What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

So many questions!! Excited newbie!

I have to agree with Trypp on this one. You could have tried some LST and tried to lean it over or top it and make it bushy. Either way pruning and keeping a lady is better all the way around. The seedling stage is just too much BS to have to go through all the time. I also have limited grow space using a 2x6x7ft closet with 12 plants SO I have a NO Ladies Left Behind policy. Groom and prune her but never to death. IMO

NyUrbanFarmer

N

NoSocSlic

If they were seed bank beans I would have kept them going but its all bagseed here. When I don't know the genetics I just assume keep the ones that show the characteristics I'm looking for and cull the rest. I can always pop more seeds. The ones I threw out were literally on their first set of leaves and were already 8 inches tall. I had been pinching the stems trying to stunt them but instead they just bent and twisted and kept getting taller. Normally I would've just repotted and stacked more dirt up the stalk but I didn't want to mess with it this time.

I am honestly ready to try and order some beans again and run some decent genetics. The bagseed is fun but its a lot of work for something that may or may not work out. The only perk is its free, so culling a couple doesn't bother me. I can just pop more. The ones I got rid of looked really funny. Twisty bendy spindly stretchy little things lol. I suppose I regret it a little but like I said, free beans so no big deal.

its trypp

Even if the seeds free, that potential future bud. But as long as you aren't torn up about it, then there shouldn't be an issue. Happy growing :^)

komboloi

I definitely caught the bug. It is very nice to have your own home grown smoke, and I wish I had more. I am excited to start up another run and it is going to have one or two new elements added to it. I think that is how I am going to keep it. Add a couple elements each grow and learn along the way

. I don't know if I am going to jump right into hid lighting. Even with cfls I had occasional heat issues in that closet; never over 83 degrees but I would imagine it would get pretty damn hot with an hps.

I do have some nice beans from good bagweed that I will be popping soon. I am going to plant 5 and keep all the females this time instead of only one. This run I will be trying out FFOF for the first time as well, and rearranging to get hopefully 6 more cfls in there at least.

I am starting to look into some of the electrical aspects of the growing experience and that is my next hurdle. I'm also going to try and enclose the area which means I can bring in the carbon filter. Then possibly scrogging as well. Baby steps lol.
Congratulations of a successful first grow! Nice job not doing what so many people do on that first grow -- ruin good beans with too much fertilizer and too much water. There is an addictive quality to growing, that's for sure. I think you're smart to keep it small and simple at first, adding improvements to your setup one or two at a time.

Very soon you'll want more light. And although CFLs can throw off a lot of heat for their wattage, you might look into T5's. My experience is that they stay cooler than CFLs and give better coverage.

N

NoSocSlic

Thanks I appreciate it. That first grow was very fun, but its nice to have it under my belt. There is something very rewarding about smoking the herb you grow yourself. I don't see me stopping anytime soon.

I See.....

I See.....

If they were seed bank beans I would have kept them going but its all bagseed here. When I don't know the genetics I just assume keep the ones that show the characteristics I'm looking for and cull the rest. I can always pop more seeds. The ones I threw out were literally on their first set of leaves and were already 8 inches tall. I had been pinching the stems trying to stunt them but instead they just bent and twisted and kept getting taller. Normally I would've just repotted and stacked more dirt up the stalk but I didn't want to mess with it this time.

I am honestly ready to try and order some beans again and run some decent genetics. The bagseed is fun but its a lot of work for something that may or may not work out. The only perk is its free, so culling a couple doesn't bother me. I can just pop more. The ones I got rid of looked really funny. Twisty bendy spindly stretchy little things lol. I suppose I regret it a little but like I said, free beans so no big deal.

I see what your saying and I guess that's sensible. Bag seed beans are easy to collect and just as easy to sprout so....its not like your throwing out seedbay seeds like you said. Hey what ever works for you is whatcha gotta do. They were some beauties though lol! Great Job on your first grow! I hope my goes as smooth and is as successful. Cant wait to see the next BTW!

NyUrbanFarmer :tiphat:

N

NoSocSlic

All is well, I topped the plant a couple days ago and the new growth is coming in fine. Should be taking off from here. I'll post a picture in a few days. In the meantime cross your fingers for a female! Like I said, I'm growing it out either way.

Last edited:
N

NoSocSlic

still not much to see

still not much to see

Here is 20 days. the new tops are coming in nicely.

Hey NoSo any news on whether it's a female or no? It looks real nice and healthy anyway. Keep your fingers crossed. Post some new pics so we can take a look.

NYUF

N

NoSocSlic

Still no sign of preflowers yet but its close to that time. I just topped the new tops 2 days ago. I'll throw up another picture in the next day or so. I am working 12 hour days the next 3 days I think so if they don't make it up that is most likely why. I was kind of waiting on the new tops. I can say this much.

The only problem I've had thus far is a few deformed leaves coming up from the first round of topping, but the leaf set after that is normal and very healthy looking. I am expecting that to happen again with the new tops. The new chutes were beginning to take shape today so they should be poppin out tomorrow, Thursday, or into Friday. I think because of the topping sexing will probably be delayed but I would love to see signs of it soon.

I am thinking of switching the lights now because it'll encourage sex to show, and I know that it'll give a good stretch, especially in the first 2 weeks of 12/12. That's when I like to work in the LST. Tying the branches down encourages everything that would be popcorn to stand up on chutes of their own. I am thinking this will end up being a small but nice full bush in 3 weeks or so. Hopefully not a man bush lol. We shall see.

Latest posts

Latest posts