What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sittin in my shed....

mr.brunch

Veteran
going to plant plums too, a variety pompei. Also an heirloom brandywine
Lovely stuff… do you save seeds for next year?

The pumpkin seeds I have this year are saved from a friends giant pumpkin they bought last year- very hard seed cases , from the first 8 planted only one emerged so I checked and they’d all pushed roots out but got stuck and rotted in the shell.
I soaked some more and a couple are breaking soil, but I’ll be sanding them before soaking and planting next year.
Radishes are starting to show, as are the lettuce- peas are climbing away- but despite the sunny weather night temperatures have been relatively low so the soil is taking forever to warm up this year, so the beans are taking their time.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Peas
IMG_2371.jpeg

Radishes
IMG_2369.jpeg

Tomatoes
IMG_2372.jpeg

Lettuce emerging
IMG_2370.jpeg

Strawberry bed
IMG_2373.jpeg

And some pumpkins poking out
IMG_2368.jpeg

mr.brunch

Veteran
First barbecue of the season-
IMG_2374.jpeg

fully stuffed with meat and potato salad, I am now cooling off in the shade with a joint of amnesia and iced coffee.
IMG_2375.jpeg

Beautiful weather ☀️, sunny with a north east breeze so easy to cool down in the shade- usually humid this time of year

Hope everyone is having a good weekend :tiphat:

mr.brunch

Veteran
Gave the whole garden a good feed of miracle grow this evening, so it should be happy- 9 of the French bean plants have come up which will be plenty, 6 of the runner beans are up and I planted the pumpkins this afternoon
Starting to get greener on the patch 🌾

mr.brunch

Veteran
I have also started digging out for a small pond… mrs b has wanted one for a while, but we didn’t want to risk it when little miss b was small.
They grow up fast, so this year it is- I’ve had to level part of the garden to put the new paddling pool up as it’s bigger than last year’s (10ft instead of 6ft) so the soil has come in handy.

No fish planned, just plants and maybe a little solar fountain thing- I’m told if I put fish in I’ll need a pump and it’s a bit far to put wiring in.

Fine weather is continuing so far, but some humidity and storms on the way this weekend

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Got me motivated to prioritize planting strawberries next year. I was too early to get them at the store this year then got busy. Looks like some sweet ones!

Shade in the summer is worth more than money. Great place to rest and wait for the heat to pass. Thanks for sharing. Get some cool rocks to blend into the pond area. I nice understory tree and with ferns and hostas goes well. Will attract some frogs! :smoke:

mr.brunch

Veteran
Got me motivated to prioritize planting strawberries next year. I was too early to get them at the store this year then got busy. Looks like some sweet ones!

Shade in the summer is worth more than money. Great place to rest and wait for the heat to pass. Thanks for sharing. Get some cool rocks to blend into the pond area. I nice understory tree and with ferns and hostas goes well. Will attract some frogs! :smoke:
Thanks for stopping by mate, the strawberries originally came from a small hanging basket my local shop was selling for £0.20 because it was late season- but the runners came shooting out everywhere and they now fill 3 large pots and a 2x3 bed.
I’ll dig the bed larger when the shoots are coming out, and they’ll root themselves.

That’s a good plan for the pond- not wanting any fish due to wiring up a pump- but frogs, rocks and plants 👍👍
I’m also going to try and make some cuttings from the bamboo bush to put behind it as it should look good…. It’s a clumping black bamboo so won’t be too invasive

Hot and humid today again, but we’ve missed any thunderstorms so far

St. Phatty

Unfortunately not- she’s only a 10”x8” , so I’ve just about got room for all my gardening stuff, sofa and a chair.
I do have a power supply in there though, so I can still see in the winter evenings and it makes a handy place to power the mower/trimmer etc

I recommend adding a 5 gallon bucket to pee in, with a Stylish close-fitting cover so it doesn't smell.

Urine is a fantastic nitrogen source. I have been experimenting on dosing lettuce, from dilute to full-strength.

It survived the full-strength, but I think dilute is better.

I would like to know the molarity of the solution, a chemistry thing.

Of course then we have to know the names and amounts of the plant nutrition molecules.

I'm guessing that anything over 1 Molarity is concentrated. One mole of plant nutrition molecules per liter.

mr.brunch

Veteran
I recommend adding a 5 gallon bucket to pee in, with a Stylish close-fitting cover so it doesn't smell.

Urine is a fantastic nitrogen source. I have been experimenting on dosing lettuce, from dilute to full-strength.

It survived the full-strength, but I think dilute is better.

I would like to know the molarity of the solution, a chemistry thing.

Of course then we have to know the names and amounts of the plant nutrition molecules.

I'm guessing that anything over 1 Molarity is concentrated. One mole of plant nutrition molecules per liter.
Funny you mention it… I have a climbing rose I planted a few years back as a small stick - it’s now a bush of around 12ft tall
No prizes for guessing where the pee is deposited 😂
It’s very high in nitrates which kills some plants like grass but roses thrive on it

St. Phatty

Funny you mention it… I have a climbing rose I planted a few years back as a small stick - it’s now a bush of around 12ft tall
No prizes for guessing where the pee is deposited 😂
It’s very high in nitrates which kills some plants like grass but roses thrive on it

I have been negligent & not feeding my roses.

I have 4 or 5 that are in the 1000-flower category. I'm thinking I should start feeding them because they do amazing things with no direct water or food.

Notice how I'm being all Diplomatic and not encouraging you straight off to use Night soil in your gardening !

Even though it was one of the most common fertilizers, for all of people kind's existence - until about 100 years ago. I guess, still is, outside the US.

mr.brunch

Veteran
I have been negligent & not feeding my roses.

I have 4 or 5 that are in the 1000-flower category. I'm thinking I should start feeding them because they do amazing things with no direct water or food.

Notice how I'm being all Diplomatic and not encouraging you straight off to use Night soil in your gardening !

Even though it was one of the most common fertilizers, for all of people kind's existence - until about 100 years ago. I guess, still is, outside the US.
I’m thinking I’ll stick with miracle grow 🤣
I made a few cuttings from the big rose last summer, from the shoots it made after flowering. It took about 5-6 weeks to root in jars of water, potted them in small pots for a couple of weeks , then put 2 in the ground and gave the rest away
Only small still, but flowering in their first year 👍
image.jpg

It’s another warm evening- iced coffee time

mr.brunch

Veteran
Had some nice amounts of rain the last couple of days, and the garden is loving it- exploding with growth, still very warm with plenty of sun in between. I’ll have to start training the pumpkins soon , and the runner beans have started to climb.
I’ll get a few pics later :tiphat: