What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sittin in my shed....

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I was looking at those bat-box things.. not sure where I’d put one, we’ve got swifts that nest in the eaves every year -noisy little things, but nice to watch swooping about on a summer evening , and they eat a lot of insects.
Supposed to be endangered birds, so the least we can do is let them stay a few months in summer

You can just nail it to a tree or hydro pole. They love street light. lol

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I've probably seen one of the the biggest man-made bat homes. Lol
It's a giant brick silo looking thing. It may have been a silo at one time and they bricked around it. There's all these slots between the brick for the bats to enter.

They even tried to make a bat design in brick. The mason used difference color brick and laid them in a silhouette of a bat.. I guess it looks like a bat. Lol! After I was told it was bat. Lol

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I've probably seen one of the the biggest man-made bat homes. Lol
It's a giant brick silo looking thing. It may have been a silo at one time and they bricked around it. There's all these slots between the brick for the bats to enter.

They even tried to make a bat design in brick. The mason used difference color brick and laid them in a silhouette of a bat.. I guess it looks like a bat. Lol! After I was told it was bat. Lol

Ah.... smart. Free guano once a year. lol

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Check out batcon.org They're pretty much the authority on bat real estate lol. Like I said, they are super choosy about roosts. The size of spacing between roosting cavities, color according to region, height, proximity to obstructions like trees, and having a dry and draft-free home. One that is properly caulked and roofed are all things critical to a successful bat resort. Being close to water is a plus also.

I have one that my grandpa and I built long ago. Too many trees in my yard now and not enough sun exposure to put it up and expect success. I'll try and post a few pictures tommorow.

JustSumTomatoes

This is a bat house designed for nursery colonies (60-100 bats) that are raising pups. A house for a bachelor colony (50 or less) of just males that plan to turn it into a frat house (beer bottles, bongs, and all) would be simpler to build and only have a single roosting slot instead of multiple.

The emblem on the front represents good fortune in China. Bats are considered good luck (and good eating) throughout the orient and are a sign of a healthy environment. The five bats that are in a circle represent the 5 blessings in Chinese culture... Longevity, wealth, good health, doing good, and peace. For the bachelor house, Greek lettering indicating the specific fraternity may be more appropriate.

Attachments

• 20200528_100204.jpg
    20200528_100204.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200528_100238.jpg
    20200528_100238.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 21
  • bats.jpg
    bats.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 22

JustSumTomatoes

And if you can't find any bats, then get a bat detector. It brings their echolocation frequencies down to a level we can hear. You can listen in to them calling out to "see" their environment through sound interpretation. A pickup in speed indicates they are homing in on something. A feeding buzz indicates a near hit or miss. They have different tactics involving mid-air martial arts to take down different insects. On a broad spectrum they eat all kinds of stuff. Pollen, fish, blood, etc. Each has a different voice and particular species can be identified by the frequency they echolocate in. I'm batshit crazy for bats by the way.

Sorry for turning your shed into the bat cave brunch. This was brought to you by the letter "B." :)

Attachments

• 20200529_214501.jpg
    20200529_214501.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200529_214548.jpg
    20200529_214548.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 20

mr.brunch

Veteran
Bats, buds, beans, barbecues... it’s all good :biggrin:
Pretty much any topic is well received in the shed, which has become something of a sun shelter the last few weeks.
Blazing sunshine continues and the veg are loving it , pumpkins still drooping a little in the afternoon but the hosepipe soon deals with that

mr.brunch

Veteran
Gave the veg a nice soaking this evening, all coming up well.. lost a couple of potato plants along the way but more came up than I expected so it kind of evens out
Spuds, lettuce and tomatoes....

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Bats, buds, beans, barbecues... it’s all good :biggrin:
Pretty much any topic is well received in the shed, which has become something of a sun shelter the last few weeks.

odd that bats are on list of topics. :biggrin: sitting out on patio right at dusk tonight when i was surrounded by the little critters. i think they are roosting in my attic! which might explain why (knock on wood) i have not been bitten nor even SEEN a damn skeeter so far, lol. gonna have to sit & watch attic access tomorrow at dark & see if i see any coming out.

JustSumTomatoes

While on the nocturnal animals topic, I was doing some night fishing for largemouth last night and a huge great horned owl swooped down out of a tree and nailed my scum frog. As it was flying off all I could think was please don't get hooked or tangled.

Wrangling an owl in the dark would have been quite a show. My drag was screaming for about 100 feet out until it dropped it and flew back to the tree it came out of. Man are they strong! It was all like "what the hell was that?" and just watched me catch fish for the remainder of the night. I love experiences like that.

Last year when picking up the last of my harvest out bush there were a pair of owls watching me chopping plants down and calling back and forth. They kept flying over me and making me paranoid lol.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Not a good time to run out of buds.
Mrs B is suffering pretty badly the last few days with her depression- she’s done amazingly well this last 12 weeks or so that we’ve been shut in, but it’s all getting on top of her.
Trying to get hold of my guy who usually sorts out, but no luck yet... 3 or so weeks until I can chop anything down.
Wish me luck

Cmoon

Have you ever tried the dry joint wipe test m8?

inspired by an article from Soma, tobaco joint wiped on lower resinous leaf and bud, im greedy so do the tops:headbange

CAUTION:party: Trippy as it comes but kept me off my dealers phone 15 years.

bests cm

mr.brunch

Veteran
I have never heard that one, but it’s definitely worth a try.... sometimes a smoke is the only thing that will level her out. She’s not a heavy smoker like me, just a few tokes here and there but when the medication isn’t working that day, a joint is like the difference between night and day.
Thanks mate :tiphat:

Cmoon

Steady in der buddy, its addictive shit...pmsl..youll end up doing a ten skinner.

see if i can find you info, i spotted it in soft secrets 15 years back.

shit hits you like a brick then you want to dance:headbange

mr.brunch

Veteran
One little ray of light today- washing machine company emailed me and asked me to check the serial number on our machine which we’ve had about three years.
Turns out it’s on a recall list, so they are sending out a brand new one for free, and picking up the old one... result!
We have kids, so the old machine has done a lot of miles so far, and is probably getting worn out anyway... saved me a few hundred :biggrin:

JustSumTomatoes

Always nice when that sort of thing happens, maybe not so much for the guy who's house burned down from a faulty washing machine though. That happened with a hot water tank several years ago, someone's house blew up over a fault in the valve or igniter, something of that nature. Unfortunately (maybe fortunately) it was under a year old. Either way new stuff for free is always nice when it works to your advantage. :biggrin:

mr.brunch

Veteran
Lettuce nearly ready for harvest, courgettes forming and the first cucumber appearing....

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Runner beans are snaking their way up the nets, and a few little tomatoes are popping up too... garden is looking better every day

mr.brunch

Veteran
Definitely mate, especially peas and potatoes- fresher the better.
The peas taste so good straight from the pod as soon as they’re picked, I’m unsure if any will make it to the kitchen :biggrin: