What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Snow High Seeds' Double Acapulco Gold

Hempy McNoodle

So, far most of the seedlings look like this

001.JPG

But, one looks like this
003.JPG

I'll almost certainly be culling this one in a few days. The 9th seed never emerged from the soil and I dug in and found that the tap root had died.
The remaining seven look pretty great with four individuals standing out above the rest as far as being robust and vigorus in growth and stature.

RingtailCanyon

there's a good chance that seedling will be normal, but may take longer to straighten up. I just grew a bunch of seedlings and had a runt or 2 like yours that are doing great now. skinny leaves is a good sign with these old lines.
thanks for documenting.🍿

Humple W.

Hello Humple W! I'm curious, what is the MOB backcross?

M.O.B. is Mountain Organics Botanicals. They just released a backcross of their 40 year old Acapulco Gold mother plant (the story is that this cut has floated around the San Diego area for decades), using their strain called "Maya" for the father plant, which is the AG mom crossed with another of their cultivars. Supposed to be a 13-16 weeker.

Hempy McNoodle

We are about 10 days into this grow and I thought I'd give a little update. I have culled two deformed seedlings. This leaves me with a total of six 'keepers.' They look great after their first feeding of worm castings tea with blood meal. I had one Phylos gender test kit and have decided to use it for my four best specimens just to give me an early glimps at what I've got and also to see if my gender ID trick has been successful. So, hopefully I'll have those results soon. BTW, these seeds came with some freebees called Big Mountain Gold. Has anyone ever grown these?

Here are the two that I decided to cull.
003.JPG

001.JPG

Hempy McNoodle

Greetings All! :tiphat:

We are now 18 days into growing this crop and I think an update is in order.

I have some news on the genders of some of these plants, as I used a Phylos Gender test kit that I had sitting around. Unfortunately, I was only able to test my four best specimens, leaving two unsexed. So, my visual sex determination was highly inaccurate with this crop. I guessed 3 out of 4, incorrectly. This makes me think that the remaining two plants might be opposite of my attempted guesswork. So, the original video in which I learned of the technique may apply to this cultivar (as opposed to the opposite, which has been close to 100% successful for me with other cultivars). So, what I have are 1 nice tall male which I will refer to as 'male1', a nice tall female which I will refer to as 'female1', a nice short wide-leaved male 'male2', a short wide leaved female 'female2', and two unsexed short wrinkly-leaved plants. I am surprised to see how wide the leaves are on some of these. I am rather inexperienced with true old school sativa landraces and sub-tropical sativas in general. I grew a durban 70s last year and the leaves were very narrow from the start. So, are the leaves on these Snow High AGs fairly normal for a mexican sativa? Or, are they indicative of polluted genetics or hybridization? I am also concerned by the fact that the wide-leaved plants are much shorter than the two tall plants.

I would appreciate your thoughts!

Here is the group together. I have the males in the back and females in the front. The two plants on the right are the wrinkly leaved unsexed specimens.

Click image for larger version  Name:	001.JPG Views:	2 Size:	216.0 KB ID:	17881784

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
The elusive Snow High Acapulco Gold in pictures! Should be interesting.

Who knows if Oaxacan and Guerrero buds were all sold as Acapulco gold, maybe? Probably even. There are several different kinds of golds, reds and greens grown in both states. This is one that someone saw worthy of preserving. If it's what they claim it to be then it's pretty unique in itself. A time machine of a strain :lurk::bandit::shooty:

Hempy McNoodle

I hope it is authentic. The wide leaved plants do seem to be producing narrower leaves as they grow. I'm hoping folks will chime in and give their thoughts and experiences with growing mexican or central american sativas. Do some plants have very wide leaves in the early stages of vegetative growth?

RingtailCanyon

The leaves are fairly broad but they don't look too different from Guerrero x blueberry. the leaflets aren't overlapping. they should be the classic thin leaf once mature. some do look a little stressed with the serrations pointing up.

Last edited: