What's new

Spider mites AKA The Borg

AlwaysLearning

Chat Moderator
How I killed the Borg durning fower with no damage to buds

How I killed the Borg durning fower with no damage to buds

I really do hate the Borg. They gave me problems for a while. I tried using Bang! and Neem oil but it seems they quickly became immune to it. After a large heat wave a few years back, I noticed an explosion of mites in my flower room seemingly over night. I had just tried Avid with success in my veg room but wasnt so sure about smoking the buds after being sprayed with these chemicals even if I was going to rinse them with water.

So, I took my biggest mother plant in the veg room and sprayed her down with a mixture of Avid AND Stirrup-M. Then I moved her to the flowering room and hoped for the best. Sure enough it worked. The mites were attracted to the Stirrup-M and the Avid did the rest. I moved the mother out of there after a few days to put her back in to constant light, then repeated the process a few days later after the mite eggs that were in the environment had hatched. I noticed that the mother had many bite marks on her but she recovered just fine with her growth not being stunted after returned to the constant light.

Since then I maybe have to spray for mites once a year if that. Using the stirrup M also makes it so you dont have to spray every square inch of your plants, tops and bottoms of leaves. Just a nice little spray over the canopy and the mites come crawling out like you're the Pied Piper.

Dont want Avid or Stirrup on any of your pot plants? Completely understandable. Simply buy a leafy house plant from the store and dose that up with Avid and Stirrup M then just throw it away when you're done.

I hope this story is useful to someone out there, mites have certainly caused me so much stress that if this information can help lower someone elses stress then I would be happy.

Here is where I purchased the products mentioned above: http://rosemania.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page9.html

Best wishes,

Always Learning

Danknuggler

I really do hate the Borg. They gave me problems for a while. I tried using Bang! and Neem oil but it seems they quickly became immune to it. After a large heat wave a few years back, I noticed an explosion of mites in my flower room seemingly over night. I had just tried Avid with success in my veg room but wasnt so sure about smoking the buds after being sprayed with these chemicals even if I was going to rinse them with water.

So, I took my biggest mother plant in the veg room and sprayed her down with a mixture of Avid AND Stirrup-M. Then I moved her to the flowering room and hoped for the best. Sure enough it worked. The mites were attracted to the Stirrup-M and the Avid did the rest. I moved the mother out of there after a few days to put her back in to constant light, then repeated the process a few days later after the mite eggs that were in the environment had hatched. I noticed that the mother had many bite marks on her but she recovered just fine with her growth not being stunted after returned to the constant light.

Since then I maybe have to spray for mites once a year if that. Using the stirrup M also makes it so you dont have to spray every square inch of your plants, tops and bottoms of leaves. Just a nice little spray over the canopy and the mites come crawling out like you're the Pied Piper.

Dont want Avid or Stirrup on any of your pot plants? Completely understandable. Simply buy a leafy house plant from the store and dose that up with Avid and Stirrup M then just throw it away when you're done.

I hope this story is useful to someone out there, mites have certainly caused me so much stress that if this information can help lower someone elses stress then I would be happy.

Here is where I purchased the products mentioned above: http://rosemania.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page9.html

Best wishes,

Always Learning
This could be exactly what I've been looking for as I'm 5 weeks into flower and most conventional methods require a very heavy spray on the entire plant and well my chem d flowers are huge and very dense already so I cant really spray them much if at all.Do you think using the stirrup with floromite would work a swell or is the stirrup working better with avid?reason I ask is 1 oz's of floromite for 29.99 can be had on ebay as opposed to a 130 or something for the avid.

Danknuggler

Ok I found the answer to my own question so if anybody was wondering the floramite or the avid are recommended to be used with the stirrup m. Geez I never thought I'd be over at the infirmary but thank jah its here cuz I feel helpless atm as I got webbing like crazy on a couple of my best looking and biggest yielders. I'll let you all know what happens as I am ordereing a 1 oz of floromite and an 8 oz of stirrup m its gonna cost around 70$ shipped for the both.nuggler

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Talking to a mate last night, he has a new, radical solution to gross infestations late in Flower that actually seems to work, proper Old Skool Mass Slaughter.....

Co2 Fire Extinguishers ......

He carefully sprays the plants with the fire extinguisher and kills 95% of the sods in one go, not a total solution but he swears it really makes a significant difference in the war. Make sure you do not go too far and freeze the plants, he has not [yet...] and swears it has really kicked the infestation in the teeth - they were at the stage of forming blobs, looking for new hosts, now they are no longer seen blobbing.... he is "treating" every 3 or 4 days.

This info is originally from a proper grow guru who knows exactly what he is doing, not a f'kwit....

Danknuggler

Talking to a mate last night, he has a new, radical solution to gross infestations late in Flower that actually seems to work, proper Old Skool Mass Slaughter.....

Co2 Fire Extinguishers ......

He carefully sprays the plants with the fire extinguisher and kills 95% of the sods in one go, not a total solution but he swears it really makes a significant difference in the war. Make sure you do not go too far and freeze the plants, he has not [yet...] and swears it has really kicked the infestation in the teeth - they were at the stage of forming blobs, looking for new hosts, now they are no longer seen blobbing.... he is "treating" every 3 or 4 days.

This info is originally from a proper grow guru who knows exactly what he is doing, not a f'kwit....
I'd like to know more about that.Co2 fire ext.??Does it not have some sort of powdered fire retardant or something or is the co2 the retardant??Am I Retardant?? nuggler

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
I don't know why I sometimes don't just look around for myself before hastily asking questions but if anyone wants to see a link to co2 fire extinguishers and how they work..www.fire-extinguisher101.com

Si Senor, it is the Gas ones... CO2.

joking aside, I guess you would want vents full on, as CO2 above 1500ppm starts getting toxic quick IIRC, but this method does work, I am reliably assured, no matter how whacko it sounds....

blinx420

I tried alot of things even floramite but they're still alive I dont think this are typical spider smites

I had gotten a cat off craigslist few weeks before I started growing and it was infested with what I think are ear mites they dont bite but you can feel them crawling all over your body it's so frustrating not being able to get rid off them anyone ever dealt with something similar??

I know it was the cat because when I held him they immediately started crawling all on me I got rid of the cat but he infested the whole house and nothing works to exterminate them except antibiotic soap but it's impossible to kill them all and they just return:wallbash:

onegreenday

Veteran
could be cat fleas and they r as bad as the borg
you'll have to spray the house to get rid of them if it's fleas
go to a pest exterminator

Danknuggler

OK I started out with a DR DOOM fogger. Then I shut off everything for 24 hrs and hung a HOT SHOT NO PEST. Tonight I shopvac'd a ton of webbing off boy was that a nightmare as my shopvac was sucking big colas and various nugs right into the hose accidentally it was real hard to keep this from happening too but in the end it worked ok.I ordered a .5 oz of Flolamite for 17.99 and a 8 oz. of Stirrup M for 31.99 they should be here by tuesday.I'll do the deed with those as soon as I get em and report back.Man I hate this. nuggler

Z

Zeinth

kill all mites..

kill all mites..

2 gallon hudson sprayer..loaded with spinosad...full pump...spray everything...repeat...2 days later...then 2 days later...or use sm90..same process..it is emperitive that the plant is sprayed with a full discharge on high.

then wait an watch...:2cents:

Danknuggler

got my floramite .5 oz monday (ordered it saturday afternoon, vey fast!) and the 8 oz. of stirrup m just arrived this morning.I'm scared to spray my plants now that I'm 42 days into flower.I really hope the trick Alwayslearning recommended a few post back works we'll see. I am gonna spray everything in the room except not directly on the plants also and see if that helps too.