What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Simple Harvest and Cure (Step By Step)

majestral

Rumple,

Just have to leave a big Thank You for you and all your input. When we first started growing, we read all your tutorials on another site, we started out with your home made bubble buckets, and now are using Monster Ebb and Flow systems. But you got us on the right track and we learned a lot from you and others on that site. We came over here to do a test grow for Cannaventure Seeds, and here you are! Thanks again for all your efforts and dedication to the art of growing!

Peace,
The Majestras

majestral

Oh yea, forgot to mention your LED test grow! We loved it! We had already purchased a Supernova LED from HID Hut at that point, but for half price from someone. We felt the same way you did after the first grow. We ended up buying HPS and now use the LED for the undergrowth, which works amazing! No more popcorn and mass trich production under the canopy with it, but would never use it for main lighting, unless we had about 4 of them and they're about 1,200 bucks a piece! Well, thanks again Rump, from the ones that were lurking behind the scenes!

Peace,
The Majestrals

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Many thanks for posting this harvesting and curing guide. I'm in a place without a cool dry dark place. The only cool dark place I have is my fridge! Would that be an ok spot to store curing buds?

JustDoIt

Great thread, thanks Rumple! :thank you:

Took a couple of branches a little early, I'll be harvesting about 6-8x (my guess?) more next week or the week after. Nirvana's White Widow and Barney's Blue Cheese. Today's day 3 from cutting these branches and hanging to dry. Trimmed last night, got my paper bag and shreddings ready to go :dance013:

I quick dried some of the small popcorn and I can tell this is gonna turn out GREAT.
:greenstars::kos::greenstars:

Attachments

• dryingbudz01.jpg
    dryingbudz01.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 16

moonymonkey

thnx rumple..good stuff++..i thinks u hit the nail on the head,with harvest time and hay smell...for some first time growers,if the plants are not doing there best,alot of times ,harvest time can be SOONER ...for some peeps...the stress me thinks...:tiphat: moon/babar:dance013:

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
I am sure both work just fine. You can find thousands of great working methods for drying/curing. My method is more for the guy who wants to dry and cure his weed with household items. No special equipment is needed.

this is what drew me in, cause this is exactly how i grow and do things, keep shit as simple as possible.

im definitely using your method with my up coming grow, im in week 3 but am all too glad i found it now!

QUESTIONS:
1) when you say "churn the buds" do you mean to take the buds out of the bags after the 2 days and then put everything back in or is the churning more along the lines of shaking the bags to kinda mix things up?

2) right now my grow area is subject to the ambient temps outside +/- a few degrees. i have dried in the cold before but with your method should/would i have to leave the buds/branched up a lil longer to compensate for more cold temps? (meaning to say that in the off chance that its 20F or less outside and i have to dry then i dont have a choice i would have to dry anyway, made a deal with the devil, cant bring anything into the house or too much of anything)

3) what do you think about skipping the hanging step and putting the wet buds straight into the bags (keeping the layering step) and letting a fan oscillate over the bags for 2 days, "churn the bags" and then back under the fan for another 2 days?

with my upcoming grow i plan to follow your tutorial to the letter but just had some ideas floating around my head that seemed viable. ive already started collecting our trader joes shopping bags and i managed to scrounge up some of the smaller brown paper lunch bags from when my kids were in daycamp.

Sorry took so long to get back to ya.

I have not tried drying in temps below 50 degrees. You need to get at least half the water out of the branches before bagging it. Bagging it full wet might work, but it would be a risk to saturate the paper and get mold.

Churn was a bad term I used. I stick my hand into the center of the bag (gentle and slow), then I rotate my open hand 360 degrees slowly. Pull my hand out and put the bags back in the drying room/space.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
This time of year, most of the big hardware outlets are selling little "personal" heaters for 50% off. I bought a "small room" heater for my colosseum. (it's a 2.5' x 6' room. That's small, right?) It uses a max wattage of 1100w and has a built in thermostat so I can set it at "70" and it only comes on when my lights go off.

Anyway.. if you are trying to dry in temps below 50 degrees, why not pick one up and put it in the closet (or some other small space) with your plants. That way you're not trying to raise the temp of the whole place, just the area with the buds.

I paid $10 for it about 2 weeks ago.

moonymonkey

hey,mine finshed outa the bags at 58%,jared them for 4days,humidity went back up to 69% were it peaked,now im burping jars and down to 66% humidity...waiting for 64-65% to see wats up....:dance013: peace themoon/

moonymonkey

dont know yet,but wandering if i should have put them in jar then let them humidity peak at 64-65%....time only tells?....

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
moony, as long as your humidity never dips too low (too dry) and you aren't seeing perspiration inside the jar (too wet), you'll be fine. Keep doing what you're doing.

moonymonkey

wen we were teenagers,wen we bought weed,we put in our pocket all night,kept doing it for weeks the nugs got harder,an more potent...stuff still i guess was still curing,with body heat,just a story...im at 66% now...waiting for blastoff time...tic,tic..swipe an b done...lol,s,highs u mak your owns..peace mm/:ying:

moonymonkey

well just found out a new self watering system,im trying,hand watering it,says it cant be overwatered,buul sht,even with meter at 1and a 1/2..wen its this close dosent show much..but wen buds lack potency,with bag seed trial..=overwatered...cant absorb calcium = tiny potency...good thing tried this wit bag seed first..so i wont waste any more time on rubing jared buds against my ass an ball...to make better...dam i need kisses or somthing...lol mm/

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
will be harvesting tomorrow, and giving this style a run, 3xNL (2 and 1.1/2 if you wanna be technical about it).

i'll take pics for sure to add to the testimonials about it. the theory is sound so its worth a try for sure.

besides the OP is my kinda guy, does what he needs to do with what he has!! (the members on here should start a "DIY handbook" thread)

Latest posts

Latest posts