What's new

Slownickel lounge, pull up a chair. CEC interpretation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jidoka

Topdressing is the easiest way for soil. It would be hard to get as much as you want fertigating cause injectors won't work.

Beyond that we would need to move the conversation cause I promised

EasyGoing

I won't speak much more on it either. However, high CEC organic soil, that can move it's base saturation %'s quickly sounds like a winner to me. Comes down to cost more than the theory, IMO.

jidoka

Ball milling does not change solubility. It increases surface area improving digestability for microbes. But if microbes are dormant ???

You ever wonder if Brunetti's suspension agent was really organic

Brewing is different. It is a genius way to predigest. MgPhosphates are special

growingcrazy

We raise and process poultry on our farm, so having an unlimited supply of organic bone meal is what got me into the ball mill. I like to run everything through it just for consistency.

G

This thread is going down hill

Sprinkling gypsum on it

All better. It's a good thing I showed up, you are welcome. I've been saying that alot lately

Amen. I learned a lot in the first couple hundred pages. The last hundred I learned plus I learned that some posters here love the sound of their own voice. Ignore function takes care of most of that. A few of them need to start their own threads or stay on topic or just plain shut up. I dont know for sure but at least one poster has to have double the posts of the OP and a couple other may. Thanks to the OP for all the info. Thread seems to be being run into the dirt by blabbermouth know it all's. Back to read only now for me.

hyposomniac

Veteran
We raise and process poultry on our farm, so having an unlimited supply of organic bone meal is what got me into the ball mill. I like to run everything through it just for consistency.

A little off topic, but how far do you process the birds? Into boneless breasts and boneless thighs? Machine for it?

growingcrazy

Boneless breast, bone in thighs and legs mainly. All hand work, we aren't a huge operation, 1-2k birds a year. Plenty to supply my 40 acres needs...

We incorporate the rib cage/spine, wings/legs and any other waste into our compost piles. This allows microbes to remove all tissues from the bones without using an energy source.

When we go to use the compost the bones are separated during screening and then powdered.

The only thing off topic in this thread is whining. So many dots in this thread that take some logical thinking and some not so logical thinking to connect.

Imagine if all of these heads would work towards a common goal with openness...whether privately or publicly... we have bigger competition coming from Corporate America than we do from woo salesman or anyone else...

Klax420

Hey,
So soon ill be starting to build some soil. I'm going to get it tested when it's a month old, amend it test repeat til its good. I'm wondering how often folks are getting it tested beyond this? Just guidelines i guess....also how long do tests take from Logan or spectrum? Im closer to spectrum labs im pretty sure.
Thx!! This thread is excellent and super informative

hyposomniac

Veteran
Boneless breast, bone in thighs and legs mainly. All hand work, we aren't a huge operation, 1-2k birds a year. Plenty to supply my 40 acres needs...

We incorporate the rib cage/spine, wings/legs and any other waste into our compost piles. This allows microbes to remove all tissues from the bones without using an energy source.

When we go to use the compost the bones are separated during screening and then powdered.

The only thing off topic in this thread is whining. So many dots in this thread that take some logical thinking and some not so logical thinking to connect.

Imagine if all of these heads would work towards a common goal with openness...whether privately or publicly... we have bigger competition coming from Corporate America than we do from woo salesman or anyone else...

That's really cool.. I have butchered my share of chicken's in the family food bizness, I was never very good at it.. we started 35 years ago and all our chicken came whole back then, then it changed to whole boneless breasts where you had to bisect them and remove errant skin, goo and a boney segment, now ready-to-cook breasts are pretty darned economical.
My grandfather's family came from a small chicken farm in the old country.. I got to visit it when I was 10, I wish I'd taken more interest back then.
Would love to try some of your birds someday!

reppin2c

Veteran
I think what happens when you feed heavy you shut down the microbes so you get no contribution from any of your non soluble soil amendments. You are essentially feeding hydroponically at that point. The thing to watch for is which way does your organic % move yr over yr

I'm seconding that, I think you just fuck up they're world they had built. No N fixers surviving or whatever in the presence of higher N levels, No myco in high P levels. Like once you have a AACT brewed you just roll it....you don't add shit, just let her be and build.

reppin2c

Veteran
Jesus I'm a couple pages back.

This dude has a couple thousand birds. I had like 16 and then the bear, fox and whatever ate half of them. The bear, skunk and bluejays ate all the chicken food. I just want to shoot all the chickens and be done with it.

Edit can I lump my in laws with the chickens

GO GYPSUM

Last edited:

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
N fixers are a good point. I wonder what happens to them in the presence of amino acids? Any idea reppin2c?

Last edited:

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm seconding that, I think you just fuck up they're world they had built. No N fixers surviving or whatever in the presence of higher N levels, No myco in high P levels. Like once you have a AACT brewed you just roll it....you don't add shit, just let her be and build.

The only soil biology that is going to get knocked back if mycos... the rest are pretty much unaffected by high P.

If you have high K, mycos can't keep up.

If you get mycos into your plant prior to setting her in high P, you basically achieved your goal. The good guys keep the bad guys out.

Most nutrient uptake has nothing to do with biology. Organic nutrients (vs minerals) are picked up from humus molecules.

There are times where matured roots have mined all the nutrients around them thus the response from adding more elements to get to those roots and recharge the sites with what you need.

Easy learned some super lessons this year.

As for light vs heavy mixes, Easy tried to explain the logic of lighter mixes, didn't quite articulate the message correctly.

I will explain. In a light mix vs a heavy mix, you need more K.

In a heavy mix, if you are at 2% K, it is very hard to move that 2 to a 6% say. Why? Because to pick up those 4%, it is 4% of the CEC.

So if I have a CEC that is 30, it will need a lot more to get from 2 to 6. However, a light mix, you don't need that much to achieve that objective.

That goes for all the elements. If you have 200 ppms of Fe, that is very different than say 50 ppm of Fe if you only of 10 ppm of Mn.

The reason you want K to swing is this. K and Ca are antagonistic.

If you have high K in the beginning, your root growth will be greatly stunted. You need high Ca in the beginning, 85-87%. Then as you get further and further into veg, more and more K. Ideally you would swing your K from 2 to say 7 or 8 in a light soil. However, when we begin to flower, we see new root growth, those new roots are asking for Ca. If we have high K at that point, again, we are missing the next boat. So, at this point, Ca needs to be driven back up high again, applying only small quantities of K early in flowering and walking your way up.

And as Easy mentioned, use a 1-2-1 or 2-4-2 ratio. That is the ideal, contrary to Big Mike at Advanced and nearly every other nutrient manufacturer.

I have met many humble growers that produce amazing quality, yet no yields. I have met lots of terrible growers, quality and yield sucked. Calcium is the backdrop that is necessary to even contemplate high yield if you decide to put the puzzle together correctly.

Can't come close to hitting genetic potential without all the pieces of the puzzle though. Doesn't mean you won't get a result, just not the same result. From what I have seen, farmers in California are spoiled. They can do barely anything and still get a crop.

I am dealing with a bunch of avo growers in California and those poor bastards are more lost than you guys! There brilliant idea now is to cut costs! WTF? How do you grow more by spending less? The real answer is to spend more to produce more and lower your per unit cost of production. (make the avocado for less by producing more)

reppin2c

Veteran
I think you missed what I was getting at but whatever. I think the real deal is 50/50 mineral/microbe. But I'll just go but let me leave you guys with this...i think it will give all of y'all a chubby

Attachments

• 20171020_214403.jpg
    20171020_214403.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 22

reppin2c

Veteran
N fixers are a good point. I wonder what happens to them in the presence of amino acids? Any idea reppin2c?

Take me to school bruh

HTF-And as far as getting it...I question what I'm told from everyone, nothing is gospel. Just cuz a couple people say this is how it is doesn't always mean that's how it is.

Let's say you have 2 different grows 1 is top dressed every couple weeks and gets 7 lbs, another get 10lbs and says how worth it. How could one get more with less input if it was mineral only and the first grow was all over it like stink on shit? What am I not getting here?

Edit I was supposed to go damn it

Last edited:

Limeygreen

Veteran
I am curious about potassium and silica solubilizers in the soil as well as the n fixers, not just aminos but while you are moving your saturations of ca and k around, do they need to be bumped up or built up in a slow ramp kind of way to aid in the uptake of the nutrients? When increasing your Calicum and then decreasing it do you also play with the boron in the same fashion to help limit the uptake or increase it or does cause too much of a change where you're better off just leaving it at a good level instead?

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Slow, I wonder how many times your going to have to say it, b4 they get it ? Hmm

Happy,

You make me laugh. Thanks!

I have a good friend and long time client, a chinese guy. I visit their grape farm several times per year. The last time we went, he said the same exact thing, how many times you going to have to repeat yourself before they get it? Then he laughed and said, that next time he would video tape my conversation and replay it for them once a week til they got it.... gotta love the chinese mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts