What's new

Smokin & Fishin

If I'm going to keep them, I cut them and gut them quickly. In all honesty its not one of those "humane" things so much for me as its to keep them from flopping around and possibly escaping before I can cook them.

SC

G

Smokin' Chopper said:
If I'm going to keep them, I cut them and gut them quickly. In all honesty its not one of those "humane" things so much for me as its to keep them from flopping around and possibly escaping before I can cook them.

SC

why wouldn't you just chop the head off? i could only assume that would be some what humane.

Insomniac

A swift blow to the head is how I kill. I am mainly a catch and release kinda guy, but if I get a big one I'll keep it. I went today, the largest I caught was a 16" brown trout.

G

Fishin' for smallies with a head full of good weed is awesome - two of my fave things together.

I have a river 30 minutes away that is full of 1 to 2 pound bronzebacks. Light tackle and river current make for some damn fine fighting - and the aerial displays are freakin' amazing.

A buddy has a cottage waaay up north, that is full of smalls and some lake trout. We have fished for hours, and caught 50 - 100 smallies. All go back - catch and release, barbs bent back on hooks.

ws

I slice the gills upon hitting the shore and let them bleed out.
Then I gut and behead.
Now that I have kids, lake trout seems to be a little more fun....but most of my fishin has been commercial$$$. Ive probably caught more fish in 1 hour then most people will ever see in a lifetime.
I do still enjoy pulling in a silver salmon(coho)out of the water once every year. And every year I also try to get at least one 50 lb king salmon out of the kenai river. Red salmon can be a bit more elusive and finicky to catch....but by far the best of the 5 salmon species to eat and fight.
On anchor watch dropping a handline over the boat is always fun. Halibut can be fun....its just like pulling up 5 sheets of fighting plywood.

Oh yes....and anything ive caught out of the ocean or rivers in the last 13 years....you can count on it that I was stoned outta my mind.

G

Anybody ever gone flyfishing? I want to try it and am wondering what y'all pros think of it.

Dan42nepa

I dont keep any fish anymore.. When I was younger we would camp at the trout stream and I may keep 1 or 2 for dinner. Nothing like fresh trout cooked over the fire wrapped in foil with bacon inside and butter outside. Our trout stream was a few miles from the delaware river so we could catch the may shad run also. Fish for trout in the morning, swap spools for 6 lb test and fish for shad in the afternoon. Shad are alot of fun, especially using a light pole and reel. They have a wide flat profile and get pretty big and catching them while they fight the current.. well, it could take 20 minutes to land one and my wrist would be sore afterwards.. I would love to do that again but i am too lazy these days i guess.

AmishFarmer

^^^^ Yea, Dan42,I'm amazed how much the rivers around here are cleaning up.The shad fishing on the Delaware is getting better and better.Even down in Philly they are catching all kinds of fish in the Delaware.The Schuylkill River is even better in the city.I fish the Schuylkill alot myself,not down in the city though.I go around Pottstown alot and it is unbelivable smallie fishing.It is great to see that alot of us enjoy the combo.As far as the negative nelly and the comments about being mean to the fish,If it wasn't for all the fisherman and hunters(I'm not one myself) paying all of the liscense fees and all the other things we do to help the outdoors,I'm not sure that it would be there for everyone else to enjoy.Smallies + Skunk #1 = :woohoo:

Dan42nepa

Amish... didnt realize but guess it makes sense you are from PA. I fish the susquehanna for smallmouths. Local streams for trout. I have yet to have a smallie swallow my bait. They tend to hold it in their mouth and carry it until you set the hook and freeze when you grab the lower jaw.. Its easy to remove the hook and let them go and i dont think it causes any trauma. Trout on the other hand do swallow the bait but am always careful with them and never handle them excessively and cut the line if they swallow the hook. I do alot more bass fishing than trout fishing these days because i am lazy and the river is so close. I have had people out west laugh at PA when i mention trout fishing but there are several small streams close to me with native brookies and they are very spooky. I would put a 10 inch native against a 16 inch stocked trout for fight.. especially with ultralite gear. Thats why i like smallies, they fight similar to trout even with their jumps out of the water.. I love fishing.. it wakes me up every spring.

G

C&R rulez :D

11878okon_31.jpg

G

Theres nothing like fishing for grouper in a blockhead stupor.I love bass fishing down here in the lakes but the monsters are 20-40 miles out

W

WeldFlash420

I too live down by the SUSsie River here in PA, and love the fiishing but over the last few yrs something has been taking out all the bass. Its definitely not the way it used to be. ONly once have I ever been snagged up by the fish and game commision for supposedly smoking pot, they were in the trees watching me with binocs...anyways they wanted to search me but I opened my tackle box and said see there isnt anything there and told them I never smoked pot in my life. And said I was leaving, they said they could detain me and I said go ahead and try too. I'm quite the large fellow and they thought twice about it I guess. Cuz I walked off thanking God they didnt search me as I had a half an O sticking right up out of my jcket pocket and they never saw it. But hell yeah I love to fish for trout smallies and largemouth in ponds and lakes, and staying totally stoned while doin so. Also theres a fair amount of muskies up our way in the river, just never had the good fortune of catching any but they're in there alright cuz I've seen am along the banks.

Last edited:
R

Rifman

im fortunate enuff to live in northern scandinavia, by the north atlantic coast. which is heaven for anyone whos interrested in fishing. we catch 20kilo cod and bigger regularly here. allso we have some of the best salmon rivers anywhere in the world. the mountains around here are absolutely full of lakes which contains wild brown trout and arctic char (that beautiful red bellyed fish in the salmon family)

the salmon, charr and trout are pelagic species which migrate up the rivers to breed at just about this time of year, huge schools of fish are moving right now. the salmon season starts 15th of june, while the mountain lakes are allways legal to fish and most often free. there are thousands of easily accessible trout lakes and rivers, and you pass salmon rivers just about every 10 mins. some are world famous and fishermen come from all over the world to fish for that 20kilo salmon, which you can hardly find anywhere else. these are quite large water systems, and you'd need a river boat to efficiently fish. there loads of smaller rivers which allso contains salmon of smaller size, a 20kg salmon is not a good food-fish about 3-6kgs is perfect.

ive spent a large part of my life in these mountains, hundreds of nights in tents actually, icefishing in the winter. its not far from true if i say fishing and smoking IS my life. 15th of june is christmas newyearseve and my birthday times a hundred to me. mby ill post some pics later if im successfull this year, you never know those damn fish are tricky.

until then.. happy tokings and gl with whatever fish you are hunting atm :wave: :wave:

Dan42nepa

WeldFlash420 said:
I too live down by the SUSsie River here in PA, and love the fiishing but over the last few yrs something has been taking out all the bass. Its definitely not the way it used to be. ONly once have I ever been snagged up by the fish and game commision for supposedly smoking pot, they were in the trees watching me with binocs...anyways they wanted to search me but I opened my tackle box and said see there isnt anything there and told them I never smoked pot in my life. And said I was leaving, they said they could detain me and I said go ahead and try too. I'm quite the large fellow and they thought twice about it I guess. Cuz I walked off thanking God they didnt search me as I had a half an O sticking right up out of my jcket pocket and they never saw it. But hell yeah I love to fish for trout smallies and largemouth in ponds and lakes, and staying totally stoned while doin so. Also theres a fair amount of muskies up our way in the river, just never had the good fortune of catching any but they're in there alright cuz I've seen am along the banks.

Did you try it lately? I know what you mean, the river changes yearly.. a few years ago i was killing them.. then it slowed down but this year seems great. I already caught alot of rock bass and several decent size smallies. My area is good for walleye also but i dont have a boat so hard to fish for them from shore.

W

WeldFlash420

Walleye fishing in the early spring right at Three mile island is bangin! I love to do some jiggin for walleye in the early spring. The spawn is on and they bite anything near em. NO I havent been out this yr on the river yet. Last yr depressed me so bad I havent been to quick to head back there. I've been doin alot of trout fishing up on CLarks creek and Stoney Creek.

Dan42nepa

WeldFlash420 said:
Walleye fishing in the early spring right at Three mile island is bangin! I love to do some jiggin for walleye in the early spring. The spawn is on and they bite anything near em. NO I havent been out this yr on the river yet. Last yr depressed me so bad I havent been to quick to head back there. I've been doin alot of trout fishing up on CLarks creek and Stoney Creek.

What do you use for smallies on your stretch? I usually bring fatheads, baby nitecrawlers, senko worms and tubes usually in the dark green (watermellon maybe?) or brown colors.. Also the yellow mister twisters..

Insomniac

WeldFlash420 said:

Clarks creek??? Maybe I have seen you a few times. :wave: