What's new

Shroom Hunting in the City?

H

Hal

NserUame said:
It should be noted that when they say FEW exceptions that means roughly 12 species of mushroom. 4 to 6 of which can be found througout the United States. Like I said before, don't rely on just this please. Just because it may turn blue does not neccessarily mean it's edible, a couple kids where I live died not to long ago because they 'read a book'.

Yeah...you're right...reading books is a stupid thing to do....fuckin end up getting ya kilt.

You can't be serious.

NserUame

Hal said:
Yeah...you're right...reading books is a stupid thing to do....fuckin end up getting ya kilt.

You can't be serious.

I can't find the article, as it's a local paper and I'm unsure of when they went online.

http://www.sph.umich.edu/~kwcee/mpcr/reports.htm

That's all the known deaths caused from mushroom poisoninng in the last 10 years or so. I aplogize for using a vague term such as 'not to long ago'. As I remember it the kids picked a species of Amanita (not muscaria) and one died relatively quickly because he had some sort of allergic reaction. The other suffered severe kiddney issues and I believe he later died from those complications, I didn't pay much attention to it, I wish I had so I wouldn't be labeled a shit stirrer.

My only intentions here are to tell you that mushroom picking is not something you can get out of a book. Can you look at two different strains of marijuana and tell me what they are? Can you even tell me the difference between a Norweigan Maple and a Red Maple? I'm sorry if I don't want some kid to come on these forums and get the idea he can go out and find a free trip. It wasn't my intention to bring a bad name to magic mushrooms, I do love them dearly, however they need to be treated with respect.

Lastly I want to say I'm sorry for taking this thread off track, if you want to flame me leave it in my PM or karma box, not here.

Nikijad4210

Veteran
A lot of people here are misinformed.
Yeah, I can see that. There's a good deal of information, looking for only blue bruising for one example, that can prove fatal. Never been hunting myself, but I know damn well that there's mushrooms other than cubes that bruise blue and look very much like cubes, if not almost identical to them, and at LEAST one of them is extreamely deadly.

I would like to ask that before anyone else decides to throw that kind of potentially deadly advice up again, PLEASE educate yourself on wild mushrooms a little better. Chrimeny, I'm not a shroom hunter, but even I know blue bruising isn't a "safe to ingest" garuntee.

Yummybud

Veteran
you know picking wild mushrooms is very dangerous right?

a lot of people die every year from picking wild mushrooms , not just people looking for magic mushrooms but also edible mushroom. The thing is there are so many species of mushrooms and many of them will look exactly the same to a person who isn't a professional and even professional pickers get tricked. A lot of poisonous mushrooms will resemble other mushrooms and people pick them and die.

to me the risk isn't worth it. If you eat a poisonous shroom by accident you're pretty much gauaranteed to die a slow death unless you find a new liver quick.

just a warning to people who want to just go out and pick wild mushrooms.

Yummybud

Veteran
only safe way to pick wild mushrooms is to go with a pro. easier way get a kit and grow them.

WolfSpider

"He's a veteran shroom hunter, and a survivalist, so I know he knows what to look for, picking the wrong thing won't be a problem."
i have been doing this for a while now. no i havent gone out hunting them for a couple of years but i dont think things have changed mutch. mothernature being slow to do that.

G

I can't find the article, as it's a local paper and I'm unsure of when they went online.

http://www.sph.umich.edu/~kwcee/mpcr/reports.htm
Not all of those listed are deaths, I only read one at the top that said it was the first shroom death in years, meaning that they are few and very far between, you have to eat a very dangerous strain and the kid did a poisonous amanita, but he also had an allergic reaction to them, meaning he was a first timer, any xperienced shroomer knows dont eat wild amanitas and if you do you have to bake them to break down the toxins and then they can still cause liver and kidney damage. Stay away from the amanitas.

but I know damn well that there's mushrooms other than cubes that bruise blue and look very much like cubes, if not almost identical to them, and at LEAST one of them is extreamely deadly.
Now I'm not saying your wrong but can someone please find me a pic and tutorial about a poisonous shroom that bruises blue, for that matter I could be wrong but I've never seen one. Also not all trip shrooms bruise blue, they are harder to distinguish but look on shroomery many don't bruise, and the ones that do are usually whitish flesh psilocyben shrooms if not all.

Gangabiss

free your SELF
Veteran
Dank1 I don't know what the hell you were eating but there are no psilocybin containing mushrooms (or even Fly Agaric) that have 'red puss' oozing out of them...sounds to me like you're making it up or you ate some poisonous mushrooms.

In response to the thread, grow your own mushrooms. That is the only way to really be sure of what you have.
You may be sure you have the right kind when you're picking them, but once they've been eaten and the effects start to come on you're going to get a little though that maybe they were poisonous after all and you've fucked yourself...that could turn into a very bad trip.

G

Nikijad4210 said:
Yeah, I can see that. There's a good deal of information, looking for only blue bruising for one example, that can prove fatal. Never been hunting myself, but I know damn well that there's mushrooms other than cubes that bruise blue and look very much like cubes, if not almost identical to them, and at LEAST one of them is extreamely deadly.

Yes there are other mushroom varieties that bruise blue. But Psilocybe Cubensis are part of the Ageric (gilled mushroom) family which can be identified by the blue bruising. Sure you have to know something about what youre looking for but blue bruising is undoubtely the easiest and safest way to identify Psilocybe Cubensis. Much safer than looking for brown caps. :biglaugh:
I am very aware that there are other hallucinagenic varieties of shrooms out there. But Psilocybe Cubensis are the most prevelant and to identify other varieties, especially for someone new to shroom hunting, a field guide is needed. There are also mycotology groups that meet several times a year to identify different types of mushrooms. You could take you shrooms there for identification but Ill bet youll get some strange looks if you pull out an Aminita and ask what it is. :D

would like to ask that before anyone else decides to throw that kind of potentially deadly advice up again, PLEASE educate yourself on wild mushrooms a little better. Chrimeny, I'm not a shroom hunter, but even I know blue bruising isn't a "safe to ingest" garuntee.

Yes please educate yourself!!!!!!!!

Notice the blue bruises....

My advice is to buy some spores and a pressure cooker and grow your own. After a few flushes, you can bury your spent cakes outside and have many more harvests. Growing shrooms is easier, stealthier, smarter than growing bud. Good luck with whatever you choose but stick with the correct information please.
:joint:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts