What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Something wicked this way comes

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
WOW. look whos here! where you been? college?

i think he's been in antarctica, or perhaps the sahara or the middle of the south pacific. maybe prison. or the nut house. held captive by a disenchanted Inuit tribe who made him perform unnatural sex acts with seals and walrus, whichever he preferred, for their amusement.

anyway, wherever it was, there must not have been any electronic services like cell phones or internet.

no carrier pigeons, semaphores, telegraph, or smoke signals for that matter.

because why else would he disappear for several years without a word leaving folks wondering if he were alive or dead. not that they give a shit! just idle curiosity.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
i think he's been in antarctica, or perhaps the sahara or the middle of the south pacific. maybe prison. or the nut house. held captive by a disenchanted Inuit tribe who made him perform unnatural sex acts with seals and walrus, whichever he preferred, for their amusement.

anyway, wherever it was, there must not have been any electronic services like cell phones or internet.

no carrier pigeons, semaphores, telegraph, or smoke signals for that matter.

because why else would he disapear for several years without a word leaving folks wondering if he were alive or dead. not that they give a shit! just idle curiosity.
yeah! tellem':laughing:

zeke99

I found last night that some roots are growing into the bottom buckets. It didn't appear to be through the tailpiece, it appeared to be around the tailpiece. I placed a piece of screen over the top of a mound of growstone (tailpiece also filled with growstone), over the top of the tail piece in the bottom of the bucket, but maybe I need to glue the tailpiece in order to prevent this from happening?

Mr Blah

I found last night that some roots are growing into the bottom buckets. It didn't appear to be through the tailpiece, it appeared to be around the tailpiece. I placed a piece of screen over the top of a mound of growstone (tailpiece also filled with growstone), over the top of the tail piece in the bottom of the bucket, but maybe I need to glue the tailpiece in order to prevent this from happening?
I haven't glued anything..I tried the screen over the top (in the bottom of the bucket before tail) either way I have had roots. Not on them all so I tried lightly packing the perlite in the tail and still roots. So I firmly packed them in and it seems to be better but what I really noticed is the veg time. For me if I veg for only 4-6 weeks I will not get any roots in bottom bucket. Anything over that 6 week mark I get roots. Hope that helps a little.
Next I am going to change the feeding time to more often and more at each time. So the plant doesn't go looking for water. Just a thought...:tiphat:

zeke99

I haven't glued anything..I tried the screen over the top (in the bottom of the bucket before tail) either way I have had roots. Not on them all so I tried lightly packing the perlite in the tail and still roots. So I firmly packed them in and it seems to be better but what I really noticed is the veg time. For me if I veg for only 4-6 weeks I will not get any roots in bottom bucket. Anything over that 6 week mark I get roots. Hope that helps a little.
Next I am going to change the feeding time to more often and more at each time. So the plant doesn't go looking for water. Just a thought...:tiphat:

I lifted the buckets last night, in order to remove the roots growing down there, turns out they were growing through AND around the tailpiece. Not too much. I don't recall this happening back in my first PPK garden, which would have been something like 80% coco / 20% chunky perlite with the same mix in the tailpiece. Maybe I too wasn't pulsing often enough in veg / stretch.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
I lifted the buckets last night, in order to remove the roots growing down there, turns out they were growing through AND around the tailpiece. Not too much. I don't recall this happening back in my first PPK garden, which would have been something like 80% coco / 20% chunky perlite with the same mix in the tailpiece. Maybe I too wasn't pulsing often enough in veg / stretch.

a few roots won't hurt. the idea is to minimize root immersion in the solution to minimize o2 demand on it.

if there is no or little o2 demand on the solution it will stay naturally saturated (atmospheric partial pressures) to whatever dissolved o2 levels are possible at your altitude and temperatures.

Mr Blah

Other words not like this Zeke99 :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_4071.jpg
    IMG_4071.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 11

zeke99

hey! so, what you are looking at is 7 27 gal tubs around the sides of an 8' x 8' room. the first tub has a 750 gph pump in it. it is fired for 30 seconds every 30 minutes using a repeat cycle timer. this evacuates the tub the pump is in and redistributes the solution equally to the other six tubs via the red hose you see going around the room.. valve controlled at one gal each. this is enough cyclic volume to homogenize the solution. then our old friend gravity equalizes water levels through the return lines.

Thank you for the very detailed walk through. I can see putting this to use at some point.

zeke99

D9, I think you are familiar with the "roughneck" brand of storage totes. Wider than they are tall. If one were to use the 3 gallon as a top container and the 10 gallon as a bottom container, would you recommend a larger tailpiece than the traditional sink model, 6" x 1.5"?

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
D9, I think you are familiar with the "roughneck" brand of storage totes. Wider than they are tall. If one were to use the 3 gallon as a top container and the 10 gallon as a bottom container, would you recommend a larger tailpiece than the traditional sink model, 6" x 1.5"?

yep, anything over 2 gals should have a 2" up to about 5 gals. then a 3" to about 10 gals. my friends growing outdoors in 20 gals are using 4" tailpieces.

420ish

i'm just using the neem as a foliar. i have the reflectix covers over the medium so probably not much gets to the roots. alcohol is a catalyst for oil and water.

i've had bleach gas build up in a room to the point where it damaged plants before. this stuff is 27% h2o2 so i dilute it with at least 3 parts water. it's still 2.5 times stronger than the stuff at the drugstore and will burn your skin so wear protection. we use vinyl shop aprons and goggles, respirators.

Aquashield or Baquacil are some brand names. 16.95 a gal at pool supply places.

this green cleaner: https://www.arbico-organics.com/product/green-cleaner-mite-control/mite-control.

we wrap masking tape around the stem before the tanglefoot.

another thing that i did not mention that i think is real important for stopping mites and other crawling, wingless pests is that i don't tolerate flying bugs of any kind. i think most of us have seen that picture of 5 or 6 broad mites riding around on an aphid.

co2 above about 2200 ppm closes stomata and shuts down respiration but the plants can tolerate it for short periods of time with no ill effect.

so about once a month i have been opening up a cylinder in the flower rooms and running the ppm up over 10,000 ppm. it pegs the monitors and my handheld co2 meter.

this kills most but not all invertebrate life in the room. just making it more difficult for pests to proliferate.

i have not been able to find any results of testing of buds treated with green cleaner.do you have any info on it?the manufacturer says can be used in flower and am curious.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
i have not been able to find any results of testing of buds treated with green cleaner.do you have any info on it?the manufacturer says can be used in flower and am curious.

that's probably because it doesn't show up on test. or they are not testing for it.

down2grow

Ever since Delta advised me to blow out the return lines with a pump I haven't had a flood since. Thanks again for the advice Delta!! PPK is so kick ass and plants are thriving, but I can't get my PH to go under 6.3. I'm using Plagron A&B and everything has been pretty stable(2.0 EC and 6.3 PH) for the last four days. Volume tank is 1.4 EC and 5.5 PH. I was inputting a lower EC into the volume tank because I never have fed 2.0 EC(coco grower) before and thought that was high. Plants are super green and there are no tip burns. Any advice on how to get my PH down?

420ish

does anyone else get particles in the solution in the main tanks?in the last two weeks both my flower and veg float valves have clogged.the two 40 gallon barrels in my flower were just drained and they have it already 3 weeks later.i am using the water from my dehumidifier in the flower room and well water in the veg room.same problem in both.i am using jacks hydro and cal nit and am mixing jacks first then the cal .the water from dehumidifier tests to 5.4 ph and just above 0 conductivity.my well water tests to 0.6 e.c around 310ppm and ph of 7.5.i use ph down in veg to get water around 5.8.everything has been growing nice but i leave the grow for up to a week at a time and if the solution isnt getting refilled then as the level in the system goes down my ph and ec go up causing some leaf yellowing.all from the float valve clogging.has anyone used a water filter between the res and the float res?

Latest posts

Latest posts