What's new

Spider mites help

Smeden

Thanks for all the good inputs.

I have a compressor and proper paint gun, but I dont see it as the way forward. Will end with around 20 plants per greenhouse in 28 and 48L airports = not easy to spray each plant and be sure to wet all leaf undersides.

@Creeperpark you mention Pyrethrum bombs. I cannot find any bombs, but I can find Pyrethrum insect spray in 600ml cans. Would it be worth a try to empty 2 cans per tent with closed door and windows + oscilating fan on full speed? I could easily try it every 2 days for a week.

I know higher humidity will not fix my problem, but I have a feeling it will help me in the right direction.

Spraying RO water also sounds interesting if I can drown them, but again I need to get every cm2 of every leaf which is difficult.

One of the green houses. Repotting is ongoing. One Amnesia Lemon Haze pheno was not happy about cloning and produce 1 finger leafs at week 5. I will most likely ditch these if they dont revert to normal growth.
IMG_3840.jpg

I think I will buy 3 x 8" extraction fans and blow hot air out at the back.
Then keep the doors closed going forward and see what the temp say.
With open door it is an invitation to any bug.

Is it possible to put a stationary fogger and let them "fog all night/every night"?
I dont think it will work during daytime, as the fog will have evaporated before hitting the leaves?

The last 2 months I have been using a 8L garden sprayer and it can make very fine mist, when I pump it to max pressure. But the mofos doesnt mind Spinosad or Neem Oil showers, so I need to find something stronger. I am afraid... I dont want to share the plants with them, that is for sure.

Smeden

I have found 2 foggers.

1. Small unit 1500W and 100ml tank. It produces a lot of FOG, but I guess for max 5min before refill is needed.

2. Larger unit 90W and 16L tank. I should go for this one, if it is a good idea to let them fog all night.

What is the ideal "fog" time per day/night?
Fogger 1. seems to use high temp in its process. Will high temps kill the active ingredients in Spinosad?

Cuddles

I´ve been thinking and come up with an idea in terms of preventing borg infections in the first place.
Here´s the idea:
If you already have a grow space, no matter which kind, clean it as I mentioned above. If you have a regular room or similar then clean it and give it a new layer of paint.

Next, and here´s the actual idea - treat the space with whatever pest control is available or appropriate. I mean put the stuff all over the grow space - the walls, windows, floor , ceiling and so on.
Perhaps this will stop the buggers from invading and nesting in the first place?

Also, clean and treat the outside with pest control , in this case it means the greenhouse too. :)

They do say that prevention is the best medicine of all, right ;)

Can you replace the fake grass carpet with something which is easier to keep clean?

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
My dream is to live in Phuket. Like others mentioned they love bottom of leaves so need to shootup from below. I used the cheap foggers and they clog easy. No matter what you use you need at least 5 treatments 3 days apart. In addition but can work alone UVC light kills the eggs, BUT DO NOT LOOK AT IT. It is used 15 minutes after lights out. Have heard to use it every 3 days till gone. Too much is bad for all living things. Destroys the DNA in eggs. Other things to spay are 50/50 isopropyl and water, hot chili pepper mixture (Prevasyn), Spinosad, Neem, Venerate. Peppermint oil is supposed to drive them away, and Chrysanthemum is supposed to attract them.

Loc Dog

Veteran
I´ve been thinking and come up with an idea in terms of preventing borg infections in the first place.
Here´s the idea:
If you already have a grow space, no matter which kind, clean it as I mentioned above. If you have a regular room or similar then clean it and give it a new layer of paint.

Next, and here´s the actual idea - treat the space with whatever pest control is available or appropriate. I mean put the stuff all over the grow space - the walls, windows, floor , ceiling and so on.
Perhaps this will stop the buggers from invading and nesting in the first place?

Also, clean and treat the outside with pest control , in this case it means the greenhouse too. :)

They do say that prevention is the best medicine of all, right ;)

Can you replace the fake grass carpet with something which is easier to keep clean?
You might like this. Expensive. I was thinking across threshold of door and hanging from bottom of door. 2 big issues are fans and flies. Not my last nightmare but several years ago I am pretty sure they spread through flies or stink bugs. sorry forgot link 4th item on page - https://olsonproducts.com/insect-control.html

Cuddles

You might like this. Expensive. I was thinking across threshold of door and hanging from bottom of door. 2 big issues are fans and flies. Not my last nightmare but several years ago I am pretty sure they spread through flies or stink bugs. sorry forgot link 4th item on page - https://olsonproducts.com/insect-control.html
we had those type of things in our house when I was a kid. We lived in the countryside and there were animals right on the other side of the garden fence, which meant tons, and I mean tons of flies everywhere. My parents used to put those `sticky tape´thing up. Question is though, will the borg fall for these things?

Loc Dog

Veteran
we had those type of things in our house when I was a kid. We lived in the countryside and there were animals right on the other side of the garden fence, which meant tons, and I mean tons of flies everywhere. My parents used to put those `sticky tape´thing up. Question is though, will the borg fall for these things?
I was thinking of the tape as barrier not attractant. Chrysanthemum are supposed to be there favorite. When they come in season I plan on getting some and putting outside grow room and monitoring them.

Lrus007

Veteran
dono if you can get the chem's but
how to nuke mites for good
a mix of floromite, stirrup and indicate 5
in a pump sprayer cover each plant 3 times
3 days apart then there gone...

jackspratt61

Edenblue has a proprietary saponin product combined with calcium silicate and iodine that will naturally take care of molds and insects. 100% works.

Cuddles

I was thinking of the tape as barrier not attractant. Chrysanthemum are supposed to be there favorite. When they come in season I plan on getting some and putting outside grow room and monitoring them.
right, but if you want to catch them with it so they don´t bother the plants, they need to like it enough in order to go to them in the first place, right? :)

Smeden

Hi all

Thanks for all the good inputs again.

I have ordered a sistematic pesticide (Neonincotinoid) which I am told is ok to use 5-6 weeks before human consumption. Since I need to veg them some more before flower I guess I can consider the buds safe 12-15 weeks after application?

Also ordered 8" / 550cbm/h extraction fan and 2 x 16" oscilating fans for each greenhouse.
I hope the air extraction will be enough to keep the doors closed and maybe reduce the temp a bit compared to non windy days and open door 45C.

Anybody see a problem with the artificial grass as floor? it is very comfy, easy to clean and allows me to saturate with water = raise the RH in each greenhouse. Outside RH is 43% on a day like today.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Be careful for the bee population with that stuff.Can you get rosemary oil? There is or was a product on the market with rosemary oil that worked fine against mites.

Loc Dog

Veteran
I was also interested in what temperature might kill the bacteria since using fogger. The info is very vague, so e-mailed a manufacturer and should have answer Monday.

Green81

Veteran
Hi Smeden

Have you tried harka-mectin it’s used for mite problems on Pidgeon’s but works for plants too.

2-3 applications 3 days apart, I think it 1ml per litre of water. Only during veg stage.

Has worked for a lot of people in the UK.
Also there’s a recipe for isopropyl/ water mix but haven’t tried this method.

G81

Cuddles

Be careful for the bee population with that stuff.Can you get rosemary oil? There is or was a product on the market with rosemary oil that worked fine against mites.
alternatively you can just plant rosemary alongside the plants or sprinkle it in and around (ie the outside) the greenhouse. Not sure if this would actually help, it´s just a thought :)

St. Phatty

Thanks for all the good inputs.

I have a compressor and proper paint gun, but I dont see it as the way forward. Will end with around 20 plants per greenhouse in 28 and 48L airports = not easy to spray each plant and be sure to wet all leaf undersides.

@Creeperpark you mention Pyrethrum bombs. I cannot find any bombs, but I can find Pyrethrum insect spray in 600ml cans. Would it be worth a try to empty 2 cans per tent with closed door and windows + oscilating fan on full speed? I could easily try it every 2 days for a week.

I know higher humidity will not fix my problem, but I have a feeling it will help me in the right direction.

Spraying RO water also sounds interesting if I can drown them, but again I need to get every cm2 of every leaf which is difficult.

One of the green houses. Repotting is ongoing. One Amnesia Lemon Haze pheno was not happy about cloning and produce 1 finger leafs at week 5. I will most likely ditch these if they dont revert to normal growth.
View attachment 18815803

I think I will buy 3 x 8" extraction fans and blow hot air out at the back.
Then keep the doors closed going forward and see what the temp say.
With open door it is an invitation to any bug.

Is it possible to put a stationary fogger and let them "fog all night/every night"?
I dont think it will work during daytime, as the fog will have evaporated before hitting the leaves?

The last 2 months I have been using a 8L garden sprayer and it can make very fine mist, when I pump it to max pressure. But the mofos doesnt mind Spinosad or Neem Oil showers, so I need to find something stronger. I am afraid... I dont want to share the plants with them, that is for sure.

Is that in the Southern Hemisphere ?

It looks well-lit, but I don't see any lights.

Smeden

@jackspratt61 thx, but I cannot find this product for sale in Thailand.

@mexcurandero420 I will be careful and only use when I can close the doors + 550cbm/h exhaust fan and passive intake via the 6 windows with mesh screen = no access for larger insects.

@Green81 No I have not tried harka-mectin. I have located a shop selling Harkers Coxitabs (UK made, so I assume this is the brand you are referring to?) but they are tablet form and I need to be careful not mixing up too many different insecticides.

@Cuddles will Rosemary attract or deter spider mites?

@St. Phatty Im in Thailand 12 degree N. The sun is very strong here and the plants grow very fast, when they are happy. But they are not so happy due to this Spider mite infestation.

Current plan:
* Use the pesticide (sistematic) and spray every 2nd day for a week with closed door, open windows and extraction fan on.
* Ordered 9 x 300ml cans with Pyrethrum and plan to empty 3 cans per greenhouse (closed door and windows and extraction fan off - let it work for 15-20min).

I want to stay positive and hopeful for a solution, but my stomach feeling tells me that I am not going to get rid of them so easy. I have already tried most of the "natural" insecticides without any luck.

St. Phatty

@St. Phatty Im in Thailand 12 degree N. The sun is very strong here and the plants grow very fast, when they are happy. But they are not so happy due to this Spider mite infestation.

Current plan:
* Use the pesticide (sistematic) and spray every 2nd day for a week with closed door, open windows and extraction fan on.
* Ordered 9 x 300ml cans with Pyrethrum and plan to empty 3 cans per greenhouse (closed door and windows and extraction fan off - let it work for 15-20min).

The date on your post is Friday, so it looks like you are at the beginning of flowering.

So it is safe to do a complete dunk into Safer's soap.

For that you need some Safer's concentrate and a 30 gallon size garbage can. And something to put on top of the soil before you turn the plant upside down to dunk it.

You have to dunk every plant 2 or maybe 3 times. The egg cycle is about 3 days, and just dunking once doesn't get rid of the eggs.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
so if the plants have the proper nutes...no mites.... sorry, but i don't believe that... i have had plants that were healthier then shit... and still had mites... thoses fukers are everywhere..
Your plants were still missing something (molybdenum or nickel perhaps and possibly UV) or your nutrients were providing too much ammonium nitrate. Mites literally cannot digest plants healthy enough to produce the proteins they're supposed to when fully healthy. The proteins destroy the digestive system of the mites and kill them.

Science!

As for mites... they're stupid easy as long as you find and eliminate the original source of infection and then:

Mix 1 ounce of 91% isopropyl alcohol in a gallon of water and a surfactant.
Protect the root zone from runoff/dripping.
Completely spray every plant until dripping, then shake and let dry in a breeze. (keep from breathing)

Do this every 3 days for 5 treatments.

Your mites will be gone, regardless if they're 'resistant' or not. You're welcome. :tiphat: