What's new

Some motherf*ckin' LED's

vukman

Veteran
View Image

Decided to chop it when the pot dried out. It was turning purple in spots on the lower buds, but I figure I"ll let the next one. This one weighs 149.1g wet, can't wait to see how much this dries to, but moreover smoking it in a few months after a proper cure. My hand was tired from holding that monster when trimming it up.

That is a MASTERPIECE!!!!!!! I can think of no better words to use!!

Congratulations on that monster...:bow:

Very nice Phychotron, I have been looking at LED's lately and your grow definitely makes them appealing. Congrats on the monster bud and good luck with your future grows.

Phychotron

The people who say that are the folks who were sold on the 90w is equal to 400w HPS, which is realize lately is actually true...for lettuce, but not for bud, definitely not for bud.

I swear I responded to this a few minutes ago already. I'll keep ya'll posted on the dry weight of that one and the rest of the plant. I reckon about a 10 days and I'll have a good enough estimate.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
Beutiful, I think the only problem with LED's is their price. You can get a 1000 watt system for under $200 these days, air cooled, but to fill that tent with lights you needed what 6 or 7 LED's that would be thousands just for lighting alone. I can build an entire room for the price in lighting alone. Still, I have seen the SG's in action and they are nice. Especially in veg. I have to say I have been interested in plasma, and induction lighting to, but haven't had any hands on experience with them. Just talkin' shop, I love to see progression. PEACE

oneshot

Beutiful, I think the only problem with LED's is their price. You can get a 1000 watt system for under $200 these days, air cooled, but to fill that tent with lights you needed what 6 or 7 LED's that would be thousands just for lighting alone. I can build an entire room for the price in lighting alone. Still, I have seen the SG's in action and they are nice. Especially in veg. I have to say I have been interested in plasma, and induction lighting to, but haven't had any hands on experience with them. Just talkin' shop, I love to see progression. PEACE

So many people ignore all different levels of cost and make blanket statements like this.

vukman

Veteran
So many people ignore all different levels of cost and make blanket statements like this.

*sigh*............true..so true........and again the issue of retail vs. wholesale raises it's ugly head again..not to mention the savings in AC, nutrients, water..etc..etc..

It's a systemic problem where greed holds the trump cards...I truly do hope that this will change one day and one day soon......

Well...seeing that Dec 21 is right around the corner and all that is...aaahahahahah

Just joking folks...

Great grow Phyco!!!!!! Excellent job!!!:yes::yes:

RoostaPhish

Veteran

What levels did I miss. That would be literally thousands in LED lights. I can get 1000 watt systems for under $200 retail. So for a 10 X 10 room with 4 1000's. Lets do the math.
1. 4 X 1000 = 800
2. Exhuast fan = 150
3. In room AC = 250-300
4. Panda film = 10-20
5. Oscillating fans= 3 x $35
That is the jist of it, plain and simple, bulbs are not expensive these days, I get 600's for $30, and quality bulbs not basic, maybe Sunmaster or Ultra sun. The only differences would be in electrical consumption which with that many LED's would still be quite high, And like he said it does get up into the high 80's, or even higher, this would still require the use of some sort of cooling. I never critisized this grow, you notice my first word was beutiful, was only talking shop, no one can deny that LED'S are expensive, and need to be lowered in price to make them appealing to the average grower. To be honest to me LED's are not the way of the future, plasma lighting is, but it to is still very high priced. If in some way I have offended the original poster than I apologize. But you others don't be so quick to jump on someone before you know all the facts.

oneshot

What levels did I miss. That would be literally thousands in LED lights. I can get 1000 watt systems for under $200 retail. So for a 10 X 10 room with 4 1000's. Lets do the math.
1. 4 X 1000 = 800
2. Exhuast fan = 150
3. In room AC = 250-300
4. Panda film = 10-20
5. Oscillating fans= 3 x $35
That is the jist of it, plain and simple, bulbs are not expensive these days, I get 600's for $30, and quality bulbs not basic, maybe Sunmaster or Ultra sun. The only differences would be in electrical consumption which with that many LED's would still be quite high, And like he said it does get up into the high 80's, or even higher, this would still require the use of some sort of cooling. I never critisized this grow, you notice my first word was beutiful, was only talking shop, no one can deny that LED'S are expensive, and need to be lowered in price to make them appealing to the average grower. To be honest to me LED's are not the way of the future, plasma lighting is, but it to is still very high priced. If in some way I have offended the original poster than I apologize. But you others don't be so quick to jump on someone before you know all the facts.

You are just wrong. How many HPS bulbs will you go through over 50,000 hours? How many times will you have to clean the hood/reflector? Think about the extra equipment taking up room.

How much extra ducting? How much more space to dissipate heat? Up front costs are more for quality LED lights but overall they are cheaper in the long run.

Oh no, with 7 LED lights it gets to 80 degrees! World ending!! With 7 HPS bulbs it would be an oven.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
You replace the bulbs once a year maybe at the most twice, I use coir and coil so once a year, and oh no cleaning the reflector, im sure you clean dust accumulation off of your LED's to, and ducting is cheap and ran to be out of the way, simple. You would never need 7 hid lights to illuminate that small of an area. 1 and a light rail would suffice. You run hot air outside and little space is needed for dissipation. I have been to your threads as well, I check up on people who I discuss things with. And I know from your posts you have what a 4 X 4 tent illuminated with a multitude of LED's. And what did you say the cost of the one was alone $1100, and then how much for the lightworks, another almost grand right, plus what, 100 for each kessil, that is a ton of money just to illuminate a small tent. LED'S do not penetrate or yeild quite as much gpw so for now to me there are to many cons than pros. For a small personnal grower these suffice, but I am yet to see anyone that needs to supply the masses repping/using these lights. This has nothing to do with greed, why would you not want the maximum production for the amount of money spent to produce the product, as long as quality isn't affected. Anyways, I think that is enough said, I am sure you are going to argue everything I have said with no basis in fact, so I will humbly bow out.

tenthirty

I don't know about you guys, but electricity is my biggest expense by far!
Second is labor. (If you want to count that.)

<600 watts well made led = 1000 hps + way less AC. Thus...... far less cost over time.

Around here, > 30% savings in the winter and much better than that in the summer.

This doesn't even take into account the piece of mind benefits!

Phychotron

Yes, you can buy the cheapest equipment on the market for $200 if thats how you roll. I don't want to deal with the hassle of HPS. I do have a lot of fixtures in there, but those are the cheaper one's that don't compare. They're getting replaced as soon as possible.

I bought an LED, I hung it up, I grew amazing bud with it. Come time to move it, I just move it. No rewiring or having to find a spot for a ballast or some heavy ass hood. Then there's also the personal hazard of accidentally touching the bulb. Or hot starts and bulb failures. If I accidentally unplug them I can plug them right back in without having to wait. I can leave my house for a few days with no problem-- I don't have to worry about leaving a fire hazard.

No extra cooling costs, other than more exhaust fan on hot days.

If you don't want to buy a computer because a typewriter is cheaper, thats a decision you need to make for yourself. You cant front the money... I understand.

oneshot

You replace the bulbs once a year maybe at the most twice, I use coir and coil so once a year, and oh no cleaning the reflector, im sure you clean dust accumulation off of your LED's to, and ducting is cheap and ran to be out of the way, simple. You would never need 7 hid lights to illuminate that small of an area. 1 and a light rail would suffice. You run hot air outside and little space is needed for dissipation. I have been to your threads as well, I check up on people who I discuss things with. And I know from your posts you have what a 4 X 4 tent illuminated with a multitude of LED's. And what did you say the cost of the one was alone $1100, and then how much for the lightworks, another almost grand right, plus what, 100 for each kessil, that is a ton of money just to illuminate a small tent. LED'S do not penetrate or yeild quite as much gpw so for now to me there are to many cons than pros. For a small personnal grower these suffice, but I am yet to see anyone that needs to supply the masses repping/using these lights. This has nothing to do with greed, why would you not want the maximum production for the amount of money spent to produce the product, as long as quality isn't affected. Anyways, I think that is enough said, I am sure you are going to argue everything I have said with no basis in fact, so I will humbly bow out.

Maybe you should check the GPW and lb harvest under LED subforum as well.

CLW 200W Bloombooster was $350. Close to $1,000, yep. I bought the Kessils to experiment with for under canopy lighting, nothing else. Something that HPS growers do sometimes as well.

So now you are $1600 ($800 for 4 1000w bulbs) for your bulbs, every year? At 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, that is 8736 hours a year. You are basically spending $6400 in bulbs over the course of my LED's lifetime, not including the extra heat from the ballasts and the extra electricity and extra hoods.

My LED's run for 50,000 hours without replacement and a 5yr warranty.

Then we can bring in electrical cost factor over time doesn't equal out, sorry.

Bennyweed1

Veteran
Im not for one or the other. Right now I use 460w of high quality LEDs and use HPS in other rooms.

460w of LEDs emits the same amount of heat a 400w HPS bulb does so they are for sure more efficient in that aspect but to say their heat produced is minimal is just not accurate, unless your using bogus MFG cliams like:90w UFO = 400w HPS!!!! Complete bs....... I by replacement 600w Sunmaster bulbs every other year on ebay for around 40 bucks. I have two 600w HPS lamps which equals about $320 bones for bulbs over the eight year life of most LEDs....then again the technology is not even 8 years old yet so those claims are unfounded in my book. Also, most HPS bulbs have a rated life span of 90,000 hours.....thats over 20 years if used on a 12/12 photo period....So that claim of needing to replace bulbs every year is so flawed and I think spawned form LED mfgs. Replacing something every year which is rated for 90,000 hours is just dumb. Mine as well trade your car in every 12 months too because MPGs drops .6% a year.

My leds cost me about $1200 bucks in 2009 and I already want some different ones. Using a single LED for eight years is like using that same cell phone for 8 years. Impossible when they get out dated so quick.

LEDs are easier to use needing no ducting but my tent still needs a heat extraction fan at the top of the 4x4 tent to keep temps down.

I just dont see there point in large application unless you have money to burn because they for sure look badass but their results do not outweigh the cost over HPS and that is my opinion. Watt for Watt there is no huge difference though they do run slightly cooler then HPS.

1000w of LED and I mean actual power consumption not some BS claim, is going to produce a lot of heat. That will require fans or a way of cooling, especially in a tent. I can reach 90+ degrees with my 460w if I turn off my filter/exhaust fan. Watt for watt, there is no significant difference justifying the price of brand new panels. I use both LED and HPS and that is my stance and I would not trade a single 600w HPS for another 600w of LED.

Just stating the truths.

BrownThumb

Even though I already committed to LED's, I do love to hear the continuing debate between technologies. I believe this makes everyone involved a little more knowledgeable, even if there is disagreement on the best or most efficient tech.

I think most people that have exposure to LED's now know that they run hotter than alleged by many sale types. For my tiny space, LED was the way to go due to lack of circulation and heat, even though I doubt the light I purchased will deliver quite as well as a 600 watt HID.

Phychotron

Here's an update of those 9 grapgegod that were started under the 180. They were all crammed together and stretched a lot, but I did nothing to stop them. I'm basically seeing how lazy I can get and still produce good results. They were like that for about 5 weeks until I was able to move them under the DS and space them out. 3 gallon pots, vegged for 2 weeks. flowering for 9 weeks tomorrow. These are the clones from the single grapegod seed I ordered. I'm thinking she's a keeper.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php