What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sooooo looking forward to the end of Prohibition in the USA

Betterhaff

Veteran
I still like that story about a technician at a government drug testing lab out east that was stealing samples all along…for years. She finally got caught but probably would have got caught sooner if they would have…

wait for it…

drug tested.

Hypocrites.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m opposed to drug testing. They recently had a job fair here for a big hire at a factory, 40% of the people that applied failed the drug test. And many of those people were probably more qualified for the jobs than those who passed. I’m not one for people using at the work place, in most jobs you certainly can’t be drinking on the job. But when I’m off the clock, a few drinks or few puffs should be none of their business, as long as I’m performing the tasks I was hired for.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Employers do mandatory drug testing for insurance purposes.

Under legalization I still don't see that type of regular random drug screenings going away, they are doing it for a reason.if I had to guess what ever you are doing for a job entails some sort of precision or accident prevention.
See, this is the bullshit needing to go away.

Precision you want? You better make sure I'm medicated properly. Accident prevention? Don't make me laugh, I've been working with cannabis in my system for almost 30 years without a lost time accident.

The insurance reasons are also still there because of federal reasons. As has been posted by others already. (thank you)

It's ignorance, plain and simple. You're competent, you should keep the job and get appropriate raises. You're not competent, go work for schmoes who do shit work, they won't fire you as quickly.

Started a new job yesterday and they too love my work performance. *shrug* We'll see how this one goes. lol

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you couldn't pile the C-notes up high enough to STOP me from voting "yes" if it was an option here...:woohoo:
Ok, send me the money instead for poster that said "you couldn't pay me $$ to vote...."

It's a step in the right direction....baby steps, not infallible. Agree w/ aoh!!

Hooray for government controlled monopolies, shitty weed and even stiffer penalties if you dare break the law and challenge their new money addiction.

As a veteran of Northwestern green rush, "legalization" is complete bullshit and the government can go fuck themselves. All legalization means is government is getting in bed with the uber-rich to force all of us out of the market.

FireIn.TheSky

See, this is the bullshit needing to go away.

Precision you want? You better make sure I'm medicated properly. Accident prevention? Don't make me laugh, I've been working with cannabis in my system for almost 30 years without a lost time accident.

The insurance reasons are also still there because of federal reasons. As has been posted by others already. (thank you)

It's ignorance, plain and simple. You're competent, you should keep the job and get appropriate raises. You're not competent, go work for schmoes who do shit work, they won't fire you as quickly.

Started a new job yesterday and they too love my work performance. *shrug* We'll see how this one goes. lol

Employers don't write rules for the individual, they write rules for the whole.

Yeah you may be fine smoking weed everyday and still keeping on task in a safe and productive mannor, but there is many retards in this world that can't do that.

I smoke weed everyday but I never smoke before work, my job could be very dangerous if I'm not paying full attention. Many people cannot separate work from play and get high everyday before work. As said I work in a fairly dangerous prfess ion and even as a long time weed smoker I was always taken aback at how some of my coworkers would smoke weed on the job multiple times a day, you don't just put yourself in danger you put others in danger too when you make decisions like that.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Employers don't write rules for the individual, they write rules for the whole.

Yeah you may be fine smoking weed everyday and still keeping on task in a safe and productive mannor, but there is many retards in this world that can't do that.
and they get fired. Performance based employment, remember?
Yes, you're correct. I'm not average.

I smoke weed everyday but I never smoke before work, my job could be very dangerous if I'm not paying full attention. Many people cannot separate work from play and get high everyday before work. As said I work in a fairly dangerous prfess ion and even as a long time weed smoker I was always taken aback at how some of my coworkers would smoke weed on the job multiple times a day, you don't just put yourself in danger you put others in danger too when you make decisions like that.
You're using the wrong strains.

Responsible usage of the proper strains enhances performance. Good on you for knowing you're unable to use your available strains at work.

FireIn.TheSky

No I believe it's not the strains, I really don't think it would be a good idea for me to smoke before work.

I do however see why you have a hard time holding a job...

Shovelhandle

Legalization will likely come up again in my state this legislative session. However the people who support this are fucking up the state economy in every other way. Elections are next week and I will not vote for the parties (Progressives and Democrats) that support legalization as the rest of their platform sucks.

BTW, I'm a moderate independent and not pleased at all with the presidential election choices.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it is a dubious assumption that everything about cannabis will be better when legalization happens
and that improvement may happen, but it may take another generation after legalization to happen; however, in the meantime its going to same as it ever was but with weed "legal" and available over the counter at highly over-regulated state licensed stores.

my go to statement is: med over rec.
in colorado rec use hasn't done much to improve conditions for the average user/grower. it has created the legal atmosphere to draw out the last few people who wanted to grow/use but didn't have medical need, or never bothered to jump thru the hoops to get medical paperwork to justify their use/grow.
some of those people are amazing growers with lots to offer the scene - but they are few and far between
it seems MOST people who wanted to participate in the cannabis grow/use scene would just get their med papers and do it (process is simple enough in colorado where im at, and most places with established med programs west of co).
and under medical rules if/when your use/grow was ever questioned it was immediately justified with medical necessity which actually can go a long way... but with rec there is really little protection aside from the constitutional amendment and / or legalization legislation - which outlines limits AND certain limited protections (legal use, but not in public! legal grow, but all kinds of restrictive municipal code that overcomplicates and makes growing cost prohibitive for many people).

rec at this point is an obvious sell out to big biz profit interests - the attempts to pre-monopolize the market before it even exists in places like ohio and florida, and "legal" rec use is not protected use (dish tv verdict in CO), and on top of that cannabis use is an easy way for people to get the upper hand in child custody cases because legal rec use is not protected use - YET. the stigma of cannabis use is still present - the "dangers of the evil weed" are still in square peoples minds - those uninformed still i can't imagine how but they exist, somehow.

Last edited:

EastFortRock

Follow the money on drug testing. I bet the insurance company people are getting cash from drug testing companies . Also the drug treatment and counseling companies don't want to give up a cash cow. I live in Oregon and will tell you I'm glad Rec went legal. You can't get busted for some dummy leaving a pipe or bag in your car (500 dollar fine) , they can't get a warrant to search your house because they think you're growing . Legal hasn't changed my consumption and drug testing worries, but it has freed me from law enforcement worries.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Follow the money on drug testing. I bet the insurance company people are getting cash from drug testing companies . Also the drug treatment and counseling companies don't want to give up a cash cow...

...Legal hasn't changed my consumption and drug testing worries, but it has freed me from law enforcement worries.
^^ This. I’ve always wondered how big the testing industry is (never researched it). Not only may there be influences for the insurance companies but there certainly are moneys gained from the employer side ie pre-employment screening, random testing, etc. Then you have law enforcement, requirements for screening for new and/or past offenders for instance. I’m sure there is a lot of money on the table.

Unfortunately this will probably not change on a state level as long as cannabis remains illegal federally.

And this one always gets my goat, there are situations where testing is a part of the investigation into criminal charges where cannabis may be thought to be involved. What state was it, Arizona I believe, that could charge you with driving under the influence if metabolites showed in your system? Meaning you could have smoked a week before the incident but be charged by testing positive even though you were not under the influence at the time. Either the authorities were ignorant of the science or chose to ignore it, more likely the later.

Ratzilla

Veteran
Howdy folks!
I am very soon 73 years old and stated smoking around 1966.
I bet most of you were not even a glint in your poppa eye then.
I been lock up for pot .I am talking years!
Had property taken from me in the name of the law.
When I go back in time everyone was saying even back then some of the same stuff peeps are saying now.
So many lies told on my favorite of plants.
So many people believing in these lies!
I love MaryJane the most of everything here on this earth.
So I got to be a outlaw about my love for this plant.
I tell no one but we all know shit happens.
I opine its better to live life keeping this secrete then it would be in not partaking of this most wondrous of plants.
Ratzilla :tiphat:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sure, as soon as med doesn't put you on a list. Totally agree with everything, just can't do the list thing though.

every rec customer is on a list also, tho
the state tracks all sales in all shops
there is a list for all of us....
:comfort:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
my understanding is that the video is tied to data with personal info and purchase info...
not that it matters
my point, exactly, tho
at this point, lists are part of it; heavy over-regulation is part of it(with no protections for legal use) - its up to us to decide our level of involvement and whether or not these regs will make a difference to you

imo biggest difference is that as a rec grower you could potentially fly under the radar; whereas med patients who grow their own (in coloradO) could be identified / isolated (assuming that the med records could be accessed)

same way, not something i worry about - that's the biggest relief of "legalization" is just the knowledge that pigs can't fuck with you. (just about EVERYONE else can including your job and landlord, tho.....)

Kozmo

Veteran
No, it definey is not going away. All this demand by us has only brought on more tools of control through burocracey. If I could pick I'd choose non legal. Insurance gives discounts for positive p tests. Contractors get extra marks on there bids when submitting them to win jobs. They will ramp up randoms to show there tough on "safety". Safety wins contracts. It's our up and coming prison system. People have made slaves out of ourselves with ideologic law that feeds an imaginary monitory system that you could wipe your ass with at best. Pot is just being sucked into a world that is being consumed by nothing more then parasites.
The sooner you can find a way to cope/deal with that the sooner you'll be able to change your world around us.

Much respect

I am salty as fuck about all this.

I was deeply involved in Washington State's medical program for the last several years. I watched Washington go from having the best medical program on the planet to one of the most restrictive. You could have 45 plants relatively easily, there were unbelievable farmer's markets and the government stayed completely out of it. I've never seen a more beautiful time than this. Then this faggoty legalization happened, I don't even know where to begin. Once the state got a taste of the tax money, they turned into a crazy addict.

Off the top of my head, once the government got a taste of the tax money suddenly medical gardens had to legally shrink by 74% from 45 plants to 6 plants. All medical dispensaries were forced to close down. All farmers markets were closed down. Clone dealing became illegal. And any form of business that does not go directly through government approved avenues is illegal. The state is pumping tens of millions of dollars now into going after medical and black market growers. Recreational is so shitty here that the black market is booming. So now what was the best medical scene in the country is completely dead and underground again. The government also wants you to put yourself on their watch lists if you're on medical. You lose your 4th amendment rights and ability to conceal carry a weapon now. What really sucks is there was so much innovation happening in the Washington medical scene that has now been all snuffed out.

I personally would love to get a recreational license but it is the most corrupt pile of shit I have ever seen.

They only open the window to get a rec license every few years and there's thousands of people on the waiting list.

You need to have a bunch of legal representation, you need to have a state approved facility and you need 250k in money.

The process is so corrupt that there's a ton of lawsuits in the state over why some politically connected entities got licenses and others didn't.

To get a license, it costs $250 to apply and then $1,000 a month after that. Imagine trying to start a new business with a $1,000 overhead a month before you even open the door.

The government tells you how you can run your business and can inspect you at any time.

The government takes the majority of money. Between a 37% cannabis tax, a 10% sales tax, licensing fees and the other joys of doing business in Washington State. It's next to impossible for most cannabis businesses to thrive.

They killed medical by saying medical patients could get their meds in rec dispensaries. Yet the quality of rec is so shitty here that the whole thing is a bugaboo.

They say they're doing this to stamp out criminal elements. Yet who the fuck do they think has the millions of dollars and knowledge to be able to run these operations for a profit in such shitty conditions? Basically big money paid off local politicians to force every one else out of the market. Now they're in bed with the government to own a monopoly over the market.

The environment is so confusing and corrupt that the state can basically interpret and create law anyway it wants now. For instance try to figure out what the state's definition of what a single plant against your plant count actually means.

This is all just off the top of my head. There's so much insane corruption with this bullshit, I have completely soured on what American government and legalization means.

Because Washington became so fucked I got deeply involved in Oregon's political process from the very beginning. I went to their government meetings and met with a lot of their most influential people. It's the exact same bullshit. The government picked a handful of people who create the laws to benefit their own interests (look into their software tracking bullshit, lol) and slowly the state gets addicted to the tax money and starts fucking everyone but a handful of people who they're in bed with.

Oregon is still the best scene in the country right now but they're becoming the crazy money addict Washington is.

I'm hopeful things will be better in a generation but I'm completely skeptical as so far "legalization" is the nightmare it's critics said it was going to be.

With that said, there is a lot of people progress. For instance from what other growers are telling me, cops in most hip counties aren't pursuing convictions on growers who aren't in compliance. Also the whole thing has become such a legal battlefield that it's essentially the wild west in the Northwest. But I'm very scared after watching Washington turn so evil and Oregon being scary as well.