What's new

Sour 60 - 100% Germ rate - First Grow of Autos

Hey there, just wanted to start a bookmark here and at least give one piece of information people may use until I get this thread a little more further a long. Picked up 2 packs of Sour 60 that arrived last week. 12 seeds in each pack, which was 2 seeds per pack more than advertised. Dropped 18 of them in a glass of water in less-than-ideal temps, somewhere around 68 degrees (ambient room temp). Somewhere between 48 and 72 hours 12 of them had popped, within 96 hours 17 of them popped, and on the 5th day the 18th had popped. 100% germ rate. Had I actually had them somewhere near 80 I'm sure they would have popped sooner.

All are in 1.5ish gallon pots and the earliest are well out of the soil already.

The goal of this initial run is seeds.. The lighting situation is going to be a bit inconsistent but there should be plenty of light..
For the first couple weeks I'll have them under a 1k hps but then that space is going to be unavailable at which point they will be moved to an 8-tube T5 setup. I'm trying to fix an old 600w ballast I have laying around and if it's just the capacitor that needs to be replaced, which I'm almost sure it is, I'll put them under that 600 instead. Depending on how many females I get they will either stay under the T5s or possibly be put outside if there are too many females and I'm still running the T5. If I have the 600 going then I'll be able to keep all of them under that.

Males will be culled after they bust their pollen.

After that is done I'll be testing a bunch of the resulting seeds outside. This season will be a test for the next when it comes to the autos.. We'll be doing a few different planting configurations to see what does the best.

First outdoor configuration -> Planting in typical 3-gallon black nursery pots with custom made organic soil.

2nd : Planting in 2.5 gallon 'treepots' (see image). I just ran across these last week and have dreamed of building something like these myself for years because I've always wanted deep pots that were not wide, making high density SOGs possible while still being able to supply a ton of soil media. Apparently they've been around for at least 3 years and I could never find them. The treepots I'm using will be the the 2.55 gallon version, 7.75 inches wide and 18 inches tall. The reason I'm interested in these outdoors however is for a different reason. Being 18" tall I figure that should keep away any of the low-height critters such as rabbits, coons, rats, mice, moles, voles, midgets, dwarfs, as well as a lot of insects that aren't big climbers.

3rd : Planting in tilled existing soil to see how fertile the land is, which it should be very. It's basically going to be an unfarmed pasture rich with years of composted horse and cow dung, tilled and protected by a fence and all cows moved off that part of the land.

4th : Planting in the tilled soil but with 2-3 gallon holes using custom prepared soil.

That will all hopefully begin around June 15, seed batch completion time being the main determinant of actual start time.

Anyway, that's the story. I'll get some pics of the S60 seedlings in a couple weeks once they look like more than 2 leaves sticking out of some dirt.

BB

Attachments

• TPOT4.jpg
    TPOT4.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

blackone

Veteran
The autos are coming! This year I bet will be the year where autos will be everywhere.
Everybody and their dog will want to have a July-August harvest and we'll be seeing larger grows of them all over the northern hemisphere this summer.
Subscribed ofcourse :)
I'll also be having fun with autos - Pehkuruder and perhaps Diesel Ryder.

Bighill

I just want my S60 to come.. been what... 6 months now? lol

She was going to be the backbone of my summer.. Had to go with Mi5 instead. As i still have no beans in hand.

Looking forward to this one bill, i love larger selctions.

Bh.

uptosumpn

Veteran
subscribed for sure!!!! i orderd mine today,...they will be part of my perpetual stagger crop next, which will consist of Short stuff blue hymilayan deisel, lowryder purple jems, and mdanzig blue streak, <<of course!!!!....jus started growing auto AK47, LR2, Auto ak47 x auto BB and white dwarf fem...Im on day 6

Just a little update. 17 of 18 broke the ground and are anywhere from 1/2" to 1 1/2" tall and looking healthy as can be. The 18th broke out and had the cotyledons pop the shell but somehow never made it out of the soil. I dug down with my finger and found it there. No biggie, part of the game.

Note to self: March 22 is when most came out of the soil.

BB

uptosumpn

Veteran
I JUST READ YOUR FIRST POST AGAIN...DAMM, YOU GOT 12 INSTEAD OF 10??!! WOW, I HOPE I CAN GET THAT MISTAKE, IF IT WAS ONE

Got some pics from today. Which is about day 11 or so since they popped their heads out of the soil. All are going well, with 2 that are stunted from the beginning but seem to be growing bigger every day. The other 14 all look pretty similar. All of them are very healthy. I fed these with a pretty heavy tea mix early on right when they both popped up. ever since I've just been giving them plain water because I originally was thinking that caused the stunting of the first 2. But seeing as the rest of them are kicking ass I doubt that was the case. But I'll still give everything just water for the next week of watering then hit them with another big dose of tea. (seabird guano, high P bat, kelp meal, epsom, occasionally molasses in flower). Other than that the only thing to say is I got another ballast working so these will be spending their lives under a 1k HPS, other than a 2-day period I had to use an 8-bulb T5 while waiting for a new bulb. I see a lot of autos in the threads are under smaller lights, often CFLs so this may help everyone see what a big light can do indoors to AFs.

Peace.

Attachments

• IMG_2178.jpg
    IMG_2178.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2179.jpg
    IMG_2179.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2180.jpg
    IMG_2180.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2181.jpg
    IMG_2181.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 21
Checked the babies out tonight, already have 1 showing very clear balls at 14 days out of the soil.. I thought I was seeing things.. They are devloped enough that they really must have started forming around day 12.. I'll keep track of that one ..I believe I have another with balls forming as well but they're just little ball-looking nubs at this point. Another day or two should tell the story on that one. None with pistils yet. Also of note is the one with balls is in the middle-of-the-range size wise of the whole group.. If anyone for some reason needs to see pictures I can snap some, otherwise I won't bother since it just looks like any other plant with balls, just smaller.

Oh yea, somewhat off the direct subject but may apply to somewhat. I also have a really nice Alpha Diesel male about to bust pollen out for collection.. If one crosses non-AF pollen with AF pollen do you get a blend of AF and NON-AF or all Non-AF? I know nothing about breeding AFs and have no desire to but I was curious since the AD is in the same room and it made the question pop up. Thanks.

12 or so hours later, 4 confirmed males, 1 confirmed female in 15 days from soil-break. 17-18 days from the time the seed was put in a glass of water.