What's new

Smart Pots

Smeden

High

I cant go meassure em at the moment, as it would give em light in the dark time.
But the 2 gallons smart pots I have. I would say they r about 20 cm in diamter and about 25 cm high.

I have no tips to share, as it will be first time im using em. (nothing else, than I think its a good idea to place em a lil in the air, so the pot gets air underneath aswell)

Cheers

Strainbrain

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
Veteran
Does anyone know the height of the #1 & #2 SP?

I have an empty new one next to me as we speak. The 1-gallon size is 7" high and 8" in diameter. I had ordered 2 2-gallon pots but they shipped me all 1s... so I can't measure the other. I expect my replacement 2's to be here this week and I'll update if necessary.

For those who can't find them, the manufacturer sells them on their website: www.smartpots.com

-s

hayze

I have an empty new one next to me as we speak. The 1-gallon size is 7" high and 8" in diameter. I had ordered 2 2-gallon pots but they shipped me all 1s... so I can't measure the other. I expect my replacement 2's to be here this week and I'll update if necessary.

For those who can't find them, the manufacturer sells them on their website: www.smartpots.com

-s

Thanks

i'm giving it a go with the whole "smart pot" theory because i couldn't find any airpots large enough for bushes and also found out the really big airpots don't have bottoms. didn't go out and buy smart pots, but took the concept and did a DIY with weedblocker fabric lining the inside of a milk crate. i believe this will give me very similar results. if not, MUCH better than a solid-sided container. i might also try sewing up a couple tall and skinny "smart pots" out of the weedblocker to see if i can replicate the real deal. my roll of weedblocker was like $30 for a 100+ foot roll, so if roots want to stick into it, i have no problems tossing them when finished.

my "DIY smart pot" consists of 4 layers (to block the light) of weedblocker landscape fabric folded to fit inside of an ~10gal milk crate with the diamond-pattern holes all over it. i'm doing it side by side against a 10gal rubbermaid although different strains will be grown in each. grow will be 3 bushes inside of a 3x3 hydrohut under a 1kw HPS. medium is 70% recycled soil, 30% coco, bone and blood meals. i plan on using plenty of teas, fish emulsion, meta-K, high P guano, humic and fulvic acids, blackstrap molasses, and EJ bloom if i get off my ass and buy some more.

this will be my first time doing a "bush" style grow indoors, but the 3 plants (GDP, HK-S, and Cherry Pie) were originally mother plants and already have a nice branchy, wide structure with lots of main budsites from being cut back so many times. they also have a nice root structure that will hopefully continue with the added air supply around the sides and bottom. wish me luck!

its420

FWIW everyone
In my testing
Smartpots were designed to hold plants long term outdoors. They are best suited to exactly that, outdoor all summer growing where the pot is in contact with BARE GROUND. The roots can actually grow thru the smartpot and into the ground where there is additional moisture. DONT MOVE once established(like you can move anything bigger that a 15g,lol) They are also fantastic for mothers inside. Helps keep them in a bonzai root pruned form, smaller pots with adequate root mass.

I tried 2 gal smarts next to 3 gal grow bags inside. The smarts didnt yield any different whatsoever. In fact, the grow bags seemed to provide a better plant structure for indoor growing. I figure in a smart pot your plants spend alot more time rooting and less shooting above ground where the buds are, to start at least.

Bottom line, with our quick cycle flowering smart pots are just another pot indoors(WAY better than a nursery pot thou not as good as a grow bag) its best to go with grow bags at 35 cents each!

JUST SAY NO to nursery pots!!

Hope this helps
I keep my moms in smarts 100%(in a flat pan bottom watering is SOOOOO easy and FAST)
Flower in grow bags, 5 gal- inside
Smart pots RULE outside, but you MUST have contact with bare soil to get full benefits

PEACE

Last edited:

dankohzee

If you guys want to see both these pots in action (airpots and smartpots) come check out my swamp grow in the outdoor journal section of the City. I'm growing Sweettooth, Widow, and Trainwreck. It's awesome man!

C21H30O2

I have ridden the mighty sandworm.
Veteran
I think I may try the air pots for my next cycle but I think in veg only. It seems like it would be a bitch to water a coco filled air pot and i have heard of people watering up to 7 times a day using air pots with coco mid - late flower. That seems like a headache. But I think a month veg in a air-pot followed by a transplant and perhaps a week more veg would result in better results.

judas cohen

Dabbler: I wonder if a burlap sack material inside a milk crate would work?

Milk crates are so easy to handle and hold 7.5 gal if filled to the top. A little under half full would be 3 gal. Nice big 12"x12" diameter bottom to allow roots to spread out.

Seems like air would also get to the bottom if placed on a wire rack. (like you use to cool bread fresh from the oven.)

I've never seen a smart pot in person, so maybe I'm talkin' trash.... I'm not sure. LOL

dankohzee

I'm now in the second montho of veg in Smartports. Growth is phenomenal, water retention is excellent, and soil temps have remained comparable to earth temps--even in 90 plus degree days. I use the 45 gal outdoor. I also have a few growing in five, seven, and 10 gallon airpots. I'll post pics tonight.

onegreenday

Veteran
I'm using the 2 gal smart pot indoors and its 3rd week flower
and I love the plant vigor (could be the variety)
it's growing real strong.
I like how it waters easy too; I got a light mix going.

It seems to need more watering than plastic pots
but that could be the variety and plant vigor.
I think it's the air coming through the bag pores & evaporating moisture
from the rootzone.

Nice & stable too, not tippy, except when very dry.
The plant hardly stretched at all (variety?)

The only drawback may be re-using as I heard they are hard to clean.
we'll see.

easy 3-z from the 2-gal and only 24" tall.

i also heard they are a pain to clean for reuse. when i use those white square 3-gal pots, i usually put some window screen on the bottom to keep the soil IN the pot. the roots always entangle through this nice little matrix i've provided them. i found the easiest way to get the roots off is to let the fabric completely dry until the roots are crispy, and then just run my fingers over the mesh to break off the dry roots. works like a charm. but will it work on a smart pot, no idea, but it might help.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Yes indeed! Cleaning these SmartPots is a complete nightmare.

First you remove the rootball from the pot. Place the pot into a washing machine, preferably one down at the laundromat. Start the wash cycle and let it go through the entire wash/rinse cycles.

Remove from the washing machine and they're dry to the touch. Take home and refill with soil.

Yeah - a real leap of faith to get these babies clean!

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I figure in a smart pot your plants spend alot more time rooting and less shooting above ground where the buds are, to start at least.
Right - cannabis being the 'special plant' that it is, it doesn't benefit from increased root mass like each and every other plant.

It's a wonder that anyone had ever figured out how to grow such a strange and mysterious plant - thank God for Jorge Cervantes!

maryjohn

Veteran
Right - cannabis being the 'special plant' that it is, it doesn't benefit from increased root mass like each and every other plant.

It's a wonder that anyone had ever figured out how to grow such a strange and mysterious plant - thank God for Jorge Cervantes!

:laughing:

dabbler

Will my DIY Airpot work?

Will my DIY Airpot work?

Dabbler: I wonder if a burlap sack material inside a milk crate would work?

Milk crates are so easy to handle and hold 7.5 gal if filled to the top. A little under half full would be 3 gal. Nice big 12"x12" diameter bottom to allow roots to spread out.

Seems like air would also get to the bottom if placed on a wire rack. (like you use to cool bread fresh from the oven.)

I've never seen a smart pot in person, so maybe I'm talkin' trash.... I'm not sure. LOL

Hey Judas,

I think Burlap sack would work as long as the roots can penetrate the material and have the air drying the roots as they emerge. Burlap would be fairy light proof as well which should help - please experiment and keep me/us informed. I've never seen a smart pot or air pot either so maybe we are both talkin trash but only time will tell!
picture.php

Too early for any results to show on my test yet - 10 days in her cage and no roots are emerging yet??? The plastic sack I used is in no way lightproof so the roots may be being pruned or they are changing direction away from the light before they reach the sides.
I was planning on flowering her in 2 weeks time - I'm not sure whether I should repot her before hand or let her go in her cage and see what happens - any thoughts on this? New growth looks a good and healthy green.
Cheers and good luck:joint:

Attachments

• CIMG2944.jpg
    CIMG2944.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 14

Greensub

in south orange county 1 hydro shop has the airpots..5 dollars for 5 liter and 10 dollars for 10 liters.

3 weeks and i am sold on these airpots...coco an perlite and use organic teas.

had deepwater 5 gals...very good but water culture is tricky...rockwool is good but lung damage from dry cubes in risky as well as 1 shot use.

after using coco an perlite rinse with water an use again.and again.

saw smart pots...didnt go for it.

Hi, which south orange county store carries them? I work in Laguna Niguel...

onegreenday

Veteran
I'm using the 2 gal smart pot indoors and its 3rd week flower
and I love the plant vigor (could be the variety)
it's growing real strong.
I like how it waters easy too; I got a light mix going.

It seems to need more watering than plastic pots
but that could be the variety and plant vigor.
I think it's the air coming through the bag pores & evaporating moisture
from the rootzone.

Nice & stable too, not tippy, except when very dry.
The plant hardly stretched at all (variety?)

The only drawback may be re-using as I heard they are hard to clean.
we'll see.

easy 3-z from the 2-gal and only 24" tall.

UPDATE: The 2gal may be too small for a good size plant 3-4 foot and in a dry area. IT looks like I must water 1/2 gal every day or I could get in trouble; so the bigger bag may be needed by some.

I just flushed and the leach was right around the last feed ,
so the bag seems to be helping control tds accumulation in the media (my impression)

after feeding and dumping runoff i noticed it still
was sitting in a little water with a vacuum (no air) connection;
so I put some hydro corn under to give it the air space
(as mentioned on the thread before)

it's a smartbag on roller skates (hydrocorn)
it slides around but getting air to the bottom , nice.........

Latest posts

Latest posts