What's new

Single part feed

Ca++

What single part feeds are there? Separate grow and bloom is fine, I'm looking for just one bottle at a time though.

I have used GT's Ionic for ages, but struggle with dosing pumps, or rather, the pump to stir it. It gathers all the soil extracts like a magnet.
I have floranonsence, but it's gritty shloop that molds if you water it down.
I could use 2 parts, but it's twice the equipment to go wrong. Plus, I have never felt any advantage going for twice as many bottles.
Terra Aquatic sounds like it's GT in another bottle.

It's difficult to research, as bottles don't tell you things like consistency.

Perhaps I need a better way of stirring the Ionic, but I need feed like today, so thought I would ask for any ideas.

goingrey

Terra Aquatica NovaMax (GHE Floranova) and DualPart (GHE Floraduo) - separate grow/bloom

Plagron Terra and Alga - separate grow/bloom

Aptus All in One Liquid

Growth Technology Ionic Soil and Hydro - separate grow/bloom

HESI Hydro - separate grow/bloom
HESI Coco

Green Planet Medi One

Biobizz - separate grow/bloom

Sure also dry fertilizers like the Maxibloom which for us in Europe would be Terra Aquatica DryPart nowadays, Greenhouse Feeding, surely others..

Ca++

Thanks lads.
I'm going into coco again (sorry, I should of said) and think I can get Hesi, so will look that up.
I tried Aptus I think. Very concentrated iirc. I didn't really take to it, but then I really do like the Ionic. It's loaded with the black gunk though (humic fulvic) which clogs the circulation pump, which has to be in the feed bottle to stir it.
The floranova has actual grit in it. From some sort of white clay. The (peristaltic) dosing pumps won't like it. It's also nothing like what it says on the bottle. I had it tested (as you do) and it had over double the N stated. They told me they only publish minimum contents, as that is the legal requirement where they are. In any case, I know the numbers I want, and can't get there if I don't know where I'm starting from. So the entire brand is useless to me.
I just did a plagron/canna run in soil, which was alright after pulling the N and Ca in, that they lack (or simply don't have) but in coco it's two part. I think I might have to run two bottles, or really get thinking about how to stir my ionic. Some sort of V bottomed flask, with pump takeoff point? It seems a bit much (though an inverted pop bottle is pretty much that)

I keep thinking about powders. I would need to make up a stock solution though. They don't seem to give examples on suppliers sites, and I wanted to buy today (I drove an hour to a shut shop, but I did get some nice tiles..)

Cactus Squatter

General Hydroponics MaxiBloom 5-15-14. Can be used from start to finish. No need for the Grow part.
After years of running multi bottle Canna nutes I swapped to the maxibloom kiss method and had far better results for far less money. It worked great for me when I did Hydro.

Cactus Squatter

I’ve never gotten maxibloom to dissolve 100%. But I guess it still works that way, as many friends have the same issue, but use it with no problems.
I always let mine sit overnight with multiple stirrings. Usually most of it would dissolve that way.

Ca++

Terra Aquatica DryPart Grow looks okay, if I could trust them to be anywhere close to the spec.
1g per Liter = 120-26-130 which is a nice Bloom feed by today's standards. Just need to make it 50% stronger, and see what it's doing about Ca&Mg. As a coco grower, I'm pushing my luck, using general purpose feeds.
The numbers are nice, as you could also use PK boost, to lower N.

The HESI doesn't look good. Truly one bottle, there isn't even grow and bloom. Just a 3-4-5 making 120-70-160 @4ml per liter. Far too much P to ignore.

Last edited:

Ca++

I'm thinking maxibloom is having issues that auto dosing isn't going to get along with.

For those unfamiliar, this is a peristaltic pump
iu

The fluid passes through the grey rubber pipe. The orange wheel turns, and the two white tips (often rollers) massage the fluid though the grey rubber tube.
Any grit won't be helpful.

By sizing the tube, and using gearboxes and stepper motors, these can deliver very low flow rates, with good accuracy once primed. Making them even suited to acid delivery. Though such a fancy motor/controller combination is about £50. While a cheap 120ml per minute brushed motor version, is about a tenner. I can use them for food (and have a few) but brushed motors are not reliable enough for constant use. Just holiday kit really. which is where I have run automation before, and found that the pump keep my Ionic stirred was clogging up, stealing food.

Ca++

I may have an answer to my stirring problem
iu

It's a 206 expansion tank. With it's rounded bottom, and offset top hose, I might get that to swirl. Drawing from the bottom, and back in the side.
iu

It's a bit small for any serious use, but with limited options, it's bigger than the VW ball type.

Most other options leave areas for heavier bits to settle, or be placed by rotating forces. The drilling guy spoke of thumper pumps in each corner. I think they used an IBC with propeller in the top, so something like a big bike pump was in each corner, for a quick 'whoosh'
If I hang this, I could strap a rabbit to it's side. Not the same thumper he was speaking of, but might cause some agitation

Last edited:

Tomatoesonly

Maxibloom has WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much P in it. That crap was formulated when Bro Science was king of all nutrients. Piss on GH for never correcting what they KNOW is a error in formulation.

Ca++

The Hesi is 3-4-5
My Ionic Bloom is 1-1-2 (1.5-1.4-3.1)
This means running the Ionic for 150n, gives 62p. Which I find problematically high, using small pots. While the 255K is far enough ahead, to keep most label readers happy. Pulled back a third, to the bottles mixing directiions, it's about 100N 40P 170K . Numbers that suffice.

It's hard to shake me from the Ionic products. As time moves on, the new research just makes it look better. As a base feed, it's K is a bit high, but has not been a problem. Even using it in veg. If I used the 3-4-5 Hesi, I can have 100-60-135, which is the P a bit high instead. This so something I do have issues with. Considering I run an N around 160, that P is pushing 100. That sort of P is building big strong plants through stretch, then becomes a toxicity problem for me. As it hangs around while the coco dries back. Maybe it's just me, but with uni level studies consistently saying 30P is ample, I don't want 60P in my base. That's not a base you can build on as needed. Giving me 100P is just toxic, and I must, to get my 150N. Or my leaves are falling off. 160-180N are the current guidance. With 30-60P. Depending who you read. With K looking undecided, with huge differences between studies. From useless to double N.

Right now I'm still using Canna Terra single, which has no Ca or Mg. With calmag to give me 50 15 plus 40 more N (1.5ml/l)

Ca++

The need for single part isn't quite so important now, but still I want it.
I have found a single stepper motor controller, is happy enough running two motors. So with A&B types, It's just one more pump and head, which is about $25. So having to pump from two bottles, isn't that much more bother. The Saint-Gobain Pharmed BPT tubing can pump gas, or water to the top of your house. It has a good seal if the pump head holds it right. So there should be no issues with siphoning, that leave the sets of pipework filled differently. The website suggests I half the concentration of my acid. I will drop it to about 10%, and the 1000 hour tube lifespan will be carefully watched. A meter is about a tenner, but will last years. Making it $40 more to run A&B, not a single bottle solution.
A tube, pump head, motor, controller and user interface comes to about $60. Which will be needed for dosing any extra bottles, along with my A&B. Unless I water them down, so they are used at the same rate. So can share the speed control of the main dosing.

I have, in the past, seen that a 5L bottle, in hard water variety, used more nitric acid. So, seeing 5L of feed, needed about 100ml of nitric, I poured it in. Literally poured the acid, into the feed bottle. It worked fine, and I kept some aside, to use many months later to further test it. Still fine.
This was useful when I was developing early dosing sets, just to get a week away. It might also be useful, if your house-sitter is useless.
I tried to put the PK in... but it made milk.

Broggemann

Maxibloom has WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much P in it. That crap was formulated when Bro Science was king of all nutrients. Piss on GH for never correcting what they KNOW is a error in formulation.

I know, there's one study... but I made a different experience. Especially under LEDs, you need a lot of P/K (because you need a lot of Ca).

Ca = P is a good starting point during flower development.

Latest posts

Latest posts