What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Size does matter!

S

staff11

run along son, yer gettin' on my nerves

Yeah I will run along now, because you really don't want any different opinions of facts on the matter. Why do you even make a thread like this if you wont listen to anyone but yourself?

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
roots are key to success. more roots. more weight. Running 15gal smart pots this time round will see what happens compared to the 5in netpots in the aerotables.

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
Yeah I will run along now, because you really don't want any different opinions of facts on the matter. Why do you even make a thread like this if you wont listen to anyone but yourself?

I asked to shoot some holes in the theory with some proof! NOT some anal basic botany tells us BS.
My bad for assuming people would figure out I was talking about Cannabis, in soil, in pots, indoors... since it's in the Indoor Grows - Soil section on a fkin Cannabis forum lol

oh well, walk my talk time...
All 2or3's into 7's or 10's within 72hrs of flip, 60 days later...

These have been outside for months, as old as last fall & I could still build a fkin sod hut out of'em...

On your 25yrs nursery/landscaping exp.
That simply tells me, I've been growing grass a decade longer than you've been mow'in it! :D

Jro waltzed in here & threw down the shit! :yes: That's what I'm lookin' for & you sure as hell won't find it in any basic botany lit.

To everyone that's posted up big... Woot! Go big or go home! :plant grow:

@aero: lookin' forward to you in 15's ;)

S

staff11

I asked to shoot some holes in the theory with some proof! NOT some anal basic botany tells us BS.
My bad for assuming people would figure out I was talking about Cannabis, in soil, in pots, indoors... since it's in the Indoor Grows - Soil section on a fkin Cannabis forum lol

oh well, walk my talk time...
All 2or3's into 7's or 10's within 72hrs of flip, 60 days later...

These have been outside for months, as old as last fall & I could still build a fkin sod hut out of'em...

On your 25yrs nursery/landscaping exp.
That simply tells me, I've been growing grass a decade longer than you've been mow'in it! :D

Jro waltzed in here & threw down the shit! :yes: That's what I'm lookin' for & you sure as hell won't find it in any basic botany lit.

To everyone that's posted up big... Woot! Go big or go home! :plant grow:

@aero: lookin' forward to you in 15's ;)

lol well whatever. I actually agree with you on bigger pots equal bigger plants.

I just don't agree on when to transplant them. For me personally I have had better results transplanting and gaining root mass before flipping to flower.

I also don't agree that transplanting multiple times has any benefit over starting out in the containers you would like to finish in.

When people fist start growing anything in containers they usually have problems with overwatering a huge container, and that slows growth from the obvious factor of the roots having access to zero oxygen.

And I don't mow grass, that's for all the maintenance guys.....lol

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
:D

I'm with transplanting as early as possible, WHILE avoiding any detrimental effects from too early. ie. them getting stuffed in those crucial explosive flowering weeks, 2-6.
Stuffed a bit beyond 6 weeks can actually improve quality, hasten senescence some too. Beyond 6... starve'em, brix'em & watch'em fade n swell ;)

S

staff11

Well this is why I do it a week or two before flower because it seems to be the critical point of achieving root mass, but not getting bound up in the transitional phase. Totally agree with basically starving them near the end, I also keep the humidity low........ like 30% low in flower which according to a lot of forumites is death to the plant.... lol

thal

Glad you guys worked it out civilly. ;)

There are two basic reasons I transplant multiple times in a plants life:

The smaller containers allow me to fit more plants in the same area, while still getting good veg growth.

I switch soil mixes between veg and flowering, so when I'm about to flower I simply transplant into the flowering soil.

zeke99

Jrosek with a tutorial on Hempy/IRB SOG. Good stuff. It's hard to find info. from perlite and vermiculite growers.

JROSEK:

After many years of trial and error i now use 25 1gal buckets in a 44"x44" area with a 600hps. results are pretty standard, I harvest just around 2lbs every 55 days.

I veg for 10 days from a rooted clone.

I trim all of the fan leaves at 21 days flower and again at 45 days flower

I use 65% perlite to 35% vermiculite.

The most important thing i noticed about shorter multiple plants in 1gal is the penetration. with a 600, we had a difficult time getting the lower parts to finish up properly, we could superharvest but in all would waist an extra month in flower.

The smaller ones average around 15" and fully rippen under 60 days, wich is another benefit with smaller, It cuts a week off flowering with the same strain. Nothing like having the biggest and most potent buds with no scraps left over!

I am in the process of switching over to beds as we speak, This will allow me to run 40 plants per 600 5" apart

Running 400's i would recommend a short plant's no more than 12 high. 15 days veg of course would be way to long, probably drop in flower as soon as they are rooted well.

I would make a bed to maximise your coverage, lets say a 400 can cover a 30x30 adequately

One impotant aspect to this is strain choice, Ideally you want a indica based to keep them short and packed!

The medium is 65% perlite to 35% vermiculite. I use straight hydro nutes mixed to the gallon specifications at a ph of 5.8 to 6, The smaller cuts in the beds recieve 20oz of feed every 2 days., I never feed over 1100ppm. I give them ph adjusted plain water every 4th feed. This helps prevent salt build up.

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
All is I can add through experience is growing AK47 with a known huge root mass does not make a difference in production if watered correctly when growing 5 foot plants at finish time with a 5 gallon pail, or a 3 gallon pot. Just what I have noticed with that one strain. I think proper watering at nutrient regime is the most important factor when growing large plants in small pots.

TGT

Xerhoss

Hey, fellas...quick question on pot size. This is exactly what i've been thinking about for the last week and this has been a great thread to read.

I have 8 rooted clones in 1 gallon pots just starting veg, currently under T5s ranging from 5-7" tall. I am running 100% COCO, but am debating whether to go 3 gallon pots or 5 gallon. My flower room is 4X8. I am going to try and run 2 fully vented 8" Cool Sun XL hoods with 2 - 1000 watt dual arc bulbs for spectrum during flower. They will be transferring to 1000 watt MH hopefully by the end of this week.

I do have a height restriction since my ceiling height is only 7' and i've got those big vented hoods, bucket height and distance from canopy to hood to consider. I'm thinking i want to keep the plants around 3 -3 1/2 feet tall (or incorporate some LST, if necessary).

Any suggestions/recommendations would be much welcome. :thank you:

groovee

I followed Jro's technique for 2 harvests and am thoroughly impresed. never have i had such good harvest. thank you ware ever you are jrosek!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just finished a test of The white og V2 in a 8G pot.. I yielded 4+oz. Pot size really helps.

Start of flowering. This girl was burned on the one leaf with a hps bulb.

picture.php

This was 2 weeks before I Harvested her

picture.php

Harvest day

picture.php

Rjstoner

thanks for all the great info fellas

i wish jrosek was still around i want to know how he got good light to 7.5 square feet with a 600 my 1000 bareley does 4 squared if anyone knows please inform me

also i did some math and if jrosek used 5 inchs between plants and his table is 5x10 the plant number is 120 not 288

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
no complaints here. yield was the same as 2 gal pots. go figure

this pic gave me a funny idea that i want to try out, takes me back to my days of growing magic mushrooms in trays..

what if you just transplanting a bunch of 1-2 ft plants from 1 gal pots with nice rootballs into rubbermaid beds.....fill up enough extra medium so that its the exact same as transplanting to a bigger pot, say 1gal to 2gal or something like that. of course drill a bunch of drainage holes into the rubbermaid, then place in a flood tray. you can fit four 2x2 trays into a 4x4 tray..with maybe 6 plants in each tray arranged in 2 lines of 3..

i might be wrong here so please correct if i am, but the plants wouldnt get rootbound because their root systems can stretch and intertwine with the neighboring plants root system, a plant in the middle of the tray could possibly stretch her roots all the way to the end of both sides....

anybody see any issues with this? im tired of using all these damn pots, this would also cut down on transplant time..

Dorje113

Good thread.

Just a quick update, I have grown with beds of soil, 4.5 x 5' per 1 kW, about 12" deep, and with the 20 gal smart pots I was using side-by-side. Beds were 30' long and 4.5' wide,

Nothing beats beds, IMO. The soil conditions stay very stable, they require much less concentration of nutes, and the plats just love having an infinite amount of root space. Yields were all over the place, grew out 30+ strains, but 2 lbs per light was typical, with the snowcap maxing out at 3.2 lbs!!! That's the highest yields I've ever seen!!!

An example (pic of kushage):

DSC03663c.jpg

DSC03636.jpg

Dorje113

this pic gave me a funny idea that i want to try out, takes me back to my days of growing magic mushrooms in trays..

what if you just transplanting a bunch of 1-2 ft plants from 1 gal pots with nice rootballs into rubbermaid beds.....fill up enough extra medium so that its the exact same as transplanting to a bigger pot, say 1gal to 2gal or something like that. of course drill a bunch of drainage holes into the rubbermaid, then place in a flood tray. you can fit four 2x2 trays into a 4x4 tray..with maybe 6 plants in each tray arranged in 2 lines of 3..

i might be wrong here so please correct if i am, but the plants wouldnt get rootbound because their root systems can stretch and intertwine with the neighboring plants root system, a plant in the middle of the tray could possibly stretch her roots all the way to the end of both sides....

anybody see any issues with this? im tired of using all these damn pots, this would also cut down on transplant time..

I have used rubbermaid storage containers. The 20 gal smartpots use about the same amount of dirt as a 30 gal storage container, plus the roots don't circle, so IMO you are better off using large smart pots than storage containers.

It is really easy to build a bed, I just use 3/4" plywood. The sides actually don't see much load from the dirt, so no special reinforcements are needed.

Also, I have found flood trays aren't needed, allowing water to flush through the medium causes problems so I only water enough to saturate the media but not enough to cause any runoff.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
interesting..yeah ive done bags on the floor and never had much runoff and still got really nice plants. but ive recently switched to flood trays in anticipation that i do some coco grows and need to flush out the salt...

i was thinking about using beds for scrog. instead of having six seperate 1 gal pots i would have a tray with six plants in a bed arranged 2x3. the total capacity of the tray would probably be like 10 gallons so they get to stretch their roots a bit and dont curl around into a ball like in the pots. and hook this up to a drip irrigation..

i might try it out...i ran out of 1 gal pots and need to fill up a tray....gonna try this with some OG kush in a 4x4 flood tray.