What's new

Smart Pots

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
smartpots did not make a big difference to me I used a smartpot(7g) and a square pot(5g) under the same conditions and same strain so far the only difference is the smartpot is 5" taller then the square pot.

I have more faith in the airpot. I just got 4 8g and they look nice. I have noticed that water will leak out of the sides when watering(thanks Mo for the tip) so I water more then I would normally.

RoarLikeAROOR

I have some questions.

Say I wanted to start them in the ground but i wanted to use smartpots or airpots to help increase the rootball Would I be better off cutting off the bottom of the smartpot and maybe cutting a few holes in the side and letting the roots grow threw. Or would it be wise to plant straight in the ground and save the shock

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't think you would benefit at all with airpots in ground. They would not work properly. The roots would just row through the small holes

Ok I know I'm a bit late here, but I started one of my plants in a smartpot when I picked one up a couple months ago from a local hydro store....

I have noticed that I need to water my smart pot plants about twice as fast as my normal pots, which means I can push my plants a bit harder then normal (if I am watering twice as much I am also giving it twice the nutrients in effect)....

I understand that the benefit to transplanting your plant a couple times with gradual increases in spot size helps to make a more complete rootball instead of the roots just growing to the edges and leaving the center as deadspace...... The thing about smartpots is doesn't it enable you to not need to repot? I mean, if the roots are being air-pruned, forcing lateral growth of roots, wouldn't this make re-potting unneeded?

Why couldn't people just use plastic pots (or whatever you normally use for younger veg plants) then switch to a smartpot before flower? I read in an earlier post that people wouldn't want to do this because you wouldn't place your plant in too large a container because the roots of the small plant wouldn't get enough oxygen from being overwatered.... Well, since the smart pot's purpose is aerating the roots, that statement doesn't make sense to me. I mean, the smart pot (in my experience) needs to be watered more often then regular pots because it is indeed aerating the root-zone.

If I misread or am mistaken I am sorry, I'm just trying to figure this out just like the rest of you.... I have since bought more smart pots and will do a side by side myself as well. My plants seem to like the smart pots, but I will try some Airpots if I can get them.

This is something I have been questioning myself. I have been wondering if I should skip going with a #2 smart pot where I would be transplanting from a Dixie cup.......and just going straight into the #5 which is a 5 gallon. Now since It root prunes itself, would it be a waste to put a #2 into a #5 since all the roots are going down? Would the plant still take up the soil around the transplanted pot for a smart pot? Since the Roots are all going down, how would it fill that space up......so would it be better to go straight into whatever size you plan on flowering in from whatever you rooted it in?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I ordered them online I'm lazy lol. I do have some observations that I like to share with the smart pots compared to the square pot. The plant that's in the smart pot has less leaf material on the bud sites and has a much richer looking resin production. I am seeing a Quality difference between them I'm happy to say. The yield is slightly better on the smartpot. They still have at least 3 more weeks I will re post on the harvest

B

Blunted22

hey guys i just bought 10 2 gal and 10 5 gal cause i was thinking ineed to repot....

but if they work like they are suppose to you wouldnt ever need to repot would ya?

couldnt you go from clone to pot?

simba

Sleeping Dragon
Hammer do let us know your results..

Not a plug but a plug
Side note Adv Tech Has Free Ship on Smart Pots..

ya i recommend not transplanting..if you can.. with SP so much easier

canaDan420, if you transplant from one SP to another the roots will automaticly fill the voids..
the plant is always sending out leader roots so they will fill it up and you will have 100% media used for root mass..I say 2 Gall SP is the best for most of us.. 3 good to.. 5 is a lil big for indoors unless BUSHS (wich i dont like)..

Is the #5 really that big? Im gonna be veggin for 8-10 weeks in some cases but at least 8 weeks....and wont having that extra space help with overall quality because the roots will have plenty of room? So using the 2 Gals are best? Even with a veg as long as Im going to be vegging? Im going to be on 4x4 tables and I figure having a good 6 on each table in #5's after a nice long veg like that should give me a nice yield.....I was thinking maybe even doing 7-8 cause I whack the first 8'' at least off all my plants.

are the smart pots or air pots easily movable?
if they were on shelves and you wanted to take them down for watering?
basically are they going to collapse and make a mess?

they both are very similar, smart pots are more readily available and cheaper too?
any reason why you would rather have an airpot?

simba

Sleeping Dragon
cana for your case long veg 5 would prob be best for that long of veg.. (im asuming thats 8 weeks after full seedling stage or rooted clone stage )
when i say #2 its when veg short like 2 weeks-4 (4 if good watering system)
Short version.

nag...
no worries i move mine around..
SP is coming out with a Handled Version.....
once you fill them they aint tipping no media out.. unless u over fill, leave 1 inch from top

the airpot also is more tippy vs the smart pot.. the air pot is actually a piece of plastic wraped around a grate about 1" above the ground so its only sitting on the skirt
with Airports dont use Fine media, fallout from the bottom is guaranteed..

I can say this after trying them all im Die hard SP (obviously)..

sorry if this is a stupid question, but on a heavy mix(holding lots of water), how many days will a 2 gallon pot need till its next watering?

oh, they are reusable right?

K.J

Kief Junkie's inhaling the knowledge!
Veteran
Is the #5 really that big? Im gonna be veggin for 8-10 weeks in some cases but at least 8 weeks....and wont having that extra space help with overall quality because the roots will have plenty of room?

Take a look through my journal linked below. On the last few pages there are pictures of the 5 gallon Airpots for you to see. And remember, what's big for once setup might be perfect for the next. For our particular setup, these 5 gallon pots are overkill (we can only fit 4 at once in the flower room; if we used 2.5's instead we'd likely have room for 10 or more).

K.J

Veteran
are the smart pots or air pots easily movable?
if they were on shelves and you wanted to take them down for watering?
basically are they going to collapse and make a mess?

No, they won't collapse. If you put them together correctly (and it's VERY easy) then they're just as sturdy as any other pot on the market.

simba

Sleeping Dragon
Once you fill the smart pot the media Holds the walls up
No chance of spilling... actually SP is the only container that is Bottom Heavy.. The rest including AP and plastic containers can tip easier..
the SP bottom will actually hold if knocked around (the fabric bends a bit but still makes full contact with ground)

to lift the smart pot around just hold the walls from the top (pinch the fabric on either side and lift) u can even just pinch one side of the top and lift (2gal)
and SP have Handle ones coming.. if u order from any one ask for handled ones instead of non handle.. if u want handles..

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry if this is a stupid question, but on a heavy mix(holding lots of water), how many days will a 2 gallon pot need till its next watering?

oh, they are reusable right?

I water my 2 gallon size smart pot every 2 days..... Similar size plastic pots I need to water every 3-4 days

simba

Sleeping Dragon
I water my 2 gallon size smart pot every 2 days..... Similar size plastic pots I need to water every 3-4 days

Remember also the drying out faster is better.. because. as the days go by in solid wall container the water is loosing Oxygen content.. so by letting it dry out a bit.. you are letting the roots get more actual air (the dryness) and then giving fresh o2 enriched water IMPHO>>
and also it mimics the natural wet dry cylce.. our roots only like to be wet all the time if in DWC ebb flow etc.. where either lots of o2 (DWC) or ebb flow letting air get in there good

i wont deny they dry out faster but that's one of there benefits. (they dry out faster than Air pots (wich makes them better there)
IMPHO airpots have more plastic surface area than a standard container when u figure in all those dimples. (the whole point of air pruning is to get good air to maximum root zone)

remember in the ground when you water you give your plant water and the ground around it absorbs the water thus not Drowning your plant (unless you have some kind of blockage or something preventing that)

another way to look at it.. people that eat a little all day long aren't typically big.. but most that Binge, go threw non eating and then chowing Fatten up nicely same thing goes for plants IMPHO in certain grow styles (obv hydro is diff but thats cause few reasons)

get a good media like Bcuzz Bounce Coco and Higromite mix up and within the first grow you will know how much of either to get the timing you want.
Add more higromite to hold more water (*that stuff holds mad water) and coco is good water retention to.. (but with sp coco needs a bit more watering than soil as it allows air to pass into it YA!!!

K.J

Veteran
i wont deny they dry out faster but that's one of there benefits. (they dry out faster than Air pots (wich makes them better there)
IMPHO airpots have more plastic surface area than a standard container when u figure in all those dimples. (the whole point of air pruning is to get good air to maximum root zone)

Huh? The dimples actually reduce contact with the plastic because (at least in my setup) you don't pack every dimple with soil, it just loosely sits in the dimples. Also, each dimple has a big old hole in it, which allows air inside (hence the air pruning feature of the Airpot).

Latest posts

Latest posts