What's new

Size does matter!

billboOG

i don't knoe if you remember krusty but he grow the biggest badass "trees" in five gallon buckets....some indicacaution of what a five gallonscan do ...no and I repeate no one grow them bigger with some much produce. I trie to follow in his steps both in soil and hydro. I'm a 5 gallon man to the core. Bigger is just a waste of space IMO.To bad OG get aced but I think I can find a pic or two to show the doughtters

Last edited:

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
Yer flappin yer gums about hydro bucket size? lol

bounce

You know, You should respect billbo, The guy can outgrow 90% of growers on this site and has more experience then most of us here. To tell him and his advice to bounce is very stupid, and shows nothing but a closed mind.

I do think hydro and soil are a little different in the aspect of container restrictions etc. But I also know billbo is a helluva grower and I respect the mans opinion and others probably should...

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
Hey blaze

Fuck that... "See my huge buds in little pots BS! Comes in here flappin his gums like he's bustin out monster colas in small pots (soil), wantin to argue? mis-lead? sumpthun...

5gal is fkin HUGE for hydro, proving the threads original statement.

If you think there's only a little difference? You need to run some side by sides...

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
@ Dragor
Missed your post before. Seeing is believing ;)

@ KDee211
What dimensions & what strain/s?

@ steppinRazor
luvtogrow explains it well. Builds a big rootball.

@ Hammerhead
Cool ;) How many weeks difference in them?
I'm going to run a 5,7,10gal test next & document it.
5,7,10gal Smart Pots
VS.
5,7,10gal Poly Bags

We'll see just how effective SmartPots are at the same time.

Who has room & time to try a 30day small pot test?
Say, 1,3,5gallons?

Get this documented & we can move onto other factors, like exploiting the transplant growth spurts to max advantage.

This will be fun too :p

IMHO this transplant growth spurt is an illusion growers seem to get...

A properly planted plant will get one solid growth spurt not spurts as transplanted.

The growth spurts you see from transplant are usually from starting in a small container, Then the plant takes off, soon its root growth is restricted by the smaller pot and the growth slows down.

Then you transplant and the roots are no longer restricted and you get another growth spurt. This goes on and on as many times as you want to do it.

Best to start in a pot that can substain the plant properly from start to finish, Veg time, strain and other stuff plays a role in what size container to use. Or transplant quicker before the growth spurt slows down. Usng multiple transplants timed properly to prevent this problem or one container large enough to substain the plant from the start to the end without restrictions depending on strain/veg cycle etc, Your going to get solid growth spurt that ends with harvest!

A properly planted plant will have no root restrictions and will get one solid steady growth spurt that ends with harvest. No slowed or delayed growth.

If I put a urkle for example in a 3 gal pot and veg for 30 days, I end up with slower growth late in veg and underdevloped nugs, But if I start it in a 5 gallon pot the growth stays vigorous through-out the grow. Or I can keep it in the same 3 gal pot and just veg 10-14 days and the same outcome great growth through and through.

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
Hey blaze

Fuck that... "See my huge buds in little pots BS! Comes in here flappin his gums like he's bustin out monster colas in small pots (soil), wantin to argue? mis-lead? sumpthun...

5gal is fkin HUGE for hydro, proving the threads original statement.

If you think there's only a little difference? You need to run some side by sides...

A little difference in what? I'm kinda lost at your point in the last line of the post...

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
Totally agree on avoiding the slowdown/rootbound stage. Unfortunately, it's usually a fact of life in the 6 plants over 12" perpetual world. At least in my world it is or they're in the fixtures :)

I pretty much have my routine dialed now. My scheduling? still not so much lol
RR's > 4" > 2gal > 7 or 10gal. Depending on strain?

From what I've observed?
It's important to reign in that tap root asap (4" square pots)
Then they hit the 2gal fabric pots for a good airpruning.
Now I've got a crazy rootball, that flat out stuffs the big ones, top to bottom.
Straight to big pots stuffed the bottoms only IME.

A little difference in what? I'm kinda lost at your point in the last line of the post...
"I do think hydro and soil are a little different in the aspect of container restrictions"

Huge difference IME ;)

Oh yeah, have to give you credit for me finally firing up some UVB! :yes:
Once you permanently mounted'em to your fixtures, I was like "OK, he's serious" lol good enough for me. That was a while ago too.

I like 4hrs mid-day, last 30 days. What do you run'em?

Dorje113

i don't knoe if you remember krusty but he grow the biggest badass "trees" in five gallon buckets....some indicacaution of what a five gallonscan do ...no and I repeate no one grow them bigger with some much produce. I trie to follow in his steps both in soil and hydro. I'm a 5 gallon man to the core. Bigger is just a waste of space IMO.To bad OG get aced but I think I can find a pic or two to show the doughtters

If you are talking hydro, I agree 5 gal is enough for a xmas tree, but soil is different and this "5 gal is enough" doesn't apply to growing in organic soil based mediums.

I have 20 gal smart pots and water every other day. A 5 gal pot would require an automatic watering system, which I don't want because I'm lazy and it's easier to hand water. I'm thinking a 30 gal pot would keep me watering every 3rd day...

As far as a waste of space, is the space dirt would take up really that valuable? Ideally, if I'm not using smart pots, I use beds which use ALL the space under the plants. I can assure you, if you went to 5 gal pots using my system, you'd see your yields go down a lot... and they are currently about 1.4g/W with the right strain... 5 gal pots just will not support this.

Dorje113

Dorje is gonna get Krusty trees :D

Yeah, I hope so, this system with the 20 gal smart pots is way different than what I normally do but it's looking good so far.

Here's Flo about 4-4.5 weeks in. I totally forgot what date I went 12/12... :)

Attachments

• 3room13June 001.jpg
    3room13June 001.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 3room13June 002.jpg
    3room13June 002.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 3room13June 004.jpg
    3room13June 004.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 3room13June 005.jpg
    3room13June 005.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 28

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
Totally agree on avoiding the slowdown/rootbound stage. Unfortunately, it's usually a fact of life in the 6 plants over 12" perpetual world. At least in my world it is or they're in the fixtures :)

I pretty much have my routine dialed now. My scheduling? still not so much lol
RR's > 4" > 2gal > 7 or 10gal. Depending on strain?

From what I've observed?
It's important to reign in that tap root asap (4" square pots)
Then they hit the 2gal fabric pots for a good airpruning.
Now I've got a crazy rootball, that flat out stuffs the big ones, top to bottom.
Straight to big pots stuffed the bottoms only IME.

"I do think hydro and soil are a little different in the aspect of container restrictions"

Huge difference IME ;)

Oh yeah, have to give you credit for me finally firing up some UVB! :yes:
Once you permanently mounted'em to your fixtures, I was like "OK, he's serious" lol good enough for me. That was a while ago too.

I like 4hrs mid-day, last 30 days. What do you run'em?

Right on, I guess it really does matter what style of grow etc just as much as anything else.

On the uv I like to run it 8 hrs a day during flower, 2hrs after lights on and shut off 2 hrs prior to lights off.

On the pot size issue, Plant count veg cycle all this matters, Yeah bigger pot usually equals more per plant, But how many 7 gal pots can you put in a given space. Say 4x4 for example vs how many 3 gal pots. 4 7 gal pots wth 4 plants can easily produce 6 oz per or better, But 16 in 3 gallons in the same space producing 2 oz per is a very simular outcome. 4x plant count 1/3 / 1/4 yeild per plant. Is comparable to the larger pot plants with more per plant weight.

There is a lot to it, Not just pot size I guess its style makes everything, try sog with that large 7 gal pot.

When talking a single plant under a 1k the bigger pot will win the battle no problems as long as its vegged longer, But pack more in tighter in smaller pots with shorter veg it can produce very simular outcome in final weight.

In the end the limit is lighting. You can only produce so much wieght with a given 1k light, How you do it is up to you, You can run 1 large ass bush that can produce a very nice yeild using a single large pot, Or you can run more in smaller pots with less per plant but get simular outcomes. Or 2 plants with larger pots.

So in the end it matters on your grow method/style on which is better, Because in some sense larger pot larger yields holds true in other ways it doesnt.

There is also a point at which it doesnt matter, For example take a 10 gallon pot and a 20 gallon pot same clone same strain same 30 day veg, The 20 gallon plant will not outproduce the 10 gallon unless the 10 gallon pot is restricting the root growth. Which with a 30 day veg it probably wont. So in the end your plants yield pretty much same, In order to make use of that extra 10 gallons you would need to veg longer...

Take 2 clones and put both into 12/12 with no veg one inside a 7 and one inside a 10 gallon pot end results wll be very much one in the same if conditions were equal.

Another key, To big of a pot can be more harm then good, Plants in soil need a dry out period in my opinion, It takes a 10 gal pot longer to dry out then a 5 gallon with 2 equal vegged and sized plants, Which would allow the 5 gallon pot to have more dryout periods in a givin grow which could lead to better results in the end as long as the smaller pot doesnt restrict the root growth. Air roots are very important and if your medium stays to moist constantly your plants will have much less root hairs, Which can create a much slower growth.

Bigger is always better if your plants roots are becoming restricted otherwise its not. The only way bigger will be better if your not having root restriction problems is if you veg longer.

There are so many variables its hard to say bigger is always better cause in ways it isnt.

All that said I still somewhat agree with your initial post.

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
chef

big colas are the shit as long as room conditions are optimal mold is no worry....its in the drying stage mold might show but the answerr to that is to breake down the monsters into useable nugs

Cool, you know the routine then too ;)

I've only had 2 colas barely show in the core after hanging. 1 a Thai & another got mixed up & bagged a bit early.
Freaked a bit still tho, cut down my growing size slightly & I break'em down more now.

All things aside, those plants are impressive. Doin Krusty proud :yes:

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
There are so many variables its hard to say bigger is always better cause in ways it isnt.

All that said I still somewhat agree with your initial post.

Add restrictions/details & it gets mindboggling :)

Maybe a better way to put it... "Make sure you're not under-potting" Bumping up pot size, is serious bang for the buck if you are!

My original intent was simply a cheap, easy method to boost your grow. When people ask me for a grow tip? especially new growers, I usually tell'em... A good strain, big pots & Kelp.

Even the blackest thumb can't screw it up :D should get a decent amount of decent meds too.

Big pots = big results in soil. I've done countless tests because we use both 5 and 7 gallon pots. Over and over and over and over and overand over and over
and over and over
and over and over
again we see the 7's out producing the 5's. We're talking hundreds in a room to only 5 in a room. Same clone, same veg time.

Folks your always going to have to filter through information on this forum. Some of us play and some of us do this for a living (legally) ;)

Wow, Excellent thread. Noobie here just running my first batch of bag seed. been reading posts for the last 2 weeks and my head is ready to explode. Picked up alotof useful tips and can't wait to try them.

One question I have is: Should I try and dial in what I have or find a strain that works for the way I'm growing? I'm growing in a closet with minimal investment. Can't afford fancy lights and nutes, but still want to grow the best I'm capable of.

Any advice from the Ganja Gods?

burnt out og'er
Veteran
Wow, Excellent thread. Noobie here just running my first batch of bag seed. been reading posts for the last 2 weeks and my head is ready to explode. Picked up alotof useful tips and can't wait to try them.

One question I have is: Should I try and dial in what I have or find a strain that works for the way I'm growing? I'm growing in a closet with minimal investment. Can't afford fancy lights and nutes, but still want to grow the best I'm capable of.

Any advice from the Ganja Gods?

Yes, I would advise you get dialed in on growing first before doing a lot of experimentation. One of the first indicators of nutrient deficiencies is shown in the leafs, most of the time these defs show themselves in the lowest or biggest fan leafs. If you do this technique for example, and strip off too many leafs, you may have too little left to show you the troubles you may be having. Leaving you with a plant that's suffering a lot of stress and major problems getting it back on track.
So take it easy the first grow or two, until you have the hobby dialed in for your style of growing... then experiment with defoliating.

That being said, I don't see much of a problem if you pull a few fan leafs after the plant has put on a lot of foliage, in order to allow a little more lighting to reach deeper into your plant. Said another way, if you have it dialed enough to get it half way through vegetative growth and it isn't giving you problems yet during this learning curve, then you might be ready to give it a shot...but don't say you weren't warned.

hth

Thanks 10K, so far the kids are fine. Had a couple of problems with over fert, over water, but I think I got it straight now. Just repotted into 5 gal from 5 qt. I'll try and put some pics in my gallery later tonight.

While I was intimate with them today. I noticed 2 of them smell kinda like diesel fuel, one smells like a tomato plant and one just has a generic plant smell. Plus they all have different growth characteristics. Got all the seeds from the same zip I bought.

J

jrosek

no complaints here. yield was the same as 2 gal pots. go figure

brought back some good memories from a test run...
dug up a couple pics to show...
these went straight to flower once rooted... stripped at day 10 or so.
picture.php

picture.php

day 40ish...
picture.php

and cut early at day 51 ish to make room for another project. results were good and test was successful!
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts