What's new

Snake Kills Man

dasher65

The snake that killed a power company worker in central Queensland is one of the deadliest on the planet, an expert says.

Ergon Energy crew leader Andrew Vaughan, 57, and two co-workers were trying to find a path to a power pole in thick scrub at Yeppoon when he was bitten last Thursday.

Ergon's Peter Billing told AAP the men were talking but could not see each other through thick lantana.

He said Mr Vaughan's colleagues knew something was wrong when he stopped answering them and his mobile phone rang out.
"As soon as contact was lost they raised the alarm," Mr Billing said.
Ergon Energy hired a helicopter to search for Mr Vaughan alongside police and SES workers.

He was reported missing about 2.30pm (AEST) and was found more than three hours later about 60 metres away from where the men were originally working.

The 57-year-old father had worked for Ergon for more than 20 years.
Mr Billing said it had been confirmed Mr Vaughan was bitten by a taipan and is believed to have died almost instantly.

His funeral will be held in Yeppoon on Friday.
"He was a well loved and highly respected gentleman and ... we expect there'll be a large turnout," Mr Billing said.

Dr Andrew Amey, from the Queensland Museum, said only one person is know to have survived a taipan bite without being given antivenom.

"There's all sorts of ways of ranking how dangerous snakes are, but the inland taipan has the most toxic venom of any snake known," Dr Amey told AAP.
"And the coastal taipan, which is the species which would have bitten this man, is not too far behind."

Taipans are now on the move as the weather warms and the males go in search of a mate.

Dr Amey said they are found throughout inland Queensland and right along the coast.
"Our museum records show they have been caught as far south as Canungra in the Gold Coast hinterland.

"Generally snakes will retreat if they can, and that is the case with the taipan, but it does have the reputation of being more active in defending itself if it feels threatened."

The only person ever to survive a taipan bite without antivenom was a pastor, George Rosendale, who was bitten in 1949 at the age of 19 as he sorted timber near a church at Hopevale, near Cooktown, in far north Queensland.
He lost consciousness after 15 minutes and was taken 50km to Cooktown on the back of a truck.
A visiting doctor on holiday from Victoria treated him, and despite pronouncing him dead four times, managed to repeatedly revive him.
He was taken to Cairns Hospital where he recovered after about two weeks, but he lost his sense of taste for six months and turned grey at 21.

Our native snakes and spiders are the deadliest in the world...sharks so fucking big and mean they'll eat you alive...drop bears that'll rip your flesh off your bones and eat it...
:gday::gday:
Visit Australia...great place to die!!! But our weed is great!!!

S

SeaMaiden

Good Lord, great place to die is it. I wonder if taipan bites are as painless as rattlesnake bites.

dasher65

Good Lord, great place to die is it. I wonder if taipan bites are as painless as rattlesnake bites.

Dunno...few have lived to tell!!!

Seriously though...we live in a beautiful country filled with amazingly unique animals but we also have species of creatures considered the most deadliest on the planet.

Strangely we wear it as a badge of pride.

From taipans to tiger snakes, redback spiders to funnel webs, blue ring octopus to box jellyfish...not to mention saltwater crocodiles and great white sharks we have it all...

BT...great to see you back on deck...hope all is well

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Hey dasher ,
did u see the report of the fella that died in the desert the other day,
only took a few hours after leaving the car they say ,
bit hot and dry it seems ...
his mate was lucky to survive ...

Rumblefish

Hey dasher ,

What a tragedy that was,if those fella's stayed with the car and waited for help that young fella would likely be alive today,half a tank of fuel would run your air con all day and give you at least 2 liter's off drinkable water from the air con unit,the desert is so unforgiving .
with regard's to our beautiful snakes we have
More than 20 people die each year in Australia from horse riding related accidents. Less than 2 a year die from a snakebite.
The deadliest of all Australian creatures, responsible for an average of 10 deaths per year, is the European Honey Bee, which can induce anaphylactic shock in some people.
Scuba diving causes 8 deaths a year here in Australia.
Don’t even get me started on road traffic deaths!
So, you are statistically more likely to die going horse riding or scuba-diving, by being struck by lightning or stung by a bee or wasp or by simply getting about in a car.
The worst countries in the world for snake deaths are Sri Lanka and India, followed by South Africa, Africa and then the USA. Yes, the USA has a higher death rate from snake bites per year than Australia. If you have ever travelled to America, has anyone ever said to you “oh my God! What about the snakes?”

I don’t think so.

N

noyd666

:biggrin: hi, you forgot our dangerous' trees' they are allways killing houses, they dont like humans to much, and they like to fall on cars.:blowbubbles:

brotherindica

Kronically Ill
Veteran

Inland Taipan bites are incredibly neurotoxic. Unique compared to most snake venoms, this one actually permanently damages pre-synaptic neurons. Even anti-venom treatment can't reverse some effects, but stop respiratory paralysis/death. Not very painful though. Mr. Vaughn likely had difficulty breathing and quickly passed out before going into respiratory failure. Not a great way to go, but there are far, far worse ways to die.

Just an FYI, most rattlesnake bites are very painful. With the exception of the Northern Pacific Rattlesnake, almost all rattlesnake venom is hemo & cytotoxic. Often producing massive tissue damage, incredible clotting which leads to incredible bleeding. The whole ordeal is just nasty.

Sorry, 4SD has me rambling.......:biggrin:

sso

Veteran
those spiders and whatnot probably explains the manliness of australian men, that and how feminine the women are.

"save me crocodile dundee, there is a spider in my bathtub."

"crikey, better bring me machete."

though personally, id just remodeled the bathroom after saying "honey, bring me the flamethrower, im going in."

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
though personally, id just remodeled the bathroom after saying "honey, bring me the flamethrower, im going in."

As a kid, I always found my mom's Aquanet (hair spray) and a match to be a very effective tool.

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Man's best friend kills more people year in and year out than any other animal wild or not.

Of course snakes are creepy and trigger deep fears and emotions that we honed while we were still swinging from trees and learning how to walk upright.

R.Fortune

H

hard rain

More than 20 people die each year in Australia from horse riding related accidents. Less than 2 a year die from a snakebite.
Thanks for putting that into perspective. It is sad for anyone to die like that but he was extremely unlucky. Incidents like this often bring out the nutters wanting to kill every snake on sight.

:tiphat:

N

noyd666

killed a few of the bastards', tiger snake down the shack, inside in summer after water, porch area, put new screen door up quick ,shotty going off in house is good loud noise. blew a snake hole up with explosive stuff a few times, snakes next to were you are carring pots is a bit scary. had kids come inside saying dad snakes in boat shed, 5to 6 feet, these bastards stand up and will chase you lol.i have stood on top of tranni on tractor, looking down at big tigers,pushed old wood boat out one day into bay, mate said lookout,lol fukin snake up and over side phew, ive seen em swim in salt water no prob,dive down and go in hole. gone for toke.

Terroir

Geez he went down fast didnt he.

yepoon is taipan central.

Friend lives at 1770. He takes a gun to the toilet with him during the night. His bathroom floor has a lot of holes.

Noyd. The trees are the creepiest arent they. Widow makers. When the winds up i am always thinking about it.

dasher65

Hey dasher ,

Indeed a tragedy, Don. sadly they broke all the rules...always report where you're going, which route you're taking and when you expect to arrive to the relevant authorities. Make sure you've got plenty of water for all and NEVER, NEVER leave the car if you break down.

I was doing an antenna job for an english lady (pom sheila!!!) when I noticed she was moving old roof tiles bare-handed. I alerted her to red-back spider dangers (a relative of black widows). Well...should have seen her face when, two more tiles on, was a big, fat reddy!!!

She had no idea we had such dangerous creatures in our back yards. I then alerted her the probability of brown snakes across the road in the reserve come summertime...she SHAT herself!!!

We just take it all in our stride

Now...those drop bears are a different matter...

dasher65

:biggrin: hi, you forgot our dangerous' trees' they are allways killing houses, they dont like humans to much, and they like to fall on cars.:blowbubbles:

Too bloody right!!! The last thing to go through your brain when a 10tonne gum falls on you is your arse!!!

Seriously campers...if you visit down under never pitch a tent under a gum tree. They're notorious for dropping branches without warning.

S

SeaMaiden

Is a gum tree aka eucalyptus? We have these pines that make HUGE pine cones up here (my granddaughter calls them paincones, apt name) and you've got to be careful not to park your car under them or you could get your windshield smashed. Not as bad as coconuts, I remember seeing a young man get dinged in the noggin by a coconut coming off the tree in Puerto Rico when I was a kid. He DROPPED. Just dropped, like a rag doll. Coco fresco my ASS! watch the skies!
What a tragedy that was,if those fella's stayed with the car and waited for help that young fella would likely be alive today,half a tank of fuel would run your air con all day and give you at least 2 liter's off drinkable water from the air con unit,the desert is so unforgiving .
The deadliest of all Australian creatures, responsible for an average of 10 deaths per year, is the European Honey Bee, which can induce anaphylactic shock in some people.
Scuba diving causes 8 deaths a year here in Australia.
Don’t even get me started on road traffic deaths!
So, you are statistically more likely to die going horse riding or scuba-diving, by being struck by lightning or stung by a bee or wasp or by simply getting about in a car.
The worst countries in the world for snake deaths are Sri Lanka and India, followed by South Africa, Africa and then the USA. Yes, the USA has a higher death rate from snake bites per year than Australia. If you have ever travelled to America, has anyone ever said to you “oh my God! What about the snakes?”

I don’t think so.
I used to ride and show horses [check], been stung by more bees and wasps than I can remember [check], stung by lionfish [check], and been rearended on my motorcycle (now there's a statistic!) [check]. I am not a risktaker, I swear to God!

The last bit is most likely attributable to those folks who handle rattlers as part of their religion, I'm thinking. I'm sure it's not because of the rattlesnake round-ups in Texas, hell, they're selecting out for non-rattling rattlesnakes!

Truly, the snakes you've gotta watch out for here are walking on two legs, look just like you and me.
Inland Taipan bites are incredibly neurotoxic. Unique compared to most snake venoms, this one actually permanently damages pre-synaptic neurons. Even anti-venom treatment can't reverse some effects, but stop respiratory paralysis/death. Not very painful though. Mr. Vaughn likely had difficulty breathing and quickly passed out before going into respiratory failure. Not a great way to go, but there are far, far worse ways to die.

Just an FYI, most rattlesnake bites are very painful. With the exception of the Northern Pacific Rattlesnake, almost all rattlesnake venom is hemo & cytotoxic. Often producing massive tissue damage, incredible clotting which leads to incredible bleeding. The whole ordeal is just nasty.

Sorry, 4SD has me rambling.......:biggrin:

I've only been bitten the one time (by a rattler), and am not keen to have a go at it again, but I was bitten by a unique rattler--the Mojave green rattlesnake. Neurotoxic and hemotoxic, for all intents and purposes pretty much zero myotoxicity. I have all digits, lost absolutely *no* flesh. Lost my sense of smell totally for six months, now have a reduced sense of smell (no one told me about losing my sense of smell).

I learned to catch & release rattlers when I was in high school, btw. When I was bitten I was still actively employed in aquatic/exotic ornamental import/export trade and by then had handled hundreds, if not thousands of snakes, so I felt comfortable handling this snake. We would have been fine had I not become distracted. I have been bitten by many, many other snakes, too. All others were constrictors (fortunately I've never pissed off a krait so much it felt the need to ding me), and I can assure you that compared to a constrictor bite, especially a large constrictor, the rattlesnake bite was a love bite. It didn't even hurt as badly (the initial bite, I'm not talking about the aftereffects of the venom) as being stuck by a sewing needle, certainly nowhere nearly as bad as being stuck by a yucca point.

Nothing hurt until they made me take off the tourniquet. Then, oh man, it was like a horrible, horrible drug trip. Still though, I think I'd rather be like my former brother-in-law, Mikey, and die doing something I love (referring back to statistics on common causes of death).

The one that actually scares me is the box jellyfish. I love the water, love scuba, dearly want to visit Australia but God damn, you can't even safely dip your toe in the water, and I understand the box jelly stings are SCREAMINGLY painful, like being burned. I was a little afraid of trying to handle the blue ring octopuses when they were brought in through the trade, but they're so smart! If you just handle them very carefully and gently they were generally pretty cool. I have no idea if they're still imported to the US.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You never know when an animal will strike...

This rattler was in the hall way of our house evening ,it was summer and we had the doors open. Babba walked into the kitchen and stepped on it, it didnt bite him,not sure how it didnt!!
:biggrin:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
not sure on that last pic ,
i remember it well and have same picture on computer somewhere,
but the story wasnt the same ,, nor the country ,,
the story i read said it was in australia,
and on a sheep farm ,
and thats a sheep inside , not a man ,,
but who knows ...

Latest posts