more than 100-150 ppms at a time.

A

alegoblin

Thanks mynamestitch I have already gleaned much from your wealth of information here.You rock.:eek:)

hey stitch..hows it going? Uploading is temporarily disabled so I can't put up any pics but the plant has almost doubled in size over the last week. I was away for the weekend but what I have noticed is that the patchy browning on the leaves is starting again but not at the lower-most leaves. Some have signs of a mag defficiency even though i have added some calmax. But two of the biggest fan leaves are showing the brownish necrotic patches forming on the leaves.

ppms are at 580 and everything seems normal. Any ideas?

Cheers

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
have you kept your food amount you gave them the same or upped it at all since they doubled in size?
How big are they now?

I would say around 8-9" tall...really filling in too. The lower leaves show a mag def which I will fix when I completely replace res water with properly mixed water (tomorow) but have stopped dying from the brown patching...which is now starting to show up on the higher leaves.

sammy420

Plant troubles

Plant troubles

How long has this problem been going on? - 2-3 weeks.
What STRAIN are you growing? N/A 1 indica, 1 sativa, 1 hybrid.
What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?) seed.
What is the age of your plants? 3 months.
How Tall are the plants? 2-3 feet.
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in? 7 weeks Flower.
What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc) natural growth.
What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot) 3 gallon; 1
What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?) potting soil 30% perlite.
What Nutrient's are you using?How much of each with how much water? How Often? *Knowing the brand is very helpful* fox farm fruit&flower, top dressing. Once every other week.
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used? N/A
What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"? N/A. Soil ph is between 6-7.
What method of pH test was administered? Using Strips? pH pen? Probe.
How often are you watering? every three days.
When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding?
What size bulb are you using? 100 w
What is the distance to the canopy? 14-16 in.
What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity) N/A. low....
What is the canopy temperature? 75-80 deg.
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range) 65-70 deg.
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.) 100 approximately.
Is the fan blowing directly at plants? yes.
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist? moist not wet
Is your water HARD or SOFT? soft.
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water? Shallow well.
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched? minimal.
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when? No.
Are plant's infected with pest's? No.

Well, the issue is that, the plants are spotted like its a lack of calcium. but i'm not sure if its just because of the flowering cycle. The spots started in the middle sections of the plants, and now is starting to progress to the tops. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I do have pics, but we can't upload right now for some reason. Will try again soon.

Last edited:

DopeyChick

Hi Stitch,

you seem to be very knowledgeable about plants, could you see if you could help me by looking at my photographs in my post about my leaf problem

I'd really appreciate it

Thanks

Kx

Hey Stitch....now that uploading is back here are some pics.

Let me give you my diagnosis and tell me what you think. pH is high and a couple days ago I added way too much pH down to bring it from about a 6.4 to a 5.9. As such, I had to remix a new res batch and today (about 3 days later) it has drifted back up to about the same point. The high pH is causing my plant to lock out calcium and magnesium which is evident in the pics (mag for sure...calcium is the brown spotting?) As you can see from the earlier pics it is picking up speed again and I noticed this morning that there was some calcium spotting on one of the growth shoots' leaves.

What do I do to resolve this. How much pH down should I add? It is a a 28L res. Last time I added about 40mL but the TDS jumped so high my meter almost couldnt read it. The ppm of my current mix is about 600.

Thanks in advance for the help.

~Day 35 veg

Hey Stitch it has been some time since I have heard from you...and still no real recovery in the plants. Tips are yellow all around...still getting brown patches and the new leaves are overly light green.

I made another posting in the infirmary with recent pics of the plants and people suggested it was both cal/mag def and nute burn. They said AN nutes are strong and I should cut my dose in half. So today was the day for a res change (every 2 weeks) and so I mixed up a new batch with only 2ml/L of iguana juice instead of the recommended 3.5ml/L.

I also added 1ml/L of calmax like last time which is the lower end of the recommended dose for hydro setups. But as you can see, that doesn't seem to have helped with the defs.! Should I try foliar feeding with epsom salts?

My ppms are 350 now compared to the 550-600 u said they should be at. Especially at this point in veg. What are your thoughts?

Also, someone suggested that the hose could be throwing things off. Ever had that problem?

Really appreciate any help u can give!

Cheers mate

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Hey there donatello, dude I am very sorry about not posting back; I have been so busy I have not even had time to check my email.

My son's school was approached by verizon wireless to put up a damn cell tower in the backyard of my sons school and the damn thing will be so fucking close to his school it's not even funny matter so I have been spending every waking hour fighting this and so has the school; I Have been providing documentation on safety data done on these towers and such to the school and they have gotten an attorney.

So, since the plants were burned to begin with; roots are more frail making it less likely to handle NORMAL nutrient levels for the plants, so yes you did a great thing reducing it; cause I stated a while back if it was still too high to reduce it even more...... How close is your lighting, those leaves are curling up slightly; some due to nutrient andf some due to lighting it looks like; but I could be wrong, because nute burn can make the same markings like heat stress; so how close is the light?

Your roots are good; it's a nutrient related issue which you are in luck :)

Very easy to solve!
So for a few days keep it at that and move it up very slowly, cause since they are at the size they are and the very low ppm they will pic k up very quickly so you want to slowly increase it by 50 to 100 ppms by weeks end......

then we will see how the plant looks and increase it as needed.
I will be here from now on so I won't leave ya hanging :)

Thanks Stitch...you gotta do what you gotta do. So the ppms are at 420 right now...so byu weeks end I should aim for 470-520? Should I take into account the changes that occur when I add pH down? Or should I just add the iguana juice and ph Down as needed without adding more calmax until the next res change? And when I do the res change I start off at the same ppm as I left off?

Sorry bout all the questions but I'm a hydro newb. Some other thoughts I had which might be causing the problem are in another recent post I made. I am getting paranoid so I hope this reduced nute feed helps!!!

Cheers mate thanks for the help.