What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Snype's Guide To RDWC - Part 2 - Featuring BYTCH & 4,000 Watts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snype

Veteran
Hi Snype, I just finished assembling the 4 bucket system. Can you tell me how many gallons does it take?

Congratulations on your build! If you followed the directions and used the exact same pots, it takes roughly 15 gallons for the 4 plants system. You want the water to be directly below the net pot without the water touching the pot. The best thing to do to measure water is to take an empty bucket and a gallon of water or a gallon of something empty. Fill up the gallon and then put 4 gallons of water into your empty bucket. How many of those buckets or gallons will your system hold? Only you will know that answer to that because of how level or unleveled your floor is.

maryjane481

Hi Snype, thanks for your swift response. I did follow your instructions. 15 gals. It is.
I have a photo, but I need to learn how to upload a photo. Thanks so much for your generosity.

maryjane481

Snype, a photo!

picture.php

Snype

Veteran
do you do anything for odor control? what have you found works best for odor control?

I don't use anything to control odor. All that I can say is that it stinks real bad. I used to use an Ozone (O3) when I lived in the city and would exhaust it out of the house. It smelled like burning plastic. I'd probably go the carbon route if I was worried. Sorry I can't help further.

captinahab

Snype.. This is sooo close to my style of gardening.. I fell in love with the hydroton rocks (balls) about 8 years ago.. I use them from start to finish.. Except when starting seeds.. Love that you can reuse it.. Still haven't figured out an easy way to clean out all the roots at the end.. ;) It takes a long process of straining em out.. Its a long process to get your balls clean :) lmao.. I absolutely love your style of thread.. I'm pulling up a chair. Love & Light~ DJSF

I tried the oven but it just made the house reak of steaming root. It is not a good smell..I put them on a baking sheet out in the sun in a single layer. It dries the roots up to powder. All the little root particals shrink to nothing.Then i throw them in the tub and run them thru strainers.

dj.scotfree

I tried the oven but it just made the house reak of steaming root. It is not a good smell..I put them on a baking sheet out in the sun in a single layer. It dries the roots up to powder. All the little root particals shrink to nothing.Then i throw them in the tub and run them thru strainers.

LOL... I have tried the exact same thing.. the house smelled like roots or a like cave... yep.. I just let the roots dry out a bit.. to a powder.. and strain.. couple beers and spliffs.. its a process.. We must be doing it right... ;) Good looking out~ Love & Light~ DJSF

TerpeneTom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Snype, I can't locate your other thread so I am going to ask here: do you alter the flower light/dark duration? I know you mentioned lowering the light intensity - thus lowering temperature - which improved the quality of your flowers. Since you are essentially mimicking nature via the ballasts, do you think it would then be advantageous to also change the length of the light/dark cycle?

Thanks.

Snype

Veteran
Hey Snype, I can't locate your other thread so I am going to ask here: do you alter the flower light/dark duration? I know you mentioned lowering the light intensity - thus lowering temperature - which improved the quality of your flowers. Since you are essentially mimicking nature via the ballasts, do you think it would then be advantageous to also change the length of the light/dark cycle?

Thanks.

Specifically for Chemdog Double Diesel, I start flowering at 12 hours of darkness under all 1000 watt Hortilux's.

At day 42 of flowering, I turn down the lights to 750 watts and I'm still at 12 hours of darkness.

At day 50 of flowering, I change the light cycle to 12.5 hours of dark and 11.5 hour of light.

On day 53 of flowering, I go to 13 hours of dark and 11 hours of light and I'm still at 750 watts for each light.

On day 58 of flowering, I turn down all the lights to 600 watts.

On day 62 of flowering, I change the light cycle to 14 hours of dark and 10 hours of light.

Remember that your strains will be different than mine. You will have to tweak your techniques for your own crops and conditions.

If you listen to your EC / PPM meter, you'll know when to turn down the lights because you'll see that the plants can't eat as much as they did in peak flowering. If they can't eat as well as in peak flowering, they will also use less light.

Jay1Dawg

Just locked in your threads . Trying to design a vertical rdwc stacked and just do more plant. Root 2 day veg flower.
Any ideas ?

MagniKhan

Veteran
Hope things have mellowed a bit for you.
For what it's worth, a while ago I read most of your writings here, even engaged some bone heads months ago with you in a thread gone wrong. I have challenged myself to learn and know more about pest control, it's made a difference. I agree using AVID and other systematic pesticides is just plain lazy to put it nicely.

Since putting a weekly regiment of one of the three natural pesticides I really had everything under control. I include Neem in the three items, but hell I used that shit everyday....somethings looks funny put some neem on it, if it moves put some neem on it, if it smells put some neem on it, something files over the Coco bin put some neem on it....you get the point.
Steam rot during the "funky" time of the year here in the MUGGY south is distant memory. The steams fucking love the Neem!

I have been fighting "the borg" recently but they are well under control. In a perpetual grow that is not easy without breaking down. I've noticed The Neem recipe I use is the deadliest for contact killing, with the wetting agent it gets more of the leaf then pyrethrin sprays (at lest in the can, I'll be getting some concentrate to mix myself today).

Best Wishes, Be Safe,
MK:ying:

Snype

Veteran
Just locked in your threads . Trying to design a vertical rdwc stacked and just do more plant. Root 2 day veg flower.
Any ideas ?

I've had some ideas for a while for vertical systems but haven't built any of the prototypes yet. The best idea that would be the easiest would be to build one of my systems that are in the RDWC Construction Tutorial and just make the back manifold longer. So there will still be 2 rows of buckets. Eventually I'll build and test the prototypes and include them in the Construction Thread.

Hope things have mellowed a bit for you.
For what it's worth, a while ago I read most of your writings here, even engaged some bone heads months ago with you in a thread gone wrong. I have challenged myself to learn and know more about pest control, it's made a difference. I agree using AVID and other systematic pesticides is just plain lazy to put it nicely.

Since putting a weekly regiment of one of the three natural pesticides I really had everything under control. I include Neem in the three items, but hell I used that shit everyday....somethings looks funny put some neem on it, if it moves put some neem on it, if it smells put some neem on it, something files over the Coco bin put some neem on it....you get the point.
Steam rot during the "funky" time of the year here in the MUGGY south is distant memory. The steams fucking love the Neem!

I have been fighting "the borg" recently but they are well under control. In a perpetual grow that is not easy without breaking down. I've noticed The Neem recipe I use is the deadliest for contact killing, with the wetting agent it gets more of the leaf then pyrethrin sprays (at lest in the can, I'll be getting some concentrate to mix myself today).

Best Wishes, Be Safe,
MK:ying:

That sucks that you are fighting Spider Mites. When I have problems I use Neem Oil for most mites but for Thrips I use Spinosad. It's hard to talk about the dangers of all those other poisons because a lot of other members here don't share those opinions and it ends up derailing most threads so I just try and stay out of those topics. Getting rid of all of the Spider Mites with Neem Oil a lot of work if you have multiple rooms. I'll spray every 3 days for at least 5 treatments and if the plants are small enough to dunk I'll dunk full plants in a 5 gallon bucket.

There's a member on IC named ozzieAI who has some good threads on Neem Oil. Here's one of his quotes:

"The best advice I can give is: PURE Neem Oil is systemic add 5ml/litre (with emulsifier) to your water once a week and your plants roots will take it up. This will protect your plant from most bugs indoors and out and will also condition your soil giving you a better plant all round."

He has some good threads on the subject in his signature if anyone is interested.

Catatafish

Veteran
MK using Neem like its 'tussin. Lol! got a scraped knee.....put some neem on it, sore throat....neem it.

Very nice.

Snype

Veteran
Day 10 VEG-A
I'm ready to go into VEG-B but I'm juggling many things. Hopefully I can get them into the RDWC systems tomorrow. Nothing has changed and I'm still flooding every hour. I keep adding back nutrients to keep the systems at 700 PPM. I use 1 part Micro to 1.5 parts Bloom for VEG-A. For VEG-B and Flowering I use 1 part Micro to 2 parts Bloom. I don't use any additives or bloom boosters at any time. Only Micro and Bloom the entire crop. Look at how fast and great roots look when they are hanging instead of sitting on the tray:
picture.php

Jay1Dawg

Oh yeah . Had,already looked at your designs what got me interested in rdwc but would there be awater flow problEm?

Snype

Veteran
Oh yeah . Had,already looked at your designs what got me interested in rdwc but would there be awater flow problEm?

It would basically be the same system as the rest of them but the manifold would just be made longer so that the rows of buckets have enough space between the row to fit your lights. The in-line manifolds you can make any size that you want. You custom build it to your specifications. There would be no water flow problems.

Blazeee

Veteran
Hey Snype, Ive been reading your other threads over the past few days and your making me want to make the switch from soil to rdwc.
I just want to thank you for posting all this data up and i am going to be following this thread very closely, Im glad Ive got here just in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts