What's new

SourDiesel IBL - SourPheno

titoon29

Travelling Cannagrapher Penguin !
Veteran
hey all thanks for shiming in !

so bob, i was thinking you would nt like the riri cut, too much of this earthy kushy taste... and this clone is way different from the ecsd or even more from the nycd.. i like the nycd mandarina more, but who does not ?

amc98, like you said, some people really hate that smell and taste, i have some friends who could not smoke it either...

el rubio, great to see you there mate, and glad you got this clone.. i ll hope you enjoy it, especially that strong high...

anybody does think that this riri cut have this almost pure kush smell and taste ? of course it s a bit different from one to another grower, but that how i would describe it...

i ll keep you updated on the cross..

+++

REZDOG

Veteran
Hi IC friends

Some pics of the "riri cut" , i grew it in soil/coco and i have to admit that this really less impressive, the calyxes didn't explode popcornising like my 3 others SD in Coir 4-5 pages before ...

But even if i will have less, i am sure it will be some delicious nuggets :joint:

I am so much hasty to find back the sour-citrus-fuel-lavender taste 3 dayz after the cut :bigeye:

I am rinsing her since 21 dayz and i'll cut her tomorrow to +86 :woohoo:

p1150845.jpg

p1150834.jpg

p1150836.jpg

It is funny how a phenotype can adapt itself to an environement and do the opposite if you change a parameter...

The shape of flowers are more compact, really dense, a little more leaves (cuz of the soil), it looks more to an og bud than a sour bud, what's your opinion about that guyz ? (there are some common parents 91chemdawg isnt it ?)

Full Vibes to you :canabis:

++

Loco

:twothumbsUP:

Bi0hazard

Veteran
I tried this riri cut yesterday for the first time, indoor-grown, and i think it was already curing for a few months...

very intense sour-skunky (without the perfumed, fruity side of the skunk) taste, lovely, but i would like it to be more lemon and less earthy, maybe i have to try it a little fresher... but anyways i can still tell what i'm telling for years: i like the nyc diesel better tastewise ;)

There are many different Sour Diesel and Chemdawg expressions as far as smell and taste are concerned, even if they are little nuances. There are some that have a great lemon flavor, especially in the chemdawg and chem91/OG Kush arena. If you really enjoy the high of Sour Diesel like I do, you may want to try some of the other tasting sour diesel pheno's. The Og Kushes such as the Larry or Tahoe cut should provide a strong lemon kick. =]

Also, I'm pretty sure it's even stated on Soma's website that the New York City Diesel is [Mexican Sativa X Afghani] and is not related to Chemdawg or Mass Super Skunk like the Sour Diesel IBL. Unless you meant East Coast Sour Diesel, which is a V3 of SD; the release prior to the first IBL line, if I remember correctly.

Just wanted to give people a little heads up that ECSD/Sour Diesel and NYCD have no shared genetic background.

titoon29

Veteran
There are many different Sour Diesel and Chemdawg expressions as far as smell and taste as concerned, even if they are little nuances. There are some that have a great lemon flavor, especially in the chemdawg and chem91/OG Kush arena. If you really enjoy the high of Sour Diesel like I do, you may want to try some of the other tasting sour diesel pheno's. Any Sour Diesel x Og Kush such as the Larry or Tahoe cut should provide a strong lemon kick. =]

Also, I'm pretty sure it's even stated on Soma's website that the New York City Diesel is [Mexican Sativa X Afghani] and is not related to Chemdawg or Mass Super Skunk like the Sour Diesel IBL. Unless you meant East Coast Sour Diesel, which is a V3 of SD; the release prior to the first IBL line, if I remember correctly.

Just wanted to give people a little heads up that ECSD/Sour Diesel and NYCD have no shared genetic background.

hey biO !

thanks for posting, very interesting point you are rising here.
I've been smoking and growing the riri, the ecsd, one french nycd phenotype, and smoking the nycd mandarina and few others.
also i ve smoked few mexicans buds, two chemdog, and few different Kushs buds (og, bubba), from growers.

From what i ve found nycd and sour diesel, are, like you said, very different. comparing them is not really possible. but i ld say like bob, i really prefer the nycd in taste, but the sd for potency, generally.

i ve talked a lot about my theory of the SD riri being very kushy with bob, but i have yet nobody that actually did confirm that. i really found it has a lot in common with the bubba, the og, the x18 i ve smoked. but i guess it depends a lot on the grower too...

my SD x destroyer are at 6 weeks and a half of flowering. They stretch more than the SD riri, between 1m40 and 1m60. The interesting part is i do have one phenotype that smell exactly like the riri, and two which have inherited of half of the smell, combined with some powerfull sweet/spicy one.

the two last one does not smell that strong yet, and they are the slowest, so probably more on the destroyer side.

The buds shape on three "quick SD Dest" reminds me a lot of the SD, same color(light green), heavy resin production, this kind of cotton candy look, but it has normal sized calyxes at the moment.

I expect a lot bigger yield than the original Sd riri, but the stretch is way bigger too. My favorite is not the SD smelling one, but rather the SD mixed with sweet, it's really lovely.

I still have no hermie on this one; but found a few starting seeds in the plants. don t know where it comes from, maybe my nigerian that hermied, but it should be very few seeds.
SD cross with no hermie sounds interesting.

picts very soon ! i ve taken a lot of them, needs to be transfered now.

+++

Bi0hazard

Veteran
titoon29,

Right on.

OG Kush is supposedly a very special Chemdawg '91 bx.
Sour Diesel is [Chemdawg 91 x Mass Super Skunk/NL x DNL]

They both have a strong pronounced Chemdawg lineage, which is why I also associate the tastes of OG Kush and Sour Diesel together. Although, they are different in some ways. Even different than the Tres Dawg and other Chem D x Chem 91 crosses I've tried, which have a more straight Chem funk to them. And also, I do find similarities between the taste of some Bubba Kush's and SD or OG. Bubba Kush was supposedly derived from a rare Bubble Gum pheno, same with Sour Bubble.

Since the lineage of Chemdawg is unknown, I wonder if it has something to do with the rare BubbleGum pheno that lead to Bubba Kush. But this last part is just speculation. =]

PS: How is the Nigerian. I have heard amazing things about it. I got 3 beans of Nigerian Silk from a friend who knows JJ-NYC of Top Dawg seeds. Curious how phenomenal they are, my friend was talking them up a lot.

titoon29

Veteran
Hey biohazard,

yes i ve been diging in the sour diesel line a while a go, thanks for brining the memories back ! as you seem to know your stuff about kush/diesel, how would you say sour taste is different than kush. i still have not well understood this part, for me the sour side of the diesel is actually the kushy one. but i maybe mistaking.

about the nigerian, i have no idea since this is my first grow of her. my friend who collected the seeds told me it s a pretty nice high, long duration, typical of the long flowering sativas. it is a bit more powerfull than the sativa he experienced in the carribean. problem is he gets it as bricks, so not cured well, full of seeds and leaves. we need to see how it ends up indoor...

For those who didn t see my grow thread, here some SourDiesel Riri x Destroyer
picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

the sour diesel gives to the cross a very intense resin production and smell, which are by far the characteristics i was looking forward too. i may even be ending up prefering those to the riri, the smell is more sweety... i m in love with it !

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

amc98

Nice shots titoon!!

Must say that the riri cut really reminds me of the bubba kush cut, of course I find differences, but both share this strong smell and common undertones.

Got some hydro SD flowering indoors right now, first week, will post some pics!!

Saludos!!!

titoon29

Veteran
Nice shots titoon!!

Must say that the riri cut really reminds me of the bubba kush cut, of course I find differences, but both share this strong smell and common undertones.

Got some hydro SD flowering indoors right now, first week, will post some pics!!

Saludos!!!

thanks mate !

I'm really thankful for you to post about the kush/sd riri similarities, cause i was not sure it was my imagination (never had kush/diesel at the same time, but i ve grown and smoked a lot of this riri ( at least 150g i guess), and smoked a lot of kushs...

it makes me wonder like in my post before, what is the "SOUR" stands for ? i think i thought it was kush all along, but now i m not sure.

I'ld love to see some picts of your riri mate !

about my sd destroyer, the more it goes, the more i m really amazed by this one. There is one that now smell exactly like the riri, powerfull, earthy, you know what i mean. yes, perfectly !

but the fruity riri is def my beloved one, i ld eat some every time i smell it. so pungent !
That s too bad i didn t kept clones, a friend of mine should have, but there are still some seeds, and as far as i ve seen it, it s not really hard to find a keeper.

Best part is that i m expecting huge yield !

keep on the SD growing mates :)

+++

Bi0hazard

Veteran
titoon29,

I'm pretty sure the lineage of Sour Diesel is well documented at this point. Sour Diesel is [Chemdawg 91 x Mass Super Skunk/NL x DNL] - Where the Sour related to the amazing sour taste of SD.

It was accidentally created by a friend of Chemdawg known as "AJ".

I think the interesting question is: Does the Chemdawg lineage, especially Chemdawg 91 come from the same secret and unknown background as Bubba Kush?
I always tasted the similarities between OG Kush, Sour Diesel, and Bubba Kush. Supposedly Bubba Kush is a rare Oregon Bubble Gum pheno, that was also used in sour bubble.

Has anyone else had similar experiences in taste and smell with SD and some Bubba Kush's?

titoon29

Veteran
hey bio,

yes i totally agree on the lineage (you posted it on the top of this page :) )

but what is the sour smell, i would you describe it ? because i find two main smells in the sd i ve smoked : kush and diesel, with some floral undertones. but kush does not mean sour, does it ?

I smoked a few bubba kush pre 98, indoor, outdoor, the og kush from greenhouse, x18(pure paki, very kushy), powerkush. also smoked chemdog 4 i think, and chemdog from greenhouse also. It was related to the SD, no doubt, but also i'm sure to a kush. the chemdog 4 being a bit more sweet.

For me kush is no secret lineage, just come from some old school kush (masterkush for example..) which is if i m not mistaking afghani landraces.

so yes, i ld say SD and bubba are alike, amc98 did it just two posts ago to. Also to mention that the riri phenotype is less fruity/diesel and way more kushy than the ecsd, for those who haven t read this lonngggg thread !

thanks for posting bio !

Bi0hazard

Veteran
titoon29,

First off, sorry for any possible small misunderstandings =] Thanks for clearing up, what you meant by what is the sour in SD.

Ya, I don't know if sour always means kush.

I'm impressed by your first hand experience with all the different types, I'm sure we have a lot to learn from you about all the subtleties. Just curious if you have seen other strains with Kush in the name which do not have Afghani at all or at least a pure Afghani lineage. There are big cases where the word Kush has been thrown around in relation to non-Afghani genetics or unknown genetics. OG Kush for example, has no Kush genetics and is a Chemdawg 91 bx.

According to Jason King and the Cannabible, Bubba Kush was a rare cut from the Indiana Bubble Gum project, I guess hence the Bubb(le) - but again Kush is thrown in the mix just like with OG Kush. However I'm not sure how absolutely accurate King's information is and whether it was assumed to be BubbleGum given the Bubb name. I still feel that Bubba Kush has some genetics connect to Chemdawg, or Chem's unknown lineage from its parent plants.

This light bulb has been going off in my head for a while now.

Best Regards,

Bi0hazard

titoon29

Veteran
No worries mate, english is not my native language so i have some trouble expressing myself ! and it s even harder when i m heavily high :)

well i ve been smoking a lot and growing for 5 years now, and i have a great interest in smell and taste! i ve been trying to smoke every strain there is around, been travelling too, and cannapartying a lot :) as i have usually high tolerance, i can always focus on taste and smell, and most important remember ! I ve also studied a bit the wine tasting, but i m by far better with herb ;-)

Well about all those kushs around, i think i never had any non afghani genetics which would smell like that.

but that could also be because afghani are just everywhere ! nl, skunk, kush, some haze (not pure obviously, got to be carefull with what i put after haze those days, LOL^^)...
i remember growing some white rhino which has a bit of the kush, some skunk derivated genetics too.

Well kush has no kush genes, it has some chemdog, didn't know that ! so i ld guess chemdog have kush/afghani genes... but funny i ld say there are a bit hidden in the chemdog. by what i m not sure, hard to put in word, it was a year ago, even if i still remember it. could have been a fake too it was from greenhouse. but the chem 4 was from a grower so real. and very nice, i remember it like some sweet cotton candy sour diesel.

My kush = afghani guess really occurs to me when i smoked some X18 in amsterdam, which is supposed to be pure paki. it was really close to that sour diesel riri, while being more couchlock, very dense indica buds.

the bubba i didn t know it was from bubble gum genes. bubble gum has a lot of skunk in it if i m correct, which contains also some afghani at some point. so i ld not surprised it just popped up, like the og from the chemdog. maybe those kush genes are really powerfull when they express themselves... but i m not following the hype on this one, it's tasty but maybe too much (like the riri sometimes), slow yielder, and i ve smoked some comparable kushs from seeds. (powerkush - dinafem)...

hope it helps..anybody feel free to comment, or tell me i m wrong !!! cause i m making a lot of assumptions...

got to study for my exam tomorrow, in 7 hours...

++

J

JeffSpicoli

Bubba to me just seems like it comes from an afghani / paki
some indica from the middle east

Locoporro

Hey amigo tittoon

I will give my opinion

To me ... it seems that my idea is more close to the idea of sideshow bob...

very intense sour-skunky (without the perfumed, fruity side of the skunk) taste, lovely, but i would like it to be more lemon and less earthy, maybe i have to try it a little fresher...
To me this is the perfect description of SD "riri" by someone who didnt grow it , Sd riri& Uk cheese have exactly the same taste when they are fresh .... + some differents hints

When you light a joint of fresh UK cheese or SD riri , there is the same background taste , really sour (acide pour nous ?) which comes from the skunk side ...to me

Except if this taste come from the aghani side in the "cheese" cuz the exodus cheese leans to this Kushy-side......but there are several fruity hints in the cheese + this sour taste

And in the "riri" there is this "dieselish" taste + the sour taste ...

If i'm not wrong there is also a massachussets super skunk in the diesel genetics ... :dance013:

I am sure sideshow bob that you will love some fresh "riri" cuz the lemon taste is tenflod when it's fresh...

For the comparison between Nycd and SD, i have to say that for me , those are 2 differentes strains ... i dont even know if soma really used a original diesel to make this strain ...

As tittoon , i prefer the taste of nycd but the high of the "riri" tough the high of Nycd soma cut is really pleasant , well high...

To me , a bubba with smells like moka, coffee, earthy , this is more the kushy side ... IMO

I dont even believe that the bubba kush is something else than a pure kush really hyped .... i dont really see the connection between it and chemdawg, chemdog ...SD

Even when i see the bogbubble or sourbubble, i cant change my mind that this is pure kush genetics and there is no sour or bubble into them ... (i mean , look at the flowertime of those strains )

To you, tittoon ,the afghani of gen&tik is kushy ?????????

Ps: i was also a lil disapointed when amc said that the SD cut didnt have the same taste outdoor in Spain , i was waiting for some SD trees ; Too Bad .... at least , it stays a great indoor strain ...

Best vibes Alll

Great discussion

Bi0hazard

Veteran
titoon29,

Nice info. You might be on to something with the afghani in the chemdog genetics. JJ-NYC of Top Dawg seeds who has done the most extensive work with the chemdog line. Tresdawg, double dawg, 2x underdawg etc.. Almost all of them have a chemdawg back-crossed with an Afghani at some point in the lineage. Also when Rez went about making the SD seed line, he crossed the original sour diesel cut with an afghani as well. You could be right on about this.

Locoporro,

Thanks for sharing your exposure with the strains. I think you have a good point and case about the bubba not having chemdawg. You are right they are very short flowering times and they did grow almost absolutely identical in structure to SourBubble and La Confidential.

amc98

Hi folks!!

It is very difficult for me making a comparision between the SD and the Kush taste. Let me explain myself: most of the kush varieties I´ve smoked were fruity, reminding oranges, apricots, etc.
It was when I first smoked the Bubba kush (a few months ago) when I said: so that´s the kush flavour that I always read everywhere of!!

For me the fresh taste of the riri has no similarities with the Bubba kush. But when I think about a 5 months cured riri hydro bud...I do find some common aroma. Don´t think I´m saying they are the same!!;) Both varieties are very unique, you know that you´re smoking them if someone passes you a joint, no words needed.

Locoporro, when I tasted the outdoors riri, it was, like we say in Spain, like a kick in my balls.:D Just couldn´t - and still can´t - explain myself such a difference.

Saludos!!!

Titoon, if it is hard for you finding a keeper of the riri, just pm me. ;)

Braindead#1

Omae wa mo shindeiru
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Got mother of SD riri and ECSD, this years got some bush of riri outside. This plant make some medium buds, very dank and covered with resin, first try with her outside.

For me "riri cut" is not real diesel, got ECSD Outside too and the differents are crazy. Riri is more fruity, really fruity with strong smoke (Very disgusting if you smoke too much riri)...a bit kushy, not my cut of tea, potent for sure, but ECSD is more upper in pure potency (real gasoline smells, so strange the first try you smoke that biatch ^^).....

I agree bag appeal.....amazing, buds.....amazing, taste.....strange, effect....strong.....But not "real" diesel too me

ElRubio

Veteran
Hey friends:
for me is just the opposite Braindead. I find the ECSD more related to the Bubba and kushy flavors than the NYCD.
I feel more gas-diesel, fruity flavors on the Mandarina (NYCD) than the ECSD. Im growing the riri right now, and i hope can say something in a few weeks...

Nice discussion anyway. thank you all!!
all the best!

Bi0hazard

Veteran
ElRubio,

Interesting input. I think this hints towards the chemdawg (or more likely one of the parents of the it's unknown lineage) possibly being in the mix. Since again, the NYCD is Mexican Sativa x Afghani (Indica: 40% Sativa: 60%), which would appear to have more Afghani (kush traits) than OG Kush (Chem91 bx), and most versions of Sour Diesel.

Also, since all Rez's Sour Diesel genetics were crossed with an afghani that could be one of the reasons the traits carried over through out the strains discussed, except for og kush. But since, Top Dawg genetics uses Afghani more than any other strain to stabilize and cross their Chemdawgs as well. It could very easily mean that Chemdog has Afghani/Kush in its genetics (like Titoon29 suggested) and that it is the Rosetta Stone that genetically links these similarities that arise in smell and taste.

Fascinating stuff here... I've been trying to get to the bottom of this for a while.

Latest posts

Latest posts