What's new

Snow High Seeds' Double Acapulco Gold

herblux

Awesome! Post pics if you are able.

I started them all in 2 gallon fabric pots. I was going to transplant them into 7gallon pots, but they were out of that size at the grow shop. So, I went with ten gallon. The big tall plant would have been better in a five maybe to reduce its growth a bit, but so far it is working out. I hope she stops growing real soon though. Otherwise, I'll have to bend her down.

I hear that BSHW is really nice!

Hempy McNoodle thank you! Ok you have them in relatively large pots, as restricted to space. I heard they are a little sensitive to stress, so hoping I won't get the to herm too much/too many.
How are they doing? Mine are just starting, nothing to show just yet, but will do.

PS: That large female is a beauty!

Hempy McNoodle

Greetings All, I have been meaning to do an update and now that the flowers are really becoming 'something to look at,' Now is a good time. I took some pics and resized them so I can post and here we are Double Acapulco Gold at 9.5 weeks of flower. The other day I reduced the photoperiod to 11 on / 13 off.

031.JPG
020.JPG
023.JPG

Hempy McNoodle

The seeds are all mature and some have dropped and I've collected them up and am drying them. The buds seem to fill out from the bottom up. I gotta tell you all, I love having my closet full of these Acapulco Gold buds! They are starting to be resinous and have a very nice smell that is hard to place but sort of lemon-skunk-fuel. Just delightful plants!

Hempy McNoodle

Hempy McNoodle thank you! Ok you have them in relatively large pots, as restricted to space. I heard they are a little sensitive to stress, so hoping I won't get the to herm too much/too many.
How are they doing? Mine are just starting, nothing to show just yet, but will do.

PS: That large female is a beauty!

Thanks herblux! :tiphat:...she sure is! her best buds seem to be right at eye level, too! Yeah, you will definately want to do better at managing their size if your space is limited. I gave them three weeks of veg too. I haven't noticed any stress or hermies from stress. I think the hermie male was genetic as the plant seemed very happy as did the rest. Keep us updated and I'm wishing you the best luck with them! Pics if you can!

Hempy McNoodle

Very nice and authentic looking sativa. Well done.
Are those lights Optic 1's or something else?

Thank you Chi! :tiphat: Yeah, Optic 1XLs with the 120 degree lenses and up top in the middle is an LED spotlight plant grow bulb from home depot that was $50. It has a specrum changing switch and is actually a great little bulb for smaller plants and is doing a little supplementation in this grow. This configuration works out well for the height differences. The top of the big plant is just shy of 9' tall. I never thought anything like this was possible in a closet! I've been very happy with the Optic 1XLs!

Hempy McNoodle

I will say I was wrong about saying they looked liked hybrids. What about those stocky males? Did you keep any of them?

No, very regretfully, I made a hasty decision and got rid of them before their pollen dropped because I had convinced myself that they were mixed with some kind of indica or something. The wider leaved one had some nice smells (black licorice) and the narrow-leaved short male had a fantastic structure. The male I kept was very similar to my tall female, but he ended up being a hermaphrodite and produced many female flowers. I went ahead and open polinated with him. I am optimistic that I will find non-hermy plants in the seeds I produce, but I wont know for sure until I can flower some. I am thinking about popping a few off to the side of this current grow. Something similar happened with Colombian Gold 72 last year and I was only able to use the pollen from a hermy male (because he was the only male of the batch. So, I will need to flower some of those someday as well.

Has anyone here ever pollinated their females with only a hermie male? If so, did the seeds produce any non-herms?

RingtailCanyon

I was just re reading dj shorts infamous writing’s about it.
He says using the males that turn female
late almost always guarantee against hermaphrodites in the subsequent generations. And a higher female to male ratios.
I’m guessing those males to females are really females.

Hempy McNoodle

I was just re reading dj shorts infamous writing’s about it.
He says using the males that turn female
late almost always guarantee against hermaphrodites in the subsequent generations. And a higher female to male ratios.
I’m guessing those males to females are really females.

That's great news! Although, this male didn't turn female 'late.' The male flowers showed first but the flowers were nearly 55%male and 45% female by the time the male flowers were ready to open and release pollen. But, that is very encouraging to read. Thanks!

Wolverine97

Veteran
Old thread, but those plants look like what you would expect from an f2 generation... no bueno.
The intersex male thing appears to be legit though, the logic being that in all populations there are some degree of hermaphrodite plants. You want to select toward the populations where the females don't tend to go hermie, but males do, as those gene pools are strongly female from an overall dna standpoint. So by doing that, you're weeding out famale/male hermie traits.

Hempy McNoodle

Greetings All, :tiphat:

This thread is long overdue for an update. Things are going great with the three plants. We are now in week 18 since flipping the lights to 12/12 and I think it is about 14-15 weeks in from when flowers first appeared. I am now finishing them up at 10on/14off. This seems to have been a big help as they seemed not to be maturing much after a while at 11/13. The only obstacle so far is the giant size if the middle plant. I can''t move things around and the light distance is not ideal, but all things considered, I'm happy with it. around week 16-17 pollen flowers started to show up, both male and female, but there aren't very many young pistils for them to pollenate so, I'm not tripping about them. I am actually very excited to see if I can get some feminized seeds out of her. The plant is ripening from the middle outward. so, most of the foliage is now gone. This is great as it looks like there will not be much trimming necessary at all. The buds that are closest to the light seem to be able to handle extreme intensity that would bleach out other plants. These buds are the densest and plumpest on the plant and are turning a very beautiful pale straw color. Seeds have been dropping and I've been collecting them and many of them look female (perfectly round detachment point at the bottom). Soon I will be able to grow them out and test the seed gender theory a little further. The other two plants are interesting. One, I call the 'Medusa' plant because it's main colas is a viny mess and looks like medusa. The lower branches are almost ready to harvest and look like the most resinous in this grow. The last plant has a main colas that is the size of my leg. It has a strange over all shape, branchy at the bottom and then a giant missile looking colas. This plant has purple-red (magenta) stems. The gold plant is getting beautiful red and magenta colors on stems as well. Pics soon to follow!

Latest posts

Latest posts