What's new

some breeding and preservation projects

Apodo

@purple clouds I congratulate you on your effort to preserve the diminishing cannabis genepool. Do you still conserve all this strains showed in this tread?.
I look forward to see your new projects. Keep the good work.

purple clouds

Veteran
thanks everyone i haven't lost any of these strains, i'm still working with them. there is a lot more i'll be working with too.

bhutan from malberry seeds
nice sized bushy plants.
the aroma of the finished buds is metallic bubblegum with hints of citrus, the flavor is the same with an added woody aftertaste.
when first smoked there is an initial rush to the head. your senses are heightened slighgtly, thoughts are pushed away and you just feel good. the effects last around 2.5 hrs. the one female i got had decent potency.9 males not bad for feminized seeds. hehe. very glad to have males to make more seed. i wasn't gonna buy them cause they were fem seeds.

Attachments

• bhutan.jpg
    bhutan.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 11
  • bhutan1.jpg
    bhutan1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 12
  • bhutan2.jpg
    bhutan2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 13
  • bhutangirl.jpg
    bhutangirl.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 12
  • bhutandried.jpg
    bhutandried.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 13

purple clouds

Veteran
pics of blue-black rain.

Attachments

• blueblackrain-1.jpg
    blueblackrain-1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 11
  • blue-black rain1.jpg
    blue-black rain1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 9
  • blue black rain.jpg
    blue black rain.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 10
D

daylighting

Beautiful, and that Bhutan sounds fascinating. Sounds like it would be great for stoned meditation. :D

S

shokdee

Very happy to see your updates Purple Clouds.

Blue-black rain is pretty, this is blue nepalese X (columbian black x rain)? Why this cross? And the licorice taste, I thought durban poison was unique in that regard. Is this a flavour phenotype?

Do you have any red thai? Or news of rain cloud, super metal haze, or nirvana?
Do you plan to cross the bangladesh x c99 hybrids with rain?

Keep up the great work, would love to assist you any way I can.

Look forward to more updates, chok dee.

Attachments

• Peace_signs.gif
    Peace_signs.gif
    12.1 KB · Views: 19

DevilWeedSeeds

Private Breeder
ICMag Donor
That's pretty cool your still around and working on your strain PC what are some of your favorites so far you have been working on?

purple clouds

Veteran
the bhutan is really good for stoned meditation, very peaceful.

the licorice taste comes from the colombian black. the colombian black was thought to come from africa because of its taste. i heard reports of licorice tasting strains coming from india before the 80s. thats probably where durban poison came from.
i'm growing out dtc99 and the leaves from the durban phenos look very close to the colombian black leaves.

the colombian black was crossed to rain because i knew they would compliment each other and produce good synergy. first off the colombian black produced its resin very slowly, while the rain produces glandular trichomes in the first week of flower then continues to secrete oils for another 19+ weeks(sticky, sticky herb). they also turned colors differently. i wanted to make the cross be a little bit indoor friendly while blending the flavors more. thats where the blue nepalese came in. the hint of blueberry sativa in blue nepalese helped the flavor, due to the thai heritage pulling through.
the high is very deep and mentally stimulating from the colombian black. your senses are very noticeably heightened with trippy effects from the rain. the blue-black rain can cause paranoia because of her intense effects.
there is variation among the plants mostly aromas and taste. all plants were very very good i've tried so far. they all showed purple color too.

red thai and super metal haze updates soon to come.
i'm debating germinating some rain cloud seeds and working through the f2s this year.
the nirvana is on hold for now. here is a picture of a nirvanaxrain female though.
i plan on crossing the bangxc99 to rain if i can't get the pure bangladesh to sprout.

they all have a special uniqueness to them, but nirvana, super metal haze, and blue-black rain are my favorites.

Attachments

• nirvanaxthai.jpg
    nirvanaxthai.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 9
  • nirvanaxthai1.jpg
    nirvanaxthai1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 13
S

shokdee

Hooray \o/, awe-some and ama-zing, thank you for the detailed reply Purple Clouds. Much to digest and think about ... why is rain cloud not a favorite? I look forward to your updates, as I'm sure are many others.
:watchplant:

purple clouds

Veteran
the rain cloud isn't a favorite because the c99 lowered ceiling of the high and added a slightly muddy effect in the head. it needs more work to bring the ceiling back up.

the red thai came from the real seed company
the plants won't begin flowering under two months of age. the flowering time is 25+ weeks. so a minimum of 33 weeks is needed to properly grow this one. there are two variations in taste and high i found.

there are fatter leaved plants which show some red color in the stems. it formed tighter buds then the other one.
this one showed some similar traits to the rain. the taste is at first citrusy. then goes into a incense like tobacco taste that fades into an earthiness chocolate.
the initial high is an energy boost, your mood elevates with positive vibrations and thoughts. you slowly relax into bliss and may fall asleep, lasting about 3 hrs.

Attachments

• red thai2.jpg
    red thai2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 20
  • red thai3.jpg
    red thai3.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 15
  • redthaiearlyflower.jpg
    redthaiearlyflower.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 20
  • red thaileaf1.jpg
    red thaileaf1.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 18
  • red thaiveg.jpg
    red thaiveg.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 18

purple clouds

Veteran
more pics of this pheno

Attachments

• red thai 5.jpg
    red thai 5.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 17
  • red thai flower.jpg
    red thai flower.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 16
  • red thai1.jpg
    red thai1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 18
  • redthai dryed.jpg
    redthai dryed.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 20
  • redthaidried.jpg
    redthaidried.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 24

purple clouds

Veteran
red thai

red thai

the other one stayed green and took a little longer to finish. the taste is a citrusy incense(frankincense?) with smokey undertones.
the high starts as a slight feeling in the head. that goes down the body, bringing a blissful slightly relaxed feeling. elevated mood, gets you going with its balanced energy. smoke more and drift away into your head of thoughts, a fun happy high. its effects lasting 3-4 hrs.

Attachments

• red thaidried1.jpg
    red thaidried1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 20
  • red thai4.jpg
    red thai4.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 20
  • red thai8.jpg
    red thai8.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 18
  • redthai10.jpg
    redthai10.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 19
  • red thai7.jpg
    red thai7.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 17
  • red thai buds.jpg
    red thai buds.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 21
  • redthaidried2.jpg
    redthaidried2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 24
  • redthaidried1.jpg
    redthaidried1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 20

Apodo

Seeing your pictures and by description off the plant (the red thai with the green pheno), I can only imagine to cross it with a Vietnam Black X Thai (from ACE Seeds). 90 days of flowering, more Thailand blood in it, with a quite adaptation to a indoor environment. Maybe will improve shield a bit. And of course, the Vietnamese leaning ones, will carry a quite different signature.
Anyway, just letting the clouds go trough my toughs.
Well just enjoying your work from afar.

D

daylighting

I have something right up your alley: a pure Indian sativa from several hundred grams we picked up there in 2005. I haven't grown any in quite a while. We are pretty sure it was brought to the city of Mumbai from Andhra Pradesh. It has a high I can only think of as calm bliss, but it takes ten minutes to hit me. Before then, I'm sitting around wondering if I'm high. From ten minutes onward, it continues to creep upwards. No ceiling. Less trippy and potent than the Southern Thai I've smoked, but a much more calm, pleasant high.

The seeds I've made have been stored at room temperature here in the tropics since 2007 or so, so I don't know if they'll pop for me. I have several hundred of the original seeds from India, but they smell musty and when I last shared them, the grower only managed to get a few to germ out of the 50 or so I sent him. I'd love to work with it again, but it took 13 months (Feb to March) to finish outdoors. I should really try and germ some to preserve the strain, as India is cracking down hard on ganja cultivation. If I do a seed run, it'll be indoors on 10/14 to hopefully get things moving a little quicker! I know it took the European grower 4-5 months of 12/12 indoors.

Gerardbutler79

Veteran
this is an awesome thread purple clouds. love your pics of the bhutan. I always thought malberry was a scam though?

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
Awesome bro! Interesting theory about the Durban being originally from India. In a way that makes sense considering that the shipping route between Europe and India was around the Cape and Durban is a port city. Keep us posted! :respect:

purple_man

Veteran
great work bro!!! keep em coming :)

the thai looks delicious, sadly 26 weeks might be a tid bit to long for some tehehehe

you tried giving them 10 hours of light or as little as 9 instead of 12/12??? also, they look mucho greeen at the peripheral/sun-leavs, you see the "claw" pointing downwards, mostly a sign of nitrogen overfert, also with many wild sativas, if one keeps feeding them nitrogen past month 1, they keep on "semi flowering" and foxtailing like crazy and prolonging the dispersed ripening.

blessss

codger

If those pure Sativa's are having a time starting flower try thwm at 11/13 hrs and go back as far as 10/14 bet they start up for you then , maybe you can cut down some of that time I know Di Wee Dalat had his Dalat started on those hrs instead of waiting and getting all those 26 week pheno's had them cut down to 18 and 16 week pheno's by time he was done working on them . Kickstart always help a real nice Sat. that just sits there...ty for sharing ...codger

S

shokdee

the rain cloud isn't a favorite because the c99 lowered ceiling of the high and added a slightly muddy effect in the head. it needs more work to bring the ceiling back up.
Have you considered crossing rain cloud with a "no ceiling" strain, like mango thai, make a mango cloud?

Buddha bless you, Shokdee

EDIT: Did you know that the word bong derives from the Thai word บ้อง (baung, bông)?

Last edited:

purple clouds

Veteran
that would be a good cross apodo. it is in another direction then where i'm headed for breeding wise at the moment though. willing to donate seeds for half the cross if you want to make those clouds of thoughts reality.

daylighting, that pure indian sounds wonderful. you should germ some and preserve them. it sounds too good to lose. do you remember what the indian tasted like?

try some soluble seaweed powder(i use maxicrop brand) to kick start those seeds. i also been experimenting with some ocean mineral concentrate that seems to help too. i haven't tried soaking the seeds with the ocean mineral concentrate yet, i just watered the soil that the seeds were planted in. i plant my seeds in a coco coir/worm casting mix. worm castings have many benefits for sprouting seeds beneficial microbes, mycorrhizae, auxins, etc... adding more beneficial microbes, mycorrhizae, and a low dose of humic acid doesn't hurt either.
i've gotten seeds from 2003 and 2005 to sprout that were kept at room temps. i'm pretty sure i got some rain seeds to sprout that are from the years 1987-2002(seeds were mixed over the years). i gave up on a bunch seeds sprouting and dumped them in pots that had plants in them, i didn't label them. much to my surprise a couple weeks later. i had sprouts coming up everywhere. so i won't be able to tell for certain until i flower them.

malberry seeds are scammers for stealing pictures, posting wrong flowering times, and labeling the bhutan seeds as feminized. i can't tell for sure if the bhutan seeds are really from bhutan yet, as i only grew one female the rest were males. going by the plants i grew they looked similar to the plants in thimphu. they showed the same purple coloring of the stem while the buds and leaves didn't turn purple.

calcioerba, maybe one day enough landraces will be saved/documented and we can trace where they traveled by comparing genetic traits. then matching the data up with written history to map out landrace genetics as they passed through the minds of our ancestors. i think it would help people understand the human mind better.

purple_man, the pure sativas really need the time to properly mature. i cut back to 11.5 hrs of light in early flower. if you rush them you really miss out on the effects, taste, smell, and yield. the claw is partly from cold temps and not enough light. i don't fertilize at all in flower. i only fertilize when i'm mixing my soil togther. my only water source is collected rain water though. i have the patience and usually prefer the longest flowering plants. so i don't mind the wait.

codger, preservation is the goal here. i don't want to throw special traits away even if most don't see the value. i looked up kickstart, from growtek? its a low level fert for starting clones? or did i find the wrong thing?

shokdee, the mango thai is full of male hermies. if the high is exceptional from the mango thai i will make the hybrid for a future breeding tool. i think potential is there.

yeah i read that before. thailand not only gave us some of the best ganja, they gave us one the the best smoking pipes.

thanks homebrew and everyone else for the support.

Latest posts

Latest posts