What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

someone is stealing my wifi

supermanlives

Veteran
got att wifi. got a security code . noticed my internet been slow lately. today without my laptop on i am noticing traffic on my router.i think i know who it is. how can i secure it more. how can i track the asshole so i can kick their ass .? you can pm me / help ?

supermanlives

Veteran
take the wife leave my internet alone LOL. i aint married anymore. the password was random and its obviosly a hacker . help

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
if they can crack your encryption code, I'd be more worried about them watching me online than them slowing me down.

supermanlives

Veteran
i am legal grower . but its weird .and i aint going anywhere. they can watch me jack off for all i care lol. kiss my ass. but i would like my communitcations to ic safe. its a 10 number password so i bet it was hacked.dont even know how to change it .lol otherwise my game is tight.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
maybe, but have you ever bought anything online?
Watch those statements in case "you" start buying expensive stuff on your credit cards

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
well at least you are now covered from prying eyes on what you do.

iampolluted

change the password to your router. type 192.168.2.1 into your browser. not sure which ip addy will work for you but you should be able to change the router password.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
wouldnt you also need to tell the new one to your OS somehow to avoid being locked out yourself? Sorry for the dumb Q but I've been lost with I.T. ever since the cpu stopped being responsible for graphics (yeah I know, a long time)

RB56

Veteran
... otherwise my game is tight.
No offense, but if you don't know how to log into your router, things aren't tight. Worth learning to do. If you can log in, you'll be able to see a list of connected clients. Tell you in a second if someone is intruding.

Pretty unlikely unless you use an obvious 10 number password like a publicly known telephone number. Another possibility is a router left open to remote administration with the default password.

With a secured router it is unlikely to be anything but noise or machine scans for vulnerabilities.

homebaked

Sorry to hear Superman. When you read up on and start logging into the router, you should be able to turn off wireless. Mine stays off since i have everything hard wired. You can also change password and your encryption in there as well.

Get familiar with those settings, there are plenty of tutorials online, just check for your router make and model. The passwords I use are all alphanumeric with a special symbol used.

Good luck bro, rather see ya get this fixed than be off-line

Skip

Veteran
- set your router to accept/forward only your 2 computer's mac addresses
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This! If your problem is someone stealing your bandwidth, this will stop them dead.
Also be sure you have a admin password setup and some kind of security (WEP or WPA).

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Step 1: Turn off your router when you're not actively using it. A random connection is less desirable to drive by hackers.

Step 2: Crash course in Wi-Fi routers is needed. Find the manual for your model and find out how to 'reset' it. Then find the default login/password in the manual.

Step 3: Change the password!

Step 4: Shut down the wireless function in the router. Disable it... whatever.

If you're still having internet slowdowns... someone is using your computer to do it.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

supermanlives

Veteran
thanks all . working on it. for now i visited the 2 peple that could be possibly doing it. told em someone is hacking my shit and if it happens again i am getting a computer geek here .and am gonna raise some hell and make the person regret ever stealing my wifi.i am sure its the guy with a website and strippers/belly dancers.if it happens again my friend is coming over and we are gonna hack the hacker.i really need to do some homework on my internet safety.

sso

Veteran
follow the instructions here.

http://www.pcwintech.com/find-your-router-ip-address

to get the ip address.

type it in the internet browser.

the name and password of routers, is usually always name = admin , password = admin

now you can change whatever router settings you wish.

maybe start with changing the password and limiting incoming traffic.

M

moodster

i love jumping on my neighbours wifi i downloaded over 60gb so far LOL