What's new

so apparently electric companies DO snitch on high power users on their own

budlover123

I had to repost this thread that ambition put up even though it was locked for being video-centric, the issue is very interesting, the video is about way more than just this.

This guy is talking about incentives that electric company employees receive from local police for reporting high energy usage. He says he heard one case where employees were receiving $1000 per report. Those electric company employees were probably jumping through peoples information to find people to report to the police like a fat old bitch hits up one of them instant win lottery machines, except these bitches are actually making money off other people's misfortune.

I'm sure they see it as a very noble thing they're doing though.

ambition

How this thread topic isn't blowing up over canna-boards I do not know. You go to any website and guys will ignorantly tell you just pay your bill and you're OK. Now we know for almost certain that is bullshit and that electric companies will rat you out. This completely changes the industry of pot growing in non-legal states, particularly for those with smart meters. And people are just silent about it.

This should be the biggest piece of news for non-legal state growers in years.

Andyo

Veteran
for sure

for sure

Same in the uk, they are just as zealous about growers as they are about electricity theft .
Dont know about rewards but defo know of people busted due to electric co reports .A

Midnight

Veteran
How this thread topic isn't blowing up over canna-boards I do not know......
This should be the biggest piece of news for non-legal state growers in years.

Probably because without a link or some such to the story it's just that, a story.

Dubya

If that's true why is it we don't hear lots of stories from people who got busted because of their bills? Because for the vast majority of people it simply does not go down that way. Pay your bill on time and you'll be fine and avoid time.

SmilinBob

There is nothing illegal about using a lot of power. So they didn't get busted for that reason.

It is however a reason you could be on a radar.

ambition

Probably because without a link or some such to the story it's just that, a story.
watch the video I posted earlier. Electric company employees are being paid bonuses to snitch on growers from their own bosses according to a former drug task force agent Barry Cooper. Here are some other links:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/15/high-electric-bill-leads-_n_539521.html

http://www.shakopeenews.com/news/general_news/high_electric_bill_leads_marijuana_bust-722

http://www.thelegalizationofmarijua...-electric-bill-trigger-a-marijuana-swat-raid/

There are tons more. You can google them same as me.
If that's true why is it we don't hear lots of stories from people who got busted because of their bills?
You can hear about them all the time. But you don't, because most busts that are not enormous commercial grows don't make the big papers. Only the local town journals. But they are happening all the time.
Pay your bill on time and you'll be fine and avoid time.
Wrong. Please don't give bad information, particularly bad information that you could have corrected with 2 minutes of searching the internet.
There is nothing illegal about using a lot of power. So they didn't get busted for that reason.

It is however a reason you could be on a radar.

OK, but let's delineate something right now, once and for all: If cops know you have a high electric bill and suspect you are growing in a non-medical state, you will get caught.

Just think about this for a moment. You are a cop who knows a guy is probably growing pot via electric bill. First, to keep costs down, you'll run dogs around the peremeter of the home. If they go apeshit(and they will), that's enough for a warrant coupled with the bill.

You've got a plan for that via sprinkled seeds outside the home? OK. They'll go to option 2: FLIR. You spent a few grand covering your tacks there via reduced heat? OK.

They'll go for option 3: knock and talk with an "i smell marijuana" justification for entering your home and raiding your shit.

You don't open doors for police? Fine. They'll wait for you to come home from the store, approach with the door open, then smell your weed (even if they don't, of course), then bust you.

option 5 for good measure: Make up bullshit about seeing drug activity and a host of other lies to get a warrant, and follow through with that lie in court.

The take-home point: if you have a high electric bill that is forwarded to LEO in a non-med state, you're done, no matter how slick you think you are.

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
when we are talking about snitching we are not having a 3 or 5 bulb conversation

if you have a barn or your basement is lite right up then you're in the snitching category

most people not going real big are not suspect to begin with.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
3 rooms with 82 plants growing, over triple the light bill of his neighbors. i'm sorry, but he stuck out like a sore thumb...

Phedrosbenny

Trying to have a good day
Veteran
This was posted in the comments section

NES is a public utility so billing records are public information. This is how even a non-law enforcement group like the Tennessee Center for Policy Research was able to get a copy of Al Gore's electric bill

I found it interesting.

ambition

This was posted in the comments section

NES is a public utility so billing records are public information. This is how even a non-law enforcement group like the Tennessee Center for Policy Research was able to get a copy of Al Gore's electric bill

I found it interesting.
I knew that for years, but I did NOT know that private electric companies were snitching, too.

Another comment I found interesting is one vaguely about the patriot act and recent provisions. Nobody is going to question the government looking into electronic records if they want to brand you a terrorist suspect (which apparently everyone in the nation is).

Growing indoors in a non-med on a larger scale may require the stealing of electricity.

Think this is immoral? So is high-wattage lamps for weed in general Change the laws and 99% of us will grow in greenhouses. Pinky swear.

Fuck em'.

]A[Boss

3 rooms with 82 plants growing, over triple the light bill of his neighbors. i'm sorry, but he stuck out like a sore thumb...

his bill was only 400 a month. two normal people that don't even grow can have a bill 250+ easily in a 3 bedroom. $400 isn't shit theres much more to this story than we are told.

his bill was only 400 a month. two normal people that don't even grow can have a bill 250+ easily in a 3 bedroom. $400 isn't shit theres much more to this story than we are told.

"After receiving a tip, police reviewed recent electricity bills for the home"

it doesn't say if the tip was from the electric co or some "concerned citizen"

rogerw

The co. I get me electric from just put in the NEW meters that get read automatically . Their reasoning is that none of their employs have to come out and read it. But after talking with the guy installing it more came out. Like they can tell when you use your power like to the second then your lights come on for how long and so on. I had a feeling that there was a lot more than what the power co . was saying was going on. The state I live in is 1 of the extreme red neck states and know they are always looking for a way to take your property . More so now that the states are hurting for $$$ they are going to be hunting for any way to get more money. So yes they are watching and with the new meters they have a way without even going on your land.

]A[Boss

ahh ya i see.. knowing the area i bet it was a snitch from outside the power company. Then led to power investigation.

David762

Those "incentives" to snitch on customers ...

Those "incentives" to snitch on customers ...

I had to repost this thread that ambition put up even though it was locked for being video-centric, the issue is very interesting, the video is about way more than just this.

This guy is talking about incentives that electric company employees receive from local police for reporting high energy usage. He says he heard one case where employees were receiving $1000 per report. Those electric company employees were probably jumping through peoples information to find people to report to the police like a fat old bitch hits up one of them instant win lottery machines, except these bitches are actually making money off other people's misfortune.

I'm sure they see it as a very noble thing they're doing though.

Those "incentives" to snitch on customers ... are likely being funded by previous drug raids, in conjunction with criminal & civil asset forfeiture laws.
http://www.fear.org
Dependent upon State and locality, the majority of those funds are coming from the Feds (DEA) or local "drug slush funds". It's all a matter of which LEO has the least restrictions on how those funds get disbursed. In some States, seized assets go into local general funds, while others go directly back to local LEO & DAs. The DEA often has far wider discretion in fund disbursement, so they get invited along on these drug raids.
These "snitch incentives" are not so very different from the big signs that the Department of Homeland Security has had Wal-Mart place prominently in many of their stores, are they?
The War on|of Drugs and the War on|of Terror have joined together -- if you are suspected of breaking the law, any law, you are on "Their" radar as potential "domestic terrorists". There were a few news items published about the many many "Fusion Centers" that were established across the country which provide a regional clearinghouse for LEOs from the Feds, the State, and localities to share gathered intelligence. Anyone who isn't aware of this must have missed the memos, subtle collation of stories posted by Main Stream Media.
Surprise, surprise -- we are living in a police state here in the USA, and it doesn't matter whether the President & Congress are controlled by the Democrats or the Republicans -- the players in control remain the same and the policies remain the same. Your tax dollars, and your seized assets, are being used to help subjugate everyone.

It isn't just "smart meters" -- every citizen can be recruited to help fight this War on|of Terror, and get paid for it. Every State and every locality which is under fiscal distress during these economic times is at some level in collusion with the Feds as a matter of necessity for new revenue streams. The only advice I can offer is that if you are located in MMJ states, be fully compliant with State and local regulations and keep your paperwork in order. And if you are not in a MMJ State, be careful to maintain a good cover story and do everything you can to stay "off Their radar".

teemu shalanie

WeeDGamE StannisBaratheoN
Veteran
I would say of course they are watching , but not a few lights these guys looking for big shows.
If u small time pay ur bill, like a good sheep would.
peace TS

ambition

Those "incentives" to snitch on customers ... are likely being funded by previous drug raids, in conjunction with criminal & civil asset forfeiture laws.
http://www.fear.org
Dependent upon State and locality, the majority of those funds are coming from the Feds (DEA) or local "drug slush funds". It's all a matter of which LEO has the least restrictions on how those funds get disbursed. In some States, seized assets go into local general funds, while others go directly back to local LEO & DAs. The DEA often has far wider discretion in fund disbursement, so they get invited along on these drug raids.
These "snitch incentives" are not so very different from the big signs that the Department of Homeland Security has had Wal-Mart place prominently in many of their stores, are they?
The War on|of Drugs and the War on|of Terror have joined together -- if you are suspected of breaking the law, any law, you are on "Their" radar as potential "domestic terrorists". There were a few news items published about the many many "Fusion Centers" that were established across the country which provide a regional clearinghouse for LEOs from the Feds, the State, and localities to share gathered intelligence. Anyone who isn't aware of this must have missed the memos, subtle collation of stories posted by Main Stream Media.
Surprise, surprise -- we are living in a police state here in the USA, and it doesn't matter whether the President & Congress are controlled by the Democrats or the Republicans -- the players in control remain the same and the policies remain the same. Your tax dollars, and your seized assets, are being used to help subjugate everyone.

It isn't just "smart meters" -- every citizen can be recruited to help fight this War on|of Terror, and get paid for it. Every State and every locality which is under fiscal distress during these economic times is at some level in collusion with the Feds as a matter of necessity for new revenue streams. The only advice I can offer is that if you are located in MMJ states, be fully compliant with State and local regulations and keep your paperwork in order. And if you are not in a MMJ State, be careful to maintain a good cover story and do everything you can to stay "off Their radar".

Awesome information.

The only thing I disagree with is the last sentence. If you are not in a med state, gtfo and go to one.:)