What's new

Spider mites AKA The Borg

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but what about just opening a CO2 valve, raising the levels to 10,000 ppm for a night cycle or sometime with no extraction. Then suck it out in the morning after everyone has suffocated? And once every few days for prevention. And try not to die while you're at it.

asstastic

mites and my seedlings my seeds are popping out the soil today and i noticed mites in the soil
whats best transplant seedlings
treat soil
or plant new seeds

P.S. I would like to precise that SMC has a strange effect on leafs, seems a reaction to high lumens and the oil applied ....

I don't know if someone is still interest but I probably solved that mistery, and I would like to share with you..
I got the chance to meet the guys from "Growth technology", producers of "SMC" Spidermite control and also "Clonex" in the Spannabis 2010.. They told me that this is quite normal , you should apply it during night time , wait 8 hours, then wash the leafs with plain water....$%£)I
What? WTF?
And me: "Where is that written?" They "Emhh"..
Ok, at least now less growers will fail..
Bye

mites and my seedlings my seeds are popping out the soil today and i noticed mites in the soil
whats best transplant seedlings
treat soil
or plant new seeds

Those are soil mites not spider mites. There's lots of different bugs that live in the soil. Most of them will not affect your plants.

jimbo99

can you tell me more about these soil mites. I think that might be what i have. I have these tiny little white, almost translucent spiders but theyre not doing any damage to the plants and i rarely even see them on the plants. However, i do see them in the soil and around the lips of the pots.

http://wiki.bugwood.org/Predatory_soil-dwelling_mites They could be any kind of soil mite, there are thousands of species of soil mite. If you've had them for a while and they aren't messing up your crop, don't worry about it. The only common thing that looks anything like a mite in soil is root aphids. If you get root aphids you can do a soil drench with azamax, but probably you should just shut down for a month or two.

bud lover

i noticed speckling on a couple of my leaves after close inspection i noticed the little f^%$%*s but it seemed they hadnt spread i could only see them on 1 plant, i was almost 3weeks into flower so took a trip to my local grow shop. i was advised on predators i got a thousand for £20 just over 100 per plant (i was told rule of thumb is 25per plant) i put them in on thursday last week.
i had a good look round today and so far so good seems clear for the time being the predators i got were phytoseiulus persimilis i would recomend these for anyone in flower or wanting to avoid chemicals.

i noticed speckling on a couple of my leaves after close inspection i noticed the little f^%$%*s but it seemed they hadnt spread i could only see them on 1 plant, i was almost 3weeks into flower so took a trip to my local grow shop. i was advised on predators i got a thousand for £20 just over 100 per plant (i was told rule of thumb is 25per plant) i put them in on thursday last week.
i had a good look round today and so far so good seems clear for the time being the predators i got were phytoseiulus persimilis i would recomend these for anyone in flower or wanting to avoid chemicals.

If you actually had spider mites then this will not eradicate them. If you get your humidity above 80% then they might do the trick. It will also probably cause powdery mildew and bud rot. Just my opinion after trying to use them in the past.

bud lover

If you actually had spider mites then this will not eradicate them. If you get your humidity above 80% then they might do the trick. It will also probably cause powdery mildew and bud rot. Just my opinion after trying to use them in the past.

the info sheet that came with them reckons that they eat upto 5 adult mites a day or upto 25 lavea.
i got a couple of the mites stuck to some tape and took them with me to the shop the guy there reckoned they were spotted spider mites.
like i said i caught them before they got themselves well established so im hoping for the best but thanks for your advice skoobie im new to all this

If you can, keep an eye on your plants daily. Look for little white specks. Wherever you see a little white speck, look on the underpart of the same leaf. If you see little white dots, those are spidermite eggs. If you see your plants getting more specks then the preditors aren't doing the job well & it's time to start spraying your plants with neem, garlic oil, asatrol/max, permetherin foggers ect....

By the time you see webs on buds it's usually too late.

I hope you caught them soon enough too.
Good luck

bud lover

If you can, keep an eye on your plants daily. Look for little white specks. Wherever you see a little white speck, look on the underpart of the same leaf. If you see little white dots, those are spidermite eggs. If you see your plants getting more specks then the preditors aren't doing the job well & it's time to start spraying your plants with neem, garlic oil, asatrol/max, permetherin foggers ect....

By the time you see webs on buds it's usually too late.

I hope you caught them soon enough too.
Good luck

yeah skoobie thats what i have been doing checking daily and so far like i said the infestation doesn't seem to have got chance to take hold theres no signs of webs anywhere in my tent and so far theres been no more specks other than before the predators were introduced, ive only got about another 4 weeks left before harvest so im praying the predators hold out till then. and once again thanks for sharing your knowledge with me

bobbymcghee

icon9.gif
bugs on my buds days before harvest> what to do safely?
brother bob is slowly sinking into a depression help

get some predator mites or something that will eat them. get a lot and go for it. when you harvest, get EVERYTHING out of the room, and sterilize the walls, floor, gear, etc. then do NOT recycle any soil, if you're growing in soil. Stock up on predators in advance of your next flowering cycle and keep your room stocked with them.

if you're days before harvest, maybe you should just go ahead and harvest right this second and be done.

the trick to getting rid of these things is that once you have them, you have to keep something around that will eat them, you have to really get your room clean each harvest and stay on top of it.

i feel for you, i've been through this and it hurts, it really hurts. i NEVER want to do soil again b/c i'm deathly afraid of dealing with this stuff again.

good luck!

bobbymcghee

bugs

bugs

i
icon9.gif
f i chop chop now will the bugs keep living in the dry rm.??
help please respond to my request by name so i can tell you are talking to me brother bob thank you!!

I was talking to you, bobbymcghee. How close are you? How done do they look? And I think you're going to have to do something anyhow to get those bugs away. I will ask my husband what to do to keep them from eating up your plant.

Can you get some predator mites overnighted to you?

Well chopping them could stop it, b/c the mites like a living plant. But it may not. There is a reason everyone refers to the spider mites as the BORG. They are bad, bad, bad. I REALLY feel for you.

I don't have enough information to say whether you should chop right now or not. It depends on how far you are from harvest.

Also, I don't know if you're growing soil.

If you are, the mites could be on your veg plants, or on flowering plants that aren't done yet. That was part of our problem in our last soil grow. Different strains coming down at different times meant that there were always plants in flowering and it made it impossible to really clean and wait for all the mites to die. Our buddy wasn't systematic about keeping predators around to kill anything. We had a little of everything over the course of the grow, spider mites, aphids, thrips. BLAH!

If it were me, and I were within a few days of harvest, I'd probably harvest and take the plants to my dry room and then keep an eye on them closely. I'd go ahead and order lots of predators for my mother room and I'd sterilize my flowering room. I"d dump all soil in the house (if you're growing soil) and start fresh. And when I put plants in flowering again, I would wait until I had predators. I'd order predators at regular intervals, too. vigilance is the key.

Good luck! I really feel for you!