What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spider mites AKA The Borg

rafe

mites

mites

Thanks Sokxy thats a good tip. The little shits are a real pain. Thanks to everyone that has written! This is a great site.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
We "tried" D.E.
we made a paste, painted he sides of the water farms, brushed the leaves, put petro jelly on the stem, used safer soap, the oils, hot pepper/tobacco mix/etc/etc.. bombed the rooms 3 times prior to startup, sprayed the room with dormant oils... nothing killed those little bastards.... until...

F L O R A M I T E

we now spray the room before startup, the plants at about 2 weeks in veg, again 2 weeks later, and our final spray is 2 weeks later, which is usually the 1st or 2nd week of 12/12..

mite problem... what mite problem...:joint::joint:

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
be careful with ed rosenthals zero tolerance, it browned a lot of leaves on my more sensitive plants. Maybe I should of diluted but I was tryna kill them lil bugs once and for all...

rafe

Floramite

Floramite

Crap!!! that stuff is over $250 for 32oz. Do you know where it can be bought cheaper?

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
yep.. thats the cost... and it will last lifetime (s)...

others have said it is sometimes available in 1oz bottles on ebay...

stretchpup

floramite, avid, or azatrol. wiping off each leaf top and bottom by hand, with a moist floramite paper towel. :) i used floramite and think it's like magic bug killing juice.

none of the natural shit works, been there done that, maybe if you're battling a single mite.

get 3-4 guys together and split the cost/bottle.

spraying anything onto your plants 6 weeks into flower is fuggin disgusting, by the way.

onegreenday

Veteran
predator mites

predator mites

it's possible to establish a garden of beneficial predator mites and never have to do any wiping, spraying or anything else. save your money.

Predator mites are $25. plus shipping. Once established they'll e:joint:at those nasty spider mites if they are around.

You just have to provide some other pollen/flowering plants for them to live on when there's no spider mites around. That way they'll survive and occupy your garden as defenders.

this is spelled out at the insect company where you buy them.

N. fallacis (Neoseilus=Amblyseius fallacis) is one predator mite
that works on spider mites.

THC123

Veteran
Well i tried predatory mites and oruis spent lots of money and it didn't do shit indoors. I bought 2 packs

In the greenouse they work just fine , but indoors they won't go in the upper layer cuz i think it's too hot there.

And in the upper layer is where the nice buds are.

It's a shame though as i don't like spraying stuff on my plants , even in veg state(and flowering stage spraying is totally out of the question)

onegreenday

Veteran
Well i tried predatory mites and oruis spent lots of money and it didn't do shit indoors. I bought 2 packs

In the greenouse they work just fine , but indoors they won't go in the upper layer cuz i think it's too hot there.

And in the upper layer is where the nice buds are.

It's a shame though as i don't like spraying stuff on my plants , even in veg state(and flowering stage spraying is totally out of the question)

thanks for the feedback.

i'll talk to some suppliers and get some imput for indoor gardens.

heat should not be an issue if the grow room is at decent temps.
maybe light intensity but they work in direct sun in greenhouses.

you might have got a bad batch. i'm surprised they did not work.

it takes some time for them to work. they just don't go in and wipe out
a major spider mite problem.

they have to establish in the garden and reproduce to get their numbers up to "attack force levels" to wipe out the spider mites.

they will go to work right away but they must reproduce also and the other plants are helpful to establish their numbers.

soxy

I was also told by my gardening guru not to bother with pred. mites for spider mites. Spider mites can do a lot of damage before the pred. mites take hold and you have to keep using the stuff. I spray my plants with Einstein Oil at the first site of them and spray my plants with water at every watering (once a week) after. My grow box has good ventilation and fans. The moisture doesnt stay long and havent had any mold problems.

THC123

Veteran
I bought 2 pack of them , they stayed in my tent for 7 weeks.

And the spider mite infestation kept on becoming worse.

It was about 26-27 degrees in my tent(celsius)

D

deathtosoapbar

chilli boiled and diluted with a touch off black pepper seems to do the job in veg...but in flowering its not the best thing to spray on...was wondering does anyone know of a plant that is more attractive to spidermites than cannabis?...that way hopefully they would all move onto that plant and then it could be moved out of the grow room with most of the mites on

FORBID!!!
fuck everything else-this shit kills them, not coming back type kills them......tell your local hydroshop they HAVE to carry this stuff in smaller broken down amounts. because the junk is expensive...Get it-spray it in the first day or two of flowering-and you WILL not have mites-unless your growing some 10+ week, then there is no guarentees....I'm amazed by this stuff. The End All.

onegreenday

Veteran
I was also told by my gardening guru not to bother with pred. mites for spider mites. Spider mites can do a lot of damage before the pred. mites take hold and you have to keep using the stuff. I spray my plants with Einstein Oil at the first site of them and spray my plants with water at every watering (once a week) after. My grow box has good ventilation and fans. The moisture doesnt stay long and havent had any mold problems.

here's a link to a good PDF on IPM management

using benefical insects on tomatoes

http://www.appliedbio-nomics.com/technical-manual/410-tomato.pdf

dragunn

i like to use NO MESS HOT SHOT fogger between grows.you can buy it at home depot.its cheaper than dr doom and works just as well for me.i use HOT SHOT pest strips durings growing,putting a fresh strip in every two months(even though they say they are good for four months).i still leave the old strip in the room.so far so good.

i use to run the vent fan though the carbon filter 24/7 to keep the smell in check.now i shut the fan off for an hour at 4am(no people around) to let the no pest strips work more efficiently.

hdn155

Pred. mites are very good. i combine them with azamax. This is my strategy that is working excellent so far...

1.Dip the entire plant upside down in azamax mixed with water. i also soil drench with azamax mixed in with my watering/feeding.
2. Release one vial of pred. mites once a week.
3. Re-dip plants in azamax every 3 days as it only affects the adults not the eggs.

I was concerned about the azamax hurting the pred. mites but it does not seem to effect them. im sure when i soak the plants some pred. mites fall off but my strategy seems to be working excellent so far.

K Double O

What type of decrease in yield should I expect after getting hit with a bad case of the borg?

Well that depends how early in flower you catch them. I transported some infect clones into my flower room and it took a couple weeks before I noticed them. They spread like wild fire.

I used a light wash. I bleached the entire flower room from top to bottom completely cleaning it. Then I got some HOT SHOT NO PEST STRIPS and let sit for about a month. Never seen em' again.

After the battle was over the plants responded extremely slow. They did pick up somewhat towards the end. The yield was still considerably below average.

Weedninja

K Double O said:
After the battle was over the plants responded extremely slow. They did pick up somewhat towards the end. The yield was still considerably below average.
And the stuff that you do get will snap crackle and pop.

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
"That Stuff spidermite Destroyer" from Portland Oregon, a shop called American Agriculture on Stark st. and Evergreen Garden Supply on Sandy Blvd. both have the "That Stuff" products.

This stuff actually works, no fucking around with toxic Hot Shot strips, two blasts and they're gone, after 18 yrs of chemical warfare

If you're wondering how a guy in England knows about it, I actually have friends who send me stuff ... thanks guys

BTW I have no link for the product