What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

sm0k4's PC cab - 5 year comeback

S

sm0k4

Don't know, never compared it myself. I'm doing 11 red, 3 white, and 2 blue this time.

S

sm0k4

Yep, got em from Customhydro before they sold out.

I bought a bunch of Cree XPEs from Digikey and Arrow also for my bigger cab I will be building soon.

Still debating whether to bother with 5W or just go all 1W with side lighting in the big cab.

pogona

hi guys, does anybody found that plants look healthier under full spectrum white light as it mimic sunlight ?

S

sm0k4

Yes, red plus white is plenty for them to grow.

Blue helps with the stretch more. White LEDs, mainly cool white have a peak of intense light at around 450nm. This plus the yellow and green it offers helps in veg and flower. I run with a 1-1-1 red-white-blue ratio in veg and was happy with the results. Hardly any stretch and the whites really pack a punch in the photon dept.

If you look around here I think SupraSPL had a finished grow with just red and white LEDs. He had some stretch and said a little blue would have been better to limit some of that stretch.

So to take his grow and expand, I decided to stick with my 1-1-1 ratio until week 3 of flower. Then switch to 70% red, 20% white, and 10% blue.

Right now LED is very new to grow with and people are playing around with different ratios. I wish it was like HID where you can just throw a certain number of lumens at it, but its more complex than that. Growing style and efficiency come into play with LED. The more you can customize the LED array to fit your room and needs the better off you are.

Buying a light is good and all, but you are pretty restricted to that small footprint. Building your own lets you expand that footprint and make far more efficient use of the LEDs. Some of these commercial units make me cry. Especially when I see 6 fans mounted on it for cooling. Haha, they need new engineers. Thats what you get when you buy commercially. Its mostly under-engineered crap that needs lots of fans to compensate for lack of cooling in such a small space.

Aluminum is expensive though, so adding fans is cheaper than making the LEDs more efficient and work better. Quantity over quality seems to be the norm.

DIY is always better when it comes to LED. Until these companies stop using China to make their lights and get real engineers, I will not even think about buying one.

pogona

i totally agree with you leds are the future but as always with technology it's initially very expensive it's curious that those enginners haven't create a panel with dimmable system set on different wawelenghts that could recreate sunrise ,sunset and such to really match natural sunlight in order to stimulate our beloved plants

KifThief

From the research ive done, for growing, 1w leds are the most efficient. The higher watt diodes are certainly brighter and put out more lumens, but not youre not getting as much light per watt as using the same amount of wattage of the 1w diodes. plus with more diodes, canopy penetration is increased pretty significantly

S

sm0k4

From the research ive done, for growing, 1w leds are the most efficient. The higher watt diodes are certainly brighter and put out more lumens, but not youre not getting as much light per watt as using the same amount of wattage of the 1w diodes. plus with more diodes, canopy penetration is increased pretty significantly

You are spot on in your assessment of LEDs. "1W" are the way to go. More efficient and more lumens per watt. I was thinking of getting some 60 degree optic lenses that will only reduce the light by ~10%, but will gain another foot or two of penetration. These would be mounted on the overhead array in my bigger cab.

Top bins on my radar:

Cree XPEROY bin D4-16 (450nm)
Cree XPERED bin N4-R2 (625nm)
Cree XPGWHT bin R5 cool white (~5-8000K)
Osram GD+ LH W5AM bin 2T (660nm)

pogona

cree xpg r5 kick ass smok04 but you can drive them 1 to 5 watts ,that's the ones i choose
with 60° lens in order to use them in a taller grow .
by the way your lil cab rules

S

sm0k4

cree xpg r5 kick ass smok04 but you can drive them 1 to 5 watts ,that's the ones i choose
with 60° lens in order to use them in a taller grow .
by the way your lil cab rules

Thanks man, just about got it all dialed in. Over the weekend I made some more ventilation mods.

I replaced the two crappy fans I had on the scrubber. I also redid the scrubber after buying a new PC filter kit. Everything has weather stripping where anything will be touching. This dampens the noise from vibrations and seals the channel so unfiltered air can't sneak in the cracks.

Here are the pics. I used two liner layers to keep the carbon inside. After screwing all the screws to hold the carbon inside except one, I then stuffed more carbon into the middle. Then sealed up the last screw and trimmed the sides.

S

sm0k4

Day 5 of 12/12

Day 5 of 12/12

The above build makes me a little worried that the outer edges of the filter will have gaps and some smell will seep through. It tapers off to the edges and you can't get as much carbon up around them. I like the air flow much better though and the cab stays down near 80 now, not climb up to 90. Draw on the intake improved a lot also. If the filter proves to not clean much air when they get stinky, I will go back to my square plastic housing design. Carbon changes would be easier with the new one though.

Here is after my rigorous training and pruning session a couple days ago. 1st pic is the before shot. I gave them an hour to stretch out while I made the cab mods. Then I abused them. I decided to redo my screen since it was bulky and in my way too much. I am using it as a training rail instead. Now I can get my fingers and hands in there to work. They have been on 12/12 for one week now.

S

sm0k4

Day 8 of 12/12

Day 8 of 12/12

I think I found a male last night, the best looking plant too. I knew it would happen.

I removed this plant and placed the other plant in there. Due to not being under the intense light, it is lacking behind the others. The left side of the cab looks bare now.

No pre flowers showing on the remaining three yet. I trained them again and fed them 900 ppm solution at 5.5 pH. They seem to be needing water every two days.

1st pic is the nut shot.
2nd is the remaining plants.

S

sm0k4

Of course it'd have to be the best looking plant wouldn't it

It always is. When I got home tonight I checked on it again and for sure its a male. Nuts popping all over the top few nodes. Sucky for sure. This is kind of a good sign though because males usually pop 1st. Good chance the remaining are female.

It was a nice looking plant too, it grew really bushy.

I also hate scrubbers. I need to redo the build using both metal screen halves to hold the carbon tighter. Don't know what I was thinking on this try.

Voidling

I still haven't got around to doing mine. Money and time crunch on other projects. Check out my thread for the update I just posted.

Are you going to save the pollen for possible future use anyway?

S

sm0k4

I still haven't got around to doing mine. Money and time crunch on other projects. Check out my thread for the update I just posted.

Are you going to save the pollen for possible future use anyway?

I don't think so, no need when my goal is to get a perpetual cloning system going.

pogona

maybe i'm wrong but as far as i can see on the picture your charcoal is placed on the intake if stinky smell from plants is your problem maybe you should place the charcoal on a passive extraction on top doing so it would be easier to change it
and damn this plant was looking good