What's new

some observations recently with germination.

G

BullsNBowls said:
When seeds are germinating the sex is determined than, in most strain cases. From the get go most seeds are sexless when in seed form. That is why piss poor conditions will sprout more males. To create feminized beans you have to shock the plant. The plants will not show their sex until the 4-7 internode (strain pending). It is the piss poor conditions that also affect the amount of hermies you can get. Some older Landrace strains (ok, a lot of older strains) will produce hermies because they are not in their original natural habitat which provides large amounts of stress. As for pollinating, I have found the best time is through the 4-6 week of flower, strain pending.

Ive heard that in the 3rd and 4th weeks of veg stress effects sex, ive heard the same you state that its determined at germination, and what i believe at pollination.

i tend to agree with chimera and shipperke that sex is predetermined at pollination. there has been many ideas that i have followed and found otherwise. theres many missin pieces to the puzzle for sure. i germ and clone in whatever conditions are present, and ive never noticed a large ratio of males. actually quite the opposite. i see way more females either with 100% germ or 10% germ. i see 50% male and female no matter what when all germed beans are added up over a period of time. just been lucky lately.

if sex was determined at germination id have nothin but males in the conditions I expect seed to crack. Ive pretty much disproven that fact for myself

CBF

BullsNBowls

What is the lighting you are using? Remember that cannabis is very photosynthetic and also that the lighting will produce warmth. As does the humidity. If you are germinating the same everytime, although the atmospheric conditions are varied, then you are still providing the right conditions. Cannabis is a very unique plant and is not just a weed (like many assume). Closely realted to the hops it is still the only plant where sex is a contributing factor in survival in the wild.

Latest posts

Latest posts