What's new

Spam Bot Countermeasures

G

Gauss

With all the crazy spam pretty much every other day I think it would be a good idea to close registration and only open it on a schedule of once every six months or so. It would keep people toeing the line and eliminate them creating alternate accounts as well. I think it's a solid bet that the wave of new heads with no manners and the spambots are just going to get worse in the future as cannabis laws are relaxed the world over.

Let's hear any other ideas to weed this crap out, I'm open to other ideas if anyone else has good ones. I really just would really like to keep this pedo spam crap out of our community.

Headbandf1

Bent Member
Veteran
Drink a Magnetic Liquid Beer, then piss on their head?

[YOUTUBEIF]EAMhNA_k7UM[/YOUTUBEIF]

Attachments

• screen-shot-2019-07-25-at-6-05-20-pm-1564092329.jpg
    screen-shot-2019-07-25-at-6-05-20-pm-1564092329.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 27

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
The forum software is probably just too old and unable to be updated. Or maybe they need to install a captcha thing.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Relax, bots are known issue. Once they fix whatever hole it's exploiting, we'll be safe from automated bot spam again. :)

G

Gauss

The hole is probably that it's using an IP randomizer, which is not something you can patch at all.

CAPTCHA would go a long way, good idea. Email verification would be good on top of that as well, not sure if we have that already though.

Last edited:

WelderDan

Veteran
With all the crazy spam pretty much every other day I think it would be a good idea to close registration and only open it on a schedule of once every six months or so. It would keep people toeing the line and eliminate them creating alternate accounts as well. I think it's a solid bet that the wave of new heads with no manners and the spambots are just going to get worse in the future as cannabis laws are relaxed the world over.

Let's hear any other ideas to weed this crap out, I'm open to other ideas if anyone else has good ones. I really just would really like to keep this pedo spam crap out of our community.

The biggest issue I see with that is legit people that want to join will get turned off by having to wait so long and go elsewhere. Maybe a 3 - 5 day wait period (with an explanation why there is a wait period) would be a compromise

I do tech support and we use a CAPTCHA process for weeding out the bots. Hell it prevents some legit people from registering because they aren't too sharp at picking out pictures of a bus or a storefront. :biggrin:

It won't stop people that are just being a jackass, but it will weed out the bots.

Since our current annoyance is turbo posting, maybe locking out any user that makes more than 10 posts within so many minutes, and then
they have to request the account be unlocked by a moderator. If they are legit they get unlocked, if not, buh-bye.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The biggest issue I see with that is legit people that want to join will get turned off by having to wait so long and go elsewhere. Maybe a 3 - 5 day wait period (with an explanation why there is a wait period) would be a compromise

I do tech support and we use a CAPTCHA process for weeding out the bots. Hell it prevents some legit people from registering because they aren't too sharp at picking out pictures of a bus or a storefront. :biggrin:

It won't stop people that are just being a jackass, but it will weed out the bots.

Since our current annoyance is turbo posting, maybe locking out any user that makes more than 10 posts within so many minutes, and then
they have to request the account be unlocked by a moderator. If they are legit they get unlocked, if not, buh-bye.

That seems like a good idea.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This guy is an old member here since like 2010 - maybe even earlier. Suffered some sort of mental collapse and now spends his days spun out trolling weed sites. He used to be on other boards as well. Used to post some REALLY nice outdoor Cali grows.

Troll yes. But more so a broken person. It's sad really. Aside from being intensely annoying.

dank.Frank

G

Gauss

Yea, the only benefit to closed reg I see is that it would weed out the people who actually want to be here from the people who just want to be here to throw shade. I ran a phpBB forum for awhile and did closed registration, had a great thing going because people were more accountable for their posts and interactions with one another when they couldn't just rejoin with a new IP. I figure we can get two birds stoned at once that way, but I agree your ideas are better all things considered.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
fwiw - the issue is the same as before with why the site is having problems. The site needs a few techs to update the coding and such. There are ways, even with this forum software, to ban via Device Manufacture ID. That would solve the problem, but storing such data is a huge security risk for all members.

They are trying to come up with a solution though. It's not just driving us mad. Imagine how the mods feel constantly playing clean up...

dank.Frank

Gry

Veteran
This guy is an old member here since like 2010 - maybe even earlier. Suffered some sort of mental collapse and now spends his days spun out trolling weed sites. He used to be on other boards as well. Used to post some REALLY nice outdoor Cali grows.

Troll yes. But more so a broken person. It's sad really. Aside from being intensely annoying.

dank.Frank
!

WelderDan

Veteran
fwiw - the issue is the same as before with why the site is having problems. The site needs a few techs to update the coding and such. There are ways, even with this forum software, to ban via Device Manufacture ID. That would solve the problem, but storing such data is a huge security risk for all members.

They are trying to come up with a solution though. It's not just driving us mad. Imagine how the mods feel constantly playing clean up...

dank.Frank

It boils down to money and manpower. Didn't we used to do Server Fund donations? Maybe we can arrange for some charity auctions or something to raise a little cash to fund the necessary updates. Maybe get some of the Vendors and other supporters to chip in some beans for auction. Set up a way for members to donate a little cash. I would be willing to cough up a few bucks if it meant we didn't have to suffer this nonsense.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just use the report post button in the lower left hand corner of the post,they go away pretty quickly once bought to the mods attention

G

Gauss

A fundraiser would be great. I know I'd buy seeds for that cause. I have to admit I like the old school feeling a lot, but the site could use some quality of life upgrades across the line.