What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Something wicked this way comes

Thank you for the diagram Snoop. It's just because my pots wont be in lines I'm just wondering the best way to go about everything

i like the res in the center with 4 plants in a diamond layout. it's not a good idea to daisy chain plant containers as they will all read differently.

how big of a plant container do you intend to use?

First and foremost... Those pictures are awesome! And thank you for your response

You think the diamond idea with a single return going into the centre pump is the way to go?
That's why I thought having a pump recirculating the water would be a better idea if using a daisy chain design... Also if the roots managed to get into the water, chances are they would survive a little longer because of the extra DO.

I intend on using the 5gal buckets people usually turn into diy DWC sites with 3gal fabric pots on top

Heisenburg

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
a series of overlapping shots of the intermediate veg room. once clones are rooted they go in here for approx 2 wks. by then the containers are completely full of roots. topping and initial pruning, shaping happen here.

i bought a 945 cmh and you see it in action here.

i see i managed to put up two nearly identical shots. Duh!

Attachments

• IMG_0351.jpg
    IMG_0351.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0353.jpg
    IMG_0353.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0354.jpg
    IMG_0354.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0355.jpg
    IMG_0355.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 16

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Thank you for the diagram Snoop. It's just because my pots wont be in lines I'm just wondering the best way to go about everything

First and foremost... Those pictures are awesome! And thank you for your response

You think the diamond idea with a single return going into the centre pump is the way to go?
That's why I thought having a pump recirculating the water would be a better idea if using a daisy chain design... Also if the roots managed to get into the water, chances are they would survive a little longer because of the extra DO.

I intend on using the 5gal buckets people usually turn into diy DWC sites with 3gal fabric pots on top

Heisenburg

not a single return line but one from each plant site.

in this system the plants do not rely on dissolved oxygen in water. individual roots won't drown if the plant as a whole is getting enough o2.

5 gal containers are good for the bottom but you will have a really hard time installing a working tailpiece on a fabric pot. i suggest a 3.5 gal bucket for the top.

not a single return line but one from each plant site.

in this system the plants do not rely on dissolved oxygen in water. individual roots won't drown if the plant as a whole is getting enough o2.

5 gal containers are good for the bottom but you will have a really hard time installing a working tailpiece on a fabric pot. i suggest a 3.5 gal bucket for the top.

I mean a single return from each site back to the control bucket in the middle

That's good to know. If a few roots get through the wick into the water I will be safe then?

I see you use a quite unique container for the plant itself. Is there any reason as to why?
Also, the pot with the plant in, should it not have any drain holes? So the pot is only dried through the wick?

Heisenburg

DunHav`nFun

Just wanted ta stop in and show respect for the damndest canopy management I`ve ever seen with a 1 plant 1 light scrog in a production environment....and all your lil pre-veg pics where you prune and shape the plants before being up-potted is to be commended as well ......

Since you went with the new DE fixtures to the explore horizontal way of life instead of the old tried and true bare bulbs hangin for big plants , did you make your screens 5 x 5 to maximize the DE supposed increased footprint ?.....enquiring minds wanna know....

Gotta love the clean lab type surroundings with the setup showing a place for everything and everything in it`s place....now....

Welcome Heath`s Mate , I`m an old Heath`s mate from way back , and D9`s tailpiece/wick is in place to make sure the upper container "air roots" don`t run out of moisture and DO in case of power failure till restored and timers/pumps kick back on....actually....

Roots growing down the tailpiece is detrimental to a fast feed , constant fresh solution and gas exchange , so as D9 stated above the tailpiece needs to stay "clog-free"...also...

It`s been proven over the yrs that lateral root growth for big plants , not "depth" is the formula to go with , so the wide upper oil change containers over a 5 gal bucket is what I used on my PPK experiment , but proof`s in the pudding with outdoor growers in Nor Cal pulling 10+ ber`s with fabric containers 18-24" tall but 8' wide....that said....

This setup is similar to the ebb and grow system/DIY ebb and flow buckets like I ran for many yrs thanks to Heath helpin me out long ago....IOW...

All the roots stay in the upper container as "air roots" , but the PPK uses frequent top feeds to replenish O2 to roots/gas exchange , but replenish nutrient solution for constant uptake...

At least that`s my take on it , but I only grew 1 plant with a bastardized DIY version of D9`s setup , and after a few private messages to help me tweak my feed setup , I was golden....anyways....

Gone fishin.....D9....

Respect....:moon:....and....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:.....

gmanwho

Veteran
delta ...hoping those stardawg c99 dont disappoint. but if they disappoint to pile they go. you got any other females to sort thru or just those 2?

my recent curse is only having 1or 2 females of said pack, not knowing if there couldve been better choices. or its ....there are to many females to choose from an not able to narrow it down quick enough. or afraid of letting the "one" go to quickly.

enjoying the show. bsafe

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
I mean a single return from each site back to the control bucket in the middle

That's good to know. If a few roots get through the wick into the water I will be safe then?

I see you use a quite unique container for the plant itself. Is there any reason as to why?
Also, the pot with the plant in, should it not have any drain holes? So the pot is only dried through the wick?

Heisenburg

i see that your questions have been answered by dhf so i'll just add that your choice of container size is decided by the vegetative growth period you want. roots continue to grow though stretch so that must be factored in as well.

a 3.5 bucket on top of a 3.5 bucket is probably about right.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Just wanted ta stop in and show respect for the damndest canopy management I`ve ever seen with a 1 plant 1 light scrog in a production environment....and all your lil pre-veg pics where you prune and shape the plants before being up-potted is to be commended as well ......

Since you went with the new DE fixtures to the explore horizontal way of life instead of the old tried and true bare bulbs hangin for big plants , did you make your screens 5 x 5 to maximize the DE supposed increased footprint ?.....enquiring minds wanna know....

Gotta love the clean lab type surroundings with the setup showing a place for everything and everything in it`s place....now....

Welcome Heath`s Mate , I`m an old Heath`s mate from way back , and D9`s tailpiece/wick is in place to make sure the upper container "air roots" don`t run out of moisture and DO in case of power failure till restored and timers/pumps kick back on....actually....

Roots growing down the tailpiece is detrimental to a fast feed , constant fresh solution and gas exchange , so as D9 stated above the tailpiece needs to stay "clog-free"...also...

It`s been proven over the yrs that lateral root growth for big plants , not "depth" is the formula to go with , so the wide upper oil change containers over a 5 gal bucket is what I used on my PPK experiment , but proof`s in the pudding with outdoor growers in Nor Cal pulling 10+ ber`s with fabric containers 18-24" tall but 8' wide....that said....

This setup is similar to the ebb and grow system/DIY ebb and flow buckets like I ran for many yrs thanks to Heath helpin me out long ago....IOW...

All the roots stay in the upper container as "air roots" , but the PPK uses frequent top feeds to replenish O2 to roots/gas exchange , but replenish nutrient solution for constant uptake...

At least that`s my take on it , but I only grew 1 plant with a bastardized DIY version of D9`s setup , and after a few private messages to help me tweak my feed setup , I was golden....anyways....

Gone fishin.....D9....

Respect....:moon:....and....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:.....

hey fred! funny, i grow in a bastardized version of my set up too! everything i do is bastardized! and cheap! wonder why?

thanks for the kind words!

the conduit tubes are 4.5' apart but as you can see if i hit the flip window right i get a 5' x 5' plus canopy anyway.

which is just right for these sunlight supply ac/de fixtures with philips greenpower bulbs at 30".

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
delta ...hoping those stardawg c99 dont disappoint. but if they disappoint to pile they go. you got any other females to sort thru or just those 2?

my recent curse is only having 1or 2 females of said pack, not knowing if there couldve been better choices. or its ....there are to many females to choose from an not able to narrow it down quick enough. or afraid of letting the "one" go to quickly.

enjoying the show. bsafe

thank you!

these were the two best females for sure and they both are looking good for the stage of growth they are in.

these in flower are the tops of seedlings that have not gone fully alternate yet. we won't know the whole story until i grow out the clones of these. this scrogging tech requires branching and some stretch to get right and seedlings don't do it as well indoors.

but for me, there are other factors to consider for keeping a plant. it must scrog well, get big, taste and smell good, be potent, finish early, and then, yield resin well.

it would also be nice if it autoflowered, had vine characteristics, grew year round in any weather. i want it to look like that wall of english ivy that grows at wrigley field.

growing for extraction i'm discovering that some plants that yield well flower wise don't yield much wax.

zeke99

a series of overlapping shots of the intermediate veg room. once clones are rooted they go in here for approx 2 wks. by then the containers are completely full of roots. topping and initial pruning, shaping happen here.

i bought a 945 cmh and you see it in action here.

i see i managed to put up two nearly identical shots. Duh!

Do these containers have tail pieces or drain holes?

DunHav`nFun

thank you!

these were the two best females for sure and they both are looking good for the stage of growth they are in.

these in flower are the tops of seedlings that have not gone fully alternate yet. we won't know the whole story until i grow out the clones of these. this scrogging tech requires branching and some stretch to get right and seedlings don't do it as well indoors.

but for me, there are other factors to consider for keeping a plant. it must scrog well, get big, taste and smell good, be potent, finish early, and then, yield resin well.

it would also be nice if it autoflowered, had vine characteristics, grew year round in any weather. i want it to look like that wall of english ivy that grows at wrigley field.

growing for extraction i'm discovering that some plants that yield well flower wise don't yield much wax.
Damn old man....You`re not askin for much are you ?...LOL....I haveta agree though bar none , all that and a 30+ % return on resin would make yas smile huh ?....:biggrin:....

Trial and error my buddy.....learnin`s in the doin....once you know whatcha got and it does what you need , that strain`s the keeper till something else whups her ass....

All about the bottom line in a production environment....Keep up the killer work bro....you`re always evolving , never settling , and always searchin......I`d liketa see whatchas could do with GG4....as branchy as that bitch is on top of we already know she`s a 30 per center THC wise , I think You needta exploit her inside for the good of the community and all to see .....I`m jus` sayin.... LOL....anyways....

My hat`s off to yas D9....:tiphat:...

Peace....DHF....:ying:....

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Damn old man....You`re not askin for much are you ?...LOL....I haveta agree though bar none , all that and a 30+ % return on resin would make yas smile huh ?....:biggrin:....

Trial and error my buddy.....learnin`s in the doin....once you know whatcha got and it does what you need , that strain`s the keeper till something else whups her ass....

All about the bottom line in a production environment....Keep up the killer work bro....you`re always evolving , never settling , and always searchin......I`d liketa see whatchas could do with GG4....as branchy as that bitch is on top of we already know she`s a 30 per center THC wise , I think You needta exploit her inside for the good of the community and all to see .....I`m jus` sayin.... LOL....anyways....

My hat`s off to yas D9....:tiphat:...

Peace....DHF....:ying:....

30%! i wish! but some are in the 17-20% range. i figure anything over 15% is gravy. i'm going through strains as fast as i can.

i would like a 30 plant menu so there is a long way to go.

later on

i have had 5-6 copies of gg#4 supposedly and none were decent. i'm still looking for a good one.

down2grow

Delta,

What brand are the 55 gallon volume tanks that you're using? Since you already use the 55 gallon tough totes, why didn't you just use those as the volume tank?

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply but I have been stacked out
with work and my studies.

DHF - It's an honour to have you reply to my questions. I know very well that you and Heath are good friends. I have spent hours reading the two of you conversating. As a matter of a fact, the only reason I can half grow a plant is because of those conversations. I hope your well and I can't thank you enough for taking the time to reply. Thank you for explaining the container question, it was bugging me for a while. Thank you for the reassurace about the roots hitting water and still having enough DO as well, that was one of my main concerns. Don't suppose you have heard of Heath recently? I hope he is in good health.

D9 - Those pictures :eek: You have got some serious skills brother!

As far as the build is going I am now starting to seriously piece things together. I have brought the buckets and have started thinking about how to build the wicks. I did see some rainwater outlets with big flanges on that I thought could be perfect to use as a wick, but they are quite expensive. I might just use the uniseals I was using on my RDWC system, push some pvc pipe through them and use some aquatic sealant. I just cant seem to find a simple pvc downpipe with a flange on in this country.

Another thing I have been wondering is if nylon tights would be a terrible idea to use as a screen for both sides of the wick?

I also cant get any chunky perlite unless I order it in from the States. Because of this, I've decided to go with a mix of coco cut with some seramis. I don't know if anyone knows much about seramis, it's meant to be a type of clay mined in Germany that retains water very well. Apparently it is very similar to turface as I can't seem to get any turface either. Starting to consider emmigration! I am assuming I should be filling the wick with straight Seramis and not coco?

I have decided to go with the idea of having the control bucket in the centre as Delta suggested.

Thank you for everyone who has helped answer my questions.I feel blessed to be able to swim in this fountain of knowledge. God bless you all.

Thank you for the reply Gry

If I was going to use coco and rice hulls what would I fill the Wick with?
Sorry if I'm clogging up your thread D9 just tell me to Pi** off if im bothering you...

Also, I read that you use Yaraliva Calcinit. I can get that in the UK but Haifa is not available here. Would I be best trying to get some Jacks imported or would anyone know of any feed I can use with a similar NPK and trace elements that is available in the UK?

Gry

Veteran
I do not recall what the rice hulls were mixed with originally - I am still using filtered and washed floor dry.
A couple of the older PPK threads go into a good bit of detail of how to select and test various media for suitability.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Capillary rise test
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.ph...&postcount=232
Air filled porosity test
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.ph...&postcount=179
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.ph...&postcount=731
[/FONT]
I do not wish to steer you wrong, so will leave any the balance of your questions to others.
Always neat to see someone else using a PPK though. They do make life better.