What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Some people say the amber trich issue is a myth? What am I to believe?

sbhydro1

You've been given the facts & a great tool (trichome chart) to guide you in timing the perfect harvest.

The hardest part is the waiting, you start to question "do they really turn amber or is that a myth", they do change & the wait is worth it. If you cut em early, you'll wonder what they could have been, if they'd grown up.

Keep a copy of that trichome chart so you can refer back to it when having doubts!

Buckwheat

Hairs have nothing to do with trichs.

Trichs are not a myth.
I agree...correct.

What I am saying is this: I have heard from some people that some genetics don't produce many amber trichs no matter how long you let them go.
They don't know what they are talking about.

I've had some bagseed that went totally red haired before the trichs were even cloudy.
Same here. Recently Vision Thai did this...all hairs were totaly red by the 4th or 5th week and there wasn't one cloudy trich on the plant.

I like to harvest mine at 60/40 cloudy/clear with a few ambers just starting to show.
I don't care for heavy body stones or couch lock highs, if I did I'd let em go longer.

medicaluser420

What you can also do if you are not a believer is cut buds off during different stages of growth always leaving a little bit to mature a little longer and I will guarantee that the buds that are left to mature will have a completely different effect then the one harvested early.That is what convinced me. But it all depends on the high you want. Some people hate the couchlock effect and prefer to harvest a little early to get the head high and vice versa. It is ultimately up to you. Good Luck

kenslick

Hey Man I'm kinda in the same situation that you are as far as whaen to cut em, but I vegged for8 weeks and I'm in day 43 of flower, I have trees 5-6 foot tall (not what I wanted low celing) but I tied them down a lot and my top flowers are a lot bigger than the ones below I have mylar totaly surounding on styrofoam, and running 2 1k's, so i'm sure the ones on top will be ready before the lower ones, so from what you all are saying is I should harvest in two stages, will the ones on top and that are bigger be ready sooner?

medicaluser420

NO NO NO what I am saying is if you dont believe that trichomes change color and the effect of the herb. And the only way to notice the difference is harvesting little bits at different times to see which one you prefer. Leave those colas alone although they will be way bigger,quicker does not mean they are any more mature then the bottom buds they just grew bigger and faster cause they were closer to the light. Dont worry those 1k's should be enough to penetrate at least 4 ft down into canopy. If there are litte branches on the bottom that look like they are not gonna give you much(a.k.a. suckers)just cut them off so the energy can go to the top buds. Good Luck

kenslick

cool man thanks, they really look great, big ol dog leg buds from tying them back so much, ha-ha road dog from texas loves them dog legs lol,I'm keeping a close eye on them know I don't even want toleave the house till there done lol, but just paranoya setting in, lol I just dont want to leave my girls alone, I'll be posting picks in the next few days (gotta get new cam ) they should be killer by then wish I had more picks when they were in veg I used the hortlux blue and would recomend it to everyone well worth the xtra bucks, I got fucking trees man !

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Trichs turn amber after that particular trich has synthesized all of the THC that it is going to. In that instance that trich head has a higher percentage of CBD (broken down THC) than a milky head. Milky heads have higher THC than CBN (precursor to THC) and CBD. Milky heads are at peak THC production and about to go amber. Clear heads have higher percentages of CBN than THC or CBD.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
CBD gives a couchlock effect, while CBN gives more of an uppity edgy effect... but neither are very useful without an added measure of THC... I hope this helps, I am kind of confused as to the first post. I have heard that the hairs changing is an indicator and would support that if that particular plant has been observed on the microscopic level as well as the dead pistil ratio... ie: If you look at the glands and see ninety to eighty percent milky heads and ten to twenty percent amber heads and seventy five percent of the pistils have died and you would like to harvest there, I would assume that you could just harvest a clone of that plant when three quarters of the pistils have died and you would end up with the same quality high.....
Sativas heads seem to sythesize longer (take more time between clear milky and amber) than do some indicas. So it would make sense to harvest sativas later, and let them put on bud weight. Does this help at all Shibby????

dmcheatw

I know what SD is talking about as there was some discussion of it on og as well.

IMO, people saying "of course they turn" may have not looked into it far enough. I myself don't know the answer, but it is not black and white. From my own experience I never had more than 10% of the trics turn amber... and i let the plants flower for 4 months. They were also bagseed. To me this lends credience to the fact that many strains do not amber appreciably. Still this common knowledge must have gotten started somewhere, so I'm sure some strains do it b/c it's in the genetics. It may even be a combination of environment and genetics that determine what % of trics ultimately turn.

I think it's safe to say once you see some amber ones here and there that your plant is mature, or at least only a week away, esp if, say, 80% of the hairs have turned as well

G

NiteTiger said:
Generally the folks claiming a strain never gets amber have just gotten a freak pheno that takes forEVER to mature. I'm not saying there aren't strains out there that won't ever go amber, but for 99%, I think this is the case.
well said:D
also i read above could a top bud be ready faster than a lower...YES.. many plants can mature at different level. the tops get the "sun" and will mature quicker than the lowers so if your running like 600w indoor its easily acceptable for a top cola to show amber tric's and the lowers showing clears:wink: you can harvest the mature buds before the "not mature enough" buds easily and without worry of killing your p;lant...she's already dying:wink: just take what is ready as it becomes ready.
a word of advice to new growers..you should get yourself a pocket microscope. dont try to determine mj worth by eye! :joint:

G

whats happening right now is that the bottom is maturing quicker than the top on both indica and sativa. never had that happen before..weird

indica definitly doesnt have many amber ones yet :( still waitin though.....

9059DSCF1478.JPG

9059IndicaCloseup1.jpg

I had a Nirvana White Widow that did not show any yellow, even after 105 days. I was using one 1000 watt MHS. It smoked perfecly at about 77 days.

peace, lov, understanding ;-)

CB420

NiteTiger said:
Hairs have nothing to do with trichs.

Trichs are not a myth.

Take a real good look at that chart medical posted, and follow his advice.

Quite the contrary. Those hairs make the trichs.

A quick tip on harvesting: It is best to pick when brown hairs are developing more than white hairs on the bottom part of the bud. Brown hairs are a sign that thc output has been peaked out and it will continue diminishing from that point.

www.crystalman.nl for awesome trich photos.

For my opinions please check other posts. http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=26091

I beleive in immature/mature trichs. But not in the cloudy, amber debate.

Skunkenstein

I have a hybrid I've been growing for for several years..both Indoor and outside.When it's time to chop..or maybe a little past time..the color changes from clear to Amber...visible with the Nekkid Freakin Eye. I can't recall ever seeing cloudy though..And I think it's strain dependant..This plant produces black hash.So dark resin glands are really no strech of the imagination.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
CB420 said:
Quite the contrary. Those hairs make the trichs.

I beleive in immature/mature trichs. But not in the cloudy, amber debate.

I think you're talking about pistils which is not a trichome. Pistils only mark the maturity of that very ovule not the entire bud. Trichome development is fairly the same over an entire calyx cluster. They do turn from clear to cloudy, then to amber. Pistils turn from whitish to reddish as they die and that proceeds up a calyx cluster as time progresses. One is microscopic the other is very visible with the naked eye (1/4 inch to 1/2 inch).

Guvnor

mean mr.mustard said:
Trichs turn amber after that particular trich has synthesized all of the THC that it is going to. In that instance that trich head has a higher percentage of CBD (broken down THC) than a milky head. Milky heads have higher THC than CBN (precursor to THC) and CBD. Milky heads are at peak THC production and about to go amber. Clear heads have higher percentages of CBN than THC or CBD.

:yeahthats

Enough said IMO
All The best
Guvnor

Last edited:

Mampi

Nice debate guys, good thread Shibby :yes: made me re-evalute the common misconsceptions.

I think that mean mr.mustard done it in the study with the led pipe, lol..... sorry could'nt resist. On the real I believe mean mr.mustard is right on the money with this..................

CBD gives a couchlock effect, while CBN gives more of an uppity edgy effect... but neither are very useful without an added measure of THC... I hope this helps, I am kind of confused as to the first post. I have heard that the hairs changing is an indicator and would support that if that particular plant has been observed on the microscopic level as well as the dead pistil ratio... ie: If you look at the glands and see ninety to eighty percent milky heads and ten to twenty percent amber heads and seventy five percent of the pistils have died and you would like to harvest there, I would assume that you could just harvest a clone of that plant when three quarters of the pistils have died and you would end up with the same quality high.....

@ Shibby, my plants normally ripen from toe to head...... I think this is to do with the heat/tempreture @ canopy level..... what I've done this run is start to raise the lights slowly over the last 10 days as most of the weight is already present and the lower lumens are'nt such a big deal at this stage......

So I have to respectfully disagree with ya regicide, outside maybe cola's will mature fastest but IME indoors its the lowest set of buds on a cola and the buds at this level that mature fastest...... YET..... As I stated though I am sure this has something to do with the heat @ canopy level and sure you could rectify this with good airflow or aircooled shades......... Then again when sexing a seed it is at this same level of the plant that I first notice pre-flowers :rolleyes:

To all looking at pistils as a sign of maturity as has been stated this is not a correct or proper way to tell if a plant is ready for harvest..... Pistils can die and new ones grow from where old ones once resided...... Overferting will kill pistils IME alongside other stress..... If pistils are dying before the plant is mature then it's probably a stress related issure IMO.... I had 30% orange/dying pistils at week 5 after a slightly too high dose of PK13/14 was given to my ladies....... a week and a good flush later WALLA new pistil growth.

I'd also go with the guvnor's take on this, ie- enough said!! read the mean. mr.mustard breakdown....

peace!

Last edited:

cid420

um thats bs trichs not visable by naked eye .. wonder what all this crystal is on my plants then , u may not beable to disern color well but u can most diffently see them with naked eye . get some eye drops all that bong smoke has attacked your sight man